Does your state have "in plain sight" vehicle carry requirements? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does your state have "in plain sight" vehicle carry requirements?

cowboy1964
07-01-2012, 00:08
Ohio used to require "in plain sight" of handguns even for CHLers but they did away with that.

Just curious for those of you that live in states that still have that, how do you deal with that while vehicle carrying?

NMPOPS
07-01-2012, 00:48
Nope, here your car is an extension of your home.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

JimNH
07-01-2012, 01:51
Not in the "Live free or die" state.

Sounds like another silly rule designed to "foil violent criminals," who will obviously respond by keeping their Hi-Points in plain sight, scratched-off-serial-number-side up.

NEOH212
07-01-2012, 03:54
Ohio did a good thing by getting rid of that crap requirement. Now they just need to get rid of the notification BS along with a bunch of other needless crap and we'll be ok.

:wavey:

NEOH212
07-01-2012, 03:55
Maybe Ohio can take a few lessons from PA and model our concealed carry law after theirs...:whistling:

failsafe
07-01-2012, 04:06
In MO, it does not have to be in plain sight....

rvrctyrngr
07-01-2012, 05:35
In MO, it does not have to be in plain sight....

In FL, handguns CANNOT be in plain sight. Long guns...whatever ya wanna do.

Bren
07-01-2012, 05:37
In KY, even before concealed carry, you could always carry a loaded gun in your glove compartment. Anywhere else, it has to be in the open or have a CCW.

IndyGunFreak
07-01-2012, 05:45
To my knowledge, Ohio was the only state to have such a ridiculous requirement.

Thankfully they dumped it.

Shadyscott69
07-01-2012, 10:26
NC had that requirement at one time. Not sure if they still do.

Veedubklown
07-01-2012, 13:58
In AZ, it can be readily accessible, and concealed, so long as your not in commission of a crime. I've always wondered if that includes traffic citations? Say, if I'm speeding and carrying my CCW?

Oso
07-01-2012, 15:47
In Michigan any firearm in a vehicle is considered concealed, even if it is sitting on the dash. You have to have a CPL to carry any loaded firearm in a vehicle in Michigan. So, no, you don't have to have it in plain sight, but you can if you want as long as you have a CPL. I wouldn't recommend keeping on the dash, though.

Veedubklown
07-01-2012, 16:03
In Michigan any firearm in a vehicle is considered concealed, even if it is sitting on the dash. You have to have a CPL to carry any loaded firearm in a vehicle in Michigan. So, no, you don't have to have it in plain sight, but you can if you want as long as you have a CPL. I wouldn't recommend keeping on the dash, though.

People actually do that? I've watched my CD's go flying out the passenger side window, taking a hard left. Couldn't imagine doing that to my glock. Heck, the darn thing might go off when I drop it! :rofl:

Oso
07-01-2012, 17:53
People actually do that? I've watched my CD's go flying out the passenger side window, taking a hard left. Couldn't imagine doing that to my glock. Heck, the darn thing might go off when I drop it! :rofl:

I lost a few pairs of sunglasses that way when I was younger. :cool: I've long since learned. I've never seen anybody put their firearm up there, but given the level of common sense in society today, I'm sure some knucklehead would try it.

Oso
07-01-2012, 17:55
Heck, the darn thing might go off when I drop it! :rofl:

Don't you know that Glocks are not safe. They can go off all by themselves even if you didn't drop it. :whistling:

fuzzy03cls
07-02-2012, 08:17
In FL, handguns CANNOT be in plain sightThey can if it's in a snapped holster. Not smart but legal.
(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.01.html) for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use.
(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

robhic
07-02-2012, 10:30
In Louisiana, a handgun can be concealed in a car anywhere except on your person! Unless you have a CCW permit, then you can hide it anywhere. I like the fact that someone without a CCW permit can keep a weapon under a towel or jacket or shirt or whatever on the passenger seat (if there is no passenger).

DScottHewitt
07-02-2012, 10:36
They can if it's in a snapped holster. Not smart but legal.

I think you missed something. It says "a concealed firearm" in 5.....

concealed is not "in plain sight"

LoadToadBoss
07-02-2012, 18:29
In Louisiana, a handgun can be concealed in a car anywhere except on your person! Unless you have a CCW permit, then you can hide it anywhere. I like the fact that someone without a CCW permit can keep a weapon under a towel or jacket or shirt or whatever on the passenger seat (if there is no passenger).

Vehicle carry is so common in Louisiana, LEOs just assume there's a gun in the car and are surprised when there's not.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

concretefuzzynuts
07-02-2012, 18:46
Open carry yes- concealed no.

NMPOPS
07-02-2012, 19:40
In AZ, it can be readily accessible, and concealed, so long as your not in commission of a crime. I've always wondered if that includes traffic citations? Say, if I'm speeding and carrying my CCW?

Traffic violations are not considered crimes under the law.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2