Good .22 rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good .22 rifle?

cliffsta
06-30-2012, 23:33
Well I just purchased my first firearm, a Gen4 G22... just waiting on the background check to go through so I can take delivery. But I'd like to get a .22 rifle to shoot for fun. Any suggestions for an inexpensive, simple .22 just to have?

hogship
06-30-2012, 23:37
Well I just purchased my first firearm, a Gen4 G22... just waiting on the background check to go through so I can take delivery. But I'd like to get a .22 rifle to shoot for fun. Any suggestions for an inexpensive, simple .22 just to have?

Do you have any preferences as to action type?

There are quite a few options........bolt, semi-auto, pump, lever, single shot.......

ooc

cliffsta
06-30-2012, 23:54
Semi-auto or bolt-action would be my preference. Though I'm open to pump or lever.

AA#5
07-01-2012, 00:00
I've had good luck with the Marlin Mod. 60. I think it was only $120.00. Nice sights & high cap mag. tube. Very accurate & functions 100% with CCI Maxi mags but only 75% with Remington Golden Bullet.

Gregg702
07-01-2012, 00:00
A Ruger 10/22 is always a solid choice.

BenjiEDF
07-01-2012, 00:13
The CZ-452 Military Trainer is the finest .22lr rifle a person can own and I will state that with AUTHORITY. It has very nice iron sights and is the most accurate .22lr you can get for the price (w/sights). Savage Mark II is second.

I absolutely love Ruger and the 10/22 is fun, but if you are new to firearms the CZ will be a better first rifle. You can become an excellent marksman by training with it alone right out of the box.

:steamed: /flame on! :-D

There are other options out there, but I really do feel this is the best.

NEOH212
07-01-2012, 03:33

+1 :cool:

Breadman03
07-01-2012, 04:17
I have a Savage Mark II and am very pleased with it. It has fed and fired every type of ammo I put in it and is very accurate. I put a cheap scope on it with see through rings, because I'm a die hard iron sight fan and I want to be able to teach my kids how to use irons without having to remove the scope.

deputy tom
07-01-2012, 05:18
Another vote for the 10/22. tom.:cool:

NBT
07-01-2012, 05:39
My Ruger 10/22 has been proudly serving me since 1984...still shoot's great.

packeagle
07-01-2012, 05:53
Savage Mark II is a good rifle. I really like the heavier barrel on the target model I used at the camp I worked at.

shootingrn
07-01-2012, 05:59
I've had my 10/22 since 1982 and still love it. I bought one for my son just like my father did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vafish
07-01-2012, 06:03
Another vote for the savage mkii.

The 10-22 is a great rifle, but you will concentrate more on accuracy with the bolt action.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hairtrigger
07-01-2012, 06:13
Another vote for the 10/22

hogship
07-01-2012, 06:18
Semi-auto or bolt-action would be my preference. Though I'm open to pump or lever.

OK, it looks like you are open to just about anything!

There hasn't been any bad suggestions, so far.

Several years ago, I came across a used Rossi 62SA pump rifle that's turned out to be a favorite of mine. It was only $185, and with iron sights is very accurate and fun. If you are willing to buy a used rifle, it opens up a lot of possibilities for quality rifles that wouldn't be in your price range, if you bought it new. If you intend to scope it, this wouldn't be a good suggestion, but it is a darn fine rifle......

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/392973040.jpg

A Marlin bolt rifle is always a good choice, too......simple and accurate, magazine fed. (2nd one down)

The two at the bottom are 10/22's, and are always a good choice for a good, accurate, and reliable 22 semi-automatic that isn't too bad on the budget.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/112839044.jpg

The one at the top is a Marlin 39a lever rifle, and the 3rd one down is an Izhmash biathlon........both of these are fine rifles, but definitely not cheap.

ooc

JaPes
07-01-2012, 07:18
I'd like to get a .22 rifle to shoot for fun. Any suggestions for an inexpensive, simple .22 just to have?

Semi-auto or bolt-action would be my preference.

+1 (Ruger 10/22):cool:

Another vote for the 10/22.

My Ruger 10/22 has been proudly serving me since 1984...still shoot's great.

I've had my 10/22 since 1982 and still love it.

Another vote for the 10/22
I agree with these guys. If you want inexpensive, fun, & reliable, a Ruger 10/22 Carbine with wood stock is the way to go. I enjoyed shooting my Ruger 10/22 out of the box.

If you ever get the urge to accessorize and/or modify, the 10/22 has lots of aftermarket support.

Stevekozak
07-01-2012, 07:21
I've had good luck with the Marlin Mod. 60. I think it was only $120.00. Nice sights & high cap mag. tube. Very accurate & functions 100% with CCI Maxi mags but only 75% with Remington Golden Bullet.
I would second this. I have had great experience with the 60. I prefer it over a 10/22, although loading a tube feed is a bit more inconvienent than loading the 10/22 mag. I would say out of the box the 60 is a tad more accurate, and mine has been very reliable.

mac66
07-01-2012, 07:29
Ruger 10/22. I have about 20 22 rifles, the 10/22 is the most used and most versatile.

BTW, buy a 10/22, put a scope or good set of sights (Tech Sights) and a web sling on it and take it to an Appleseed. It is a ton of fun.

amorican88
07-01-2012, 07:38
Another on the 10/22 bandwagon. You really can't go wrong.

eracer
07-01-2012, 07:39
Ask yourself this question:

"Do I want a simple, inexpensive .22 that will help me learn to shoot? Or do I want one that will help me learn to plink?"

If the answer is the former, then get a bolt-action CZ or Savage.
If the latter, get a 10/22.

Aceman
07-01-2012, 08:23
The 10-22 is a great rifle, but you will concentrate more on accuracy with the bolt action.

Really? Why?

No offense Var, but I think that statement is absolute BS.

You are making the assumption that an adult interested in shooting well IS NOT ABLE to prevent themselves from pulling the trigger out of control with a semi, and thus won't develop good accuracy.

My 8 year could do it. So either my 8 yr old is freakng super kid, or youthink the OP is an ADD tard.

Here is an alternative: They will develop MORE accuracy with the 10/22 because they will spend way more VALUE ADD time on trigger. (Value Add is a big word for 'the stuff that is important).

Plus - as originally stated - he said for FUN. Bolt is not FUN.

I understand exactly what you mean, but I think it is an old fart myth.

Aceman
07-01-2012, 08:25
Ask yourself this question:

"Do I want a simple, inexpensive .22 that will help me learn to shoot? Or do I want one that will help me learn to plink?"

If the answer is the former, then get a bolt-action CZ or Savage.
If the latter, get a 10/22.

How is plinking not learning to shoot? At some point you have developed some serious plinking skill. You develop that by shooting. A lot.

You think the plinker can't shoot? Again - alternate theory: The plinker is a FAR better shooter. They are able to shoot accurately under many varied conditions. Ever seen an old guy slow firing at the range who couldn't double tap to save his life? Literally....

Here is a little drill to demonstrate that.

Side by side in two stalls
- One shooter eyes closed, gun lowered but ready.
- One shooter eyes open and weapon up but not aimed.

Move two targets to the same distance

Tap both shooters on the shoulder for a "go" signal

See who takes who out. You'll see a lot of "technically perfect" guys lining up the shot while shooter number two has already put three rounds in the target, one of which was a stopper.

Yes - good basics are good basics. But they are only a component of good shooting. And they are easily learned by anyone who wants to, especially adults. But if they want to shoot fast they will, and all the bolt will do is bore them.

Docmusolf
07-01-2012, 08:33
If you are looking to hand it down you may want to look at the browning bl-22. It great to shoot and will last a life time.

porschedog
07-01-2012, 08:45
+1 more for the 10/22
Inexpensive, reliable, fun, accurate über-customizable

Stevekozak
07-01-2012, 08:46
Really? Why?

Why can't bolts be fun? Actually, in lot of ways, they are more fun because you get to do something besides just pull the trigger, Ie: manipulate the bolt. While I don't necessarily think one will be any better or worse a shooter, using a semi over a bolt, I don't think that semi's are any more "fun" than a bolt.

eracer
07-01-2012, 09:14
How is plinking not learning to shoot? At some point you have developed some serious plinking skill. You develop that by shooting. A lot.

You think the plinker can't shoot? Again - alternate theory: The plinker is a FAR better shooter. They are able to shoot accurately under many varied conditions. Ever seen an old guy slow firing at the range who couldn't double tap to save his life? Literally....

Here is a little drill to demonstrate that.

Side by side in two stalls
- One shooter eyes closed, gun lowered but ready.
- One shooter eyes open and weapon up but not aimed.

Move two targets to the same distance

Tap both shooters on the shoulder for a "go" signal

See who takes who out. You'll see a lot of "technically perfect" guys lining up the shot while shooter number two has already put three rounds in the target, one of which was a stopper.

Yes - good basics are good basics. But they are only a component of good shooting. And they are easily learned by anyone who wants to, especially adults. But if they want to shoot fast they will, and all the bolt will do is bore them.Perhaps I should have said "Shoot with precision" and "Shoot with rapid target engagement for the purposes of learning tactical skills using an inexpensive weapon system."

Sorry if I offended any other plinkers out there...

40 0'Glock
07-01-2012, 09:49
Savage MkII. I really enjoy mine. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods for $160 including the Bushnell 3-9 x 40 scope. Laminate stock, standard trigger (no accu trigger). It is extremely accurate and comes to every range trip. Lots of fun. Great way to introduce new folks to shooting as well.

Bruce M
07-01-2012, 09:50
You might want to check your local stores as some have a few .22 rifles and sometimes some used ones. There seem to be few bad ones. Then it becomes a matter of how much you wish to spend and what type action you want.

The CZ-452 Military Trainer is the finest .22lr rifle a person can own and I will state that with AUTHORITY. ...

I am guessing that your AUTHORITY has never tried for instance about anything made by Anschutz and possibly not a 541 T. I like the CZ 452 alot but I remain unconvinced that it is the finest by quite a margin.

Scamp
07-01-2012, 10:04
I'm going to jump on the 10/22 bandwagon. It is a fun gun to shoot, tons of aftermarket support, and it gives you the option of some rapid fire fun or taking your time with each shot, something a bolt can't offer.
I'll shoot 10-20 mags thru mine taking my time and trying to improve my groupings, then I'll put in a hi-cap mag and blast away! :supergrin:

BenjiEDF
07-01-2012, 10:19
I am guessing that your AUTHORITY has never tried for instance about anything made by Anschutz and possibly not a 541 T. I like the CZ 452 alot but I remain unconvinced that it is the finest by quite a margin.

I haven't tried an Anschutz no, but I've out shot some people that own them with my $360 CZ :supergrin: Anshultz's are very accurate but they are over a $1,000 !! This guy is asking about a first rifle, first .22lr. The CZ-452 is an incredible value.

KiltedSoule
07-01-2012, 10:49
It doesn't appear that anyone has any love for the 597... any particular reason(s)?
I do love my old 9422!

hogship
07-01-2012, 10:51
I haven't tried an Anschutz no, but I've out shot some people that own them with my $360 CZ :supergrin: Anshultz's are very accurate but they are over a $1,000 !! This guy is asking about a first rifle, first .22lr. The CZ-452 is an incredible value.

I have out-shot some people with their CZ452.....with a Marlin 880SQ!

A bullet doesn't care what the rest of the rifle looks like as it's traveling down and exits the barrel. There are good and better examples of the exact same rifle.......some are more accurate than others.......including Anschutz!

No question that an accurate rifle makes a difference, but it's the shooter that seals the deal! :wavey:

ooc

BTW: Contrary to the beliefs of some others, here........If the rifle has reasonable accuracy, someone who puts the time and effort into learning to shoot well, can become an excellent shooter.....and, it matters not if we're discussing bench rest, or popping empty shotgun shells at 25yds. It all depends on the resolve of that person, and whether he has some basic ability. Not everyone can, or will.....but, there is a saying that goes like this: "It's the Indian, and not the arrow".......I believe in that wholeheartedly!

Bob Hafler
07-01-2012, 11:11
Any suggestions for an inexpensive, simple .22 just to have?

Sounds like your talking about a Ruger 10/22 Carbine. There a good little 22 with more aftermarket parts and accessories then any other 22 rifle. I never thought I'd enjoy shooting a 22 so much. That is until I bought a 10/22 carbine. Now I own a 22/45 to bring long with it for a fun cheap afternoon of shooting.

Pepiot
07-01-2012, 11:32
1. Winchester 61
2. Marlin 39
3. 10/22 or M60

CanMan
07-01-2012, 11:35
CZ 452 or CZ 455 and a 10/22.

Metal Angel
07-01-2012, 11:35
Ruger 10/22. That was my first firearms purchase and I'll never get rid of it.

HAMMERHEAD
07-01-2012, 12:06
My 10/22 is good, but I enjoy my CZ bolt guns more, especially the tiny CZ Scout. Big performance from a tiny, inexpensive rifle.

vafish
07-01-2012, 12:10
Really? Why?

No offense Var, but I think that statement is absolute BS.

You are making the assumption that an adult interested in shooting well IS NOT ABLE to prevent themselves from pulling the trigger out of control with a semi, and thus won't develop good accuracy.

My 8 year could do it. So either my 8 yr old is freakng super kid, or youthink the OP is an ADD tard.

Here is an alternative: They will develop MORE accuracy with the 10/22 because they will spend way more VALUE ADD time on trigger. (Value Add is a big word for 'the stuff that is important).

I understand exactly what you mean, but I think it is an old fart myth.

Not BS based on my experience teaching hundreds of kids to shoot.

Give them a good bolt gun and they will shoot slow and accurate. Give them a semi auto and they have a great time blasting away rapidly.

JBL13
07-01-2012, 12:29
It doesn't appear that anyone has any love for the 597... any particular reason(s)?
I do love my old 9422!

I really like my Remington 597, but I wouldn't go out on a limb and try to pimp it against other semi-autos that I have limited or no experience with.

I bought mine new in early 2001. I've updated it with a Volquartsen hammer and extractor and a current-spec ejector. I've also put a scope and a sling on it. The gun ran flawlessly at the range yesterday.

mac66
07-01-2012, 12:42
Not BS based on my experience teaching hundreds of kids to shoot.

Give them a good bolt gun and they will shoot slow and accurate. Give them a semi auto and they have a great time blasting away rapidly.

I am an Appleseed instructor and have taught hundreds of kids how to shoot safely and competently with semi autos (mostly 10/22s) in multiple positions. It is how you teach them, not the rifle you use.

hogship
07-01-2012, 12:45
I am an Appleseed instructor and have taught hundreds of kids how to shoot safely and competently with semi autos (mostly 10/22s) in multiple positions. It is how you teach them, not the rifle you use.

There is some truth to be had here........:wavey:

ooc

MarcDW
07-01-2012, 13:25

If you want to spend some more look at a Umarex imported 416D.

cliffsta
07-01-2012, 20:01
Wow. Thanks for all the great responses. It looks like the 10/22 is exactly what I'm looking for. Inexpensive initial cost but lots of aftermarket if I wanna trick it out. It looks like I'd want the basic Carbine model. I assume a local gunstore could order one if it isn't in stock? Or maybe the FFL I purchased my Glock from could get me a deal on one.

The desired purpose for this gun is exactly what some of you have said. I'm an inexperienced shooter that is looking to learn how to use a rifle and to become familiar with firearms. Take it to the range or to the woods and shoot it for fun.

Thanks again for the replies.

AK_Stick
07-01-2012, 20:03
Personally, I'd find a new gun store if they didn't have a 10-22 instock or already on order.

lwj
07-01-2012, 20:20
CZ gets my vote.

Gregg702
07-01-2012, 20:21
Personally, I'd find a new gun store if they didn't have a 10-22 instock or already on order.

Yup, they are very common. Wal-Mart should have them, your local sporting good store should have them, and your gun store should definitely have them.

Kentucky Shooter
07-02-2012, 05:21
Some good options in the low to mid price range

Bolt action- some good choices are cz 452, marlin 25, or savage mark 2. Other higher dollar options such as anshutz exist and are also great if you dont mind laying down the extra cash.
Semi- auto- the Ruger 10-22 is a great plinker out of the box. Can be upgraded and modified, the sky is the limit. A few upgrades of less than $100 is what i did to mine such as a target hammer to improve the trigger and an auto bolt release make it a liittle nicer to shoot. If i wanted a semi-auto, the 10-22 would be it.

vafish
07-02-2012, 06:26

And I'm a junior rifle coach and bsa instructor. I have over 100 kids in my air rifle club.

In my experience people, especially kids, shoot better when trained with a bolt action or single shot.

You are welcome to your opinion, it does not jive with my experience.

Liebestraum
07-02-2012, 07:23
I would like to add an original opinion: Winchester Wildcat. Smoothest bolt .22 I have had the pleasure of operating and it is very pretty to boot. Inexpensive as well. Comes with 3 10 round mags and a 5 round mag as well.

wjv
07-02-2012, 10:12
Semi
Ruger 10/22
Marlin 60

Bolt
Any Marlin
Any Savage

Lever
Any Henry

dkf
07-02-2012, 10:17
Ruger 10/22.

Happy Hunting
07-02-2012, 20:15
I have a 10/22 with a TacSol SB-X barrel on it. It is super accurate, light, and never jams as long as I keep Butler Creek 25 round mags at least 100 miles away while I'm running it.

racer88
07-02-2012, 21:32
Wow. On the 3rd page of this thread and no mention of the M&P 15-22, yet??

Lots of votes for the Ruger 10/22, and rightfully so. For a traditional semi-auto, it's hard to beat. Tons of aftermarket goodies for it, too. I got one for my son. I enjoy it, too. Great rifle for a great price.

But, the M&P 15-22 is just a HOOT! Reliable as can be. And, FUN! I just love mine.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b425/racer88_bucket/Gun%20Stuff/MP15-22-1.jpg