Blackhark Serpa and 30SF [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Blackhark Serpa and 30SF

tooexcessive
07-01-2012, 09:56
Just passed my CCW yesterday here in Kansas :supergrin: and I am looking for a good holster. I like the design and features of the Blackhawk Serpa, but I do not see on thier website listing a 30SF for this holster. Anybody happen to know if My SF will fit in the 30 holster? Could call them but I thought I would ask here first.

Bruce M
07-01-2012, 10:08
Yes. Be aware that some have said there are issues with the Serpa.

buzzkill
07-01-2012, 10:12
Congratulations on your ccw permit!!! Also your 30SF will fit in the Serpa holster listed for the 30.

tooexcessive
07-01-2012, 10:13
Yes. Be aware that some have said there are issues with the Serpa.

Ummm what issues do you refer to please?

GRT45
07-01-2012, 10:13
Congratulations on passing the CCW exam and live fire qualification.

As others have confirmed above, your G30SF pistol will fit any holster made for the G30. Variances in dimensions between the two models are all in the grip. The size of the slide, upper receiver and trigger guard are identical for the two models.

tooexcessive
07-01-2012, 10:17
Congratulations on passing the CCW exam and live fire qualification.

As others have confirmed above, your G30SF pistol will fit any holster made for the G30. Variances in dimensions between the two models are all in the grip. The size of the slide, upper receiver and trigger guard are identical for the two models.

Thank you for the congrats and the imput...you too Buzz!

Kimura
07-01-2012, 10:23
Ummm what issues do you refer to please?

Do a google search and you'll see the issues. Some trainers have either outright banned them, highly suggested that people stay away from them or will only except them if modified. Here are Kyle Defoor's thoughts on the holster. http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/02/no-more-serpa-holsters-in-my-classes.htm

tooexcessive
07-01-2012, 10:27
Do a google search and you'll see the issues. Some trainers have either outright banned them, highly suggested that people stay away from them or will only except them if modified. Here are Kyle Defoor's thoughts on the holster. http://www.kyledefoor.com/2012/02/no-more-serpa-holsters-in-my-classes.htm

I will take a look...Thank you.

GThirtyTwo
07-01-2012, 11:21
It's also a terrible, terrible holster if you actually plan on concealing your G30SF.

pizza
07-01-2012, 11:25
I have a Serpa for my G19 and never use it. It sticks out like a sidecar. It would be even worse with a big brick like the G30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tooexcessive
07-01-2012, 11:59
Any good suggestions for a IWB holster?

MAXG
07-01-2012, 12:01

I've read a lot of gripes about this, and I'm totally at a loss. If you draw the gun as the holster was intended, and as shooters are taught to draw any gun from any holster (finger is straight along the barrel, i.e. never enters the trigger guard until you've acquired target) I don't see how this could cause a problem. Not saying I'm right and others are wrong, it just seems to me that this is a holster that "forces" you to draw correctly. I can see how if you've never used a holster like this it would take some practice, which of course we should do with all our CCW setups.

MG

MikeG36
07-01-2012, 12:05

Congrats!

IWB: Milt Sparks Versa Max II (http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm) is my favorite followed closely by Comp-Tac's MTAC (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95) and the Galco Triton (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=3775&CatalogID=7).

SPIN2010
07-01-2012, 12:09
I have used my SERPA on a leg rig for two years and I still have my leg (G20SF). I also use a SERPA in a CCW role in my sissy bag and my bag has no unintended .40 S&W holes in it as of today (I have been in three CCW presentations with large dogs.)

The SERPA is like any tool, right tool for the job. I would not recommend one for waist CCW carry ... as stated above, they stick way out.

damnyankee20
07-01-2012, 12:21
For an IWB holster: The Crossbreed SuperTuck or a competitor equivalent is one of the better IWB holsters because the extra leather on the sides spreads out the pressure exerted from the firearm in your waistband.

obrieri
07-01-2012, 12:24
I've read a lot of gripes about this, and I'm totally at a loss. If you draw the gun as the holster was intended, and as shooters are taught to draw any gun from any holster (finger is straight along the barrel, i.e. never enters the trigger guard until you've acquired target) I don't see how this could cause a problem. Not saying I'm right and others are wrong, it just seems to me that this is a holster that "forces" you to draw correctly. I can see how if you've never used a holster like this it would take some practice, which of course we should do with all our CCW setups.

MG

If you get anything jammed in the moving parts(dirt, rocks, etc.) you are not able to remove or use your gun...I would only use it at the range or maybe competitions but never in a situation where my life may depend on getting the gun out of the holster.

Meathead9
07-01-2012, 12:52
I went through a 1 day course recently with a guy that was running a Serpa with his G22. He was a fairly experienced pistol shooter, and former military. During one of the drills, the locking mechanism was sticking a little, so he used a little more force on the release button during the draw. His finger pressed the trigger just out of the holster & he came within inches of blowing a hole in his foot. I never understood how that could happen, and thought that it was just another overblown Internet myth. Seeing it happen first hand was definitely an eye opener.

My advice, buy a better holster...

PattonT
07-01-2012, 13:20
Safariland ALS is a great substitute for a Serpa. It's safer, quieter, and better constructed. I'll tell you neither one is a concealment type holster though. IWB, which I can't stand, is most easily done with a Theis holster, Kholster, Supertuck, etc..
For $12-20 a Glock Sport Combat holster is a must try, I like mine more than any holster I own.

LAWDOGKMS
07-01-2012, 13:42
I have used my SERPA on a leg rig for two years and I still have my leg (G20SF). I also use a SERPA in a CCW role in my sissy bag and my bag has no unintended .40 S&W holes in it as of today (I have been in three CCW presentations with large dogs.)

The SERPA is like any tool, right tool for the job. I would not recommend one for waist CCW carry ... as stated above, they stick way out.

If your chest is wider than your waist (I hope so) and you don't wear skin tight shirts, the Serpa conceals just fine.. I wear one on duty under a button up shirt (G23), and off duty (G27) and have never been made to my knowledge..

There are NO problems with the design, just problematic people using it; like the idiot who made the video shooting himself, with a 1911 with a hair trigger, and thumbed the safety off to soon, AND had bad trigger finger placement.

I know of THOUSANDS of agents that use the Serpa and work with a ton of high-speed warrant squad and swat guys, most of which use the Serpa and LOVE IT.

When you carry for a living and are in and out of your holster many times a day during stressful situations, the Serpa design is fast, intuitive, works as advertised and has that re-assuring click, that lets you know the gun is secured, so you can go hands on, or transition to taser..

For the record, my taser is opposite side in a Serpa too..

bac1023
07-01-2012, 13:52
Congrats! :cool:

Motor City Glocker
07-01-2012, 14:18
I carry both of my Glocks as well as my Colts in a Serpa holster. I've never had any problems with them. Accidents happen as a result of user error, not the design of the holster. As some have said, it's not the easiest to conceal though. Just my 2 cents.

elde
07-01-2012, 18:11
I get a kick out of people on this site -- defenders to the death of Glocks.....the "keep your fingers off the trigger and it's perfectly safe" crowd.....trashing the Serpa because of the supposed "dangers" of unintentional discharges. Quite ironic.

GThirtyTwo
07-01-2012, 18:51
IWB Holsters? Tommy Theis holster is a great value ( http://theisholsters.com ), Kholster is good as well ( www.kholster.com ), the Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur is a superb holster with a very quick turn-around time ( comp-tac.com ), the Crossbreed holsters are "ok", and the Milt Sparks Versa Max II is one of the best and most comfortable holsters made, but cost is high and wait time is long.

My $0.02, I'd go with the Theis or Comp-Tac.

Meathead9
07-01-2012, 19:39
I get a kick out of people on this site -- defenders to the death of Glocks.....the "keep your fingers off the trigger and it's perfectly safe" crowd.....trashing the Serpa because of the supposed "dangers" of unintentional discharges. Quite ironic.

The ironic part is that the most widely used example to "trash the Serpa", is the video of that guy shooting himself in the leg with a 1911... :whistling:

tooexcessive
07-02-2012, 07:18
Thanks to all for the feedback and info!

WayaX
07-02-2012, 11:25
Many top instructors have banned Serpa holsters from their classes due to safety and performance issues. On top of that, they're terrible for concealment.

If you want a similar holster that has good retention but isn't great for concealment, look at at the Safariland ALS.

If you want a holster that is OWB, but conceals very well, Raven Tactical pretty much takes the cake.

If you want IWB, I think Comp-Tac and Raven are the two top choices.

Sources: my box of holsters that didn't quite work for me.

(Yes, I'm heavily biased towards kydex)

WinterWizard
07-02-2012, 12:12
The Blackhawk Serpa holster is NOT a conceal-carry holster. It is outside the waistband and sits out from the belt. It's a low-cost duty holster. Why they market it as an concealment holster is beyond me.

Not to mention it is more prone to negligent discharges than other holsters. Not saying you WILL have a ND, but it is a fact that, on the whole, this style of holster is more prone to it.

Try something different. Trust me.

Rick305
07-02-2012, 14:01
I just got a galco king Tuk for my 29 (same size as your 30) and its great

http://img.tapatalk.com/ada5cf9e-fe07-5bec.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/ada5cf9e-fe19-da2c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rick305
07-02-2012, 14:21
http://soldiersystems.net/2012/02/08/blackhawk-serpa-holsters-recalled-again/

During reading , there is apparently a heavy debate going on about the SERPA. My quick read view -- is that gun safety is the most important part of handling a firearm.

But requiring to use your trigger finger to disengage a firearm is in my opinion trouble. Firearms safety , and knowing how to operate a pistol can be practiced. Keeping your finger off the trigger can be tattooed in your head .

But in a life/death situation , having to disengage a firearm with your trigger finger close to the trigger is just an A.D (not n.d) situation waiting to happen.

There are many holsters out there that secure your gun , and that will disengage with your palm retrieving the handle.

But (having been in LD situations) knows that you cant practice the state of mind that occurs when faced with possible death . People would be surprised how hard it would be to remember your name I couldn't imagine how to properly disengage a holster with your (possibly shaking) trigger finger -- close to the trigger.

From a 5 minute google search , I've seen all I had to see to deem this holster dangerous.

(ps : I carry (iwb) a glock with 3.5lb kit , and an M&P iwb with a 2.5-3.0lb trigger so I'm not one of those "guys" that says everything is dangerous. But as I said -- practicing releasing a holster that makes you use your booger hook next to the bugger is a nose bleed waiting to happen)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LAWDOGKMS
07-02-2012, 22:01
Absolute BS from the Serpa badmouthers...

Sounds like a bunch of armchair commandos....

There is nothing wrong with the design..

This is common sense to those that use it daily on the street..

PattonT
07-03-2012, 05:15
I've been wanting to try a Serpa level 3 duty holster but haven't. I owned at one time a Serpa CQB for a Glock but never felt like it was a secure and tight holster. My Glock actually rattled front to back and it just felt cheap. I could even handle it sitting 3"out from my body because I didn't want it for concealment. I listened to the trigger finger used to release argument and in a intense situation I could see how it could happen. I have the Safariland ALS but if you don't like it the 5.11 Thumb Drive is a great holster if your looking for Level2 retention.

Ranger54
07-04-2012, 11:33
The Serpa may well work for a carry holster, drawing slow, thinking about what you are doing, but not in any kind of a competitive environment or anywhere you are trying to "quick draw". In the central Texas area, two people that I am aware of have shot themselves in a competitive environment, one a long time USPSA shooter. KR Training bans them as do many other training facilities. That should be a hint. I know there are many on this board that will say "it will not happen to me, I train", but perfect muscle memory takes thousands of repetitions. If you are trying to draw and the firearm does not release immediately and smoothly the tendency is to press harder. Pressing harder when it does release tends to move the trigger finger in the direction of the trigger. I much prefer a thumb release in a retention holster.

Magnus2131
07-04-2012, 18:10
There is nothing wrong with the Blackhawk Serpa. Maybe not the best for conceal carry. It was human error not the Serpa. Just like anything else people panicked and word spreads on the internet.

Magnus2131
07-04-2012, 18:32
Blackhawk Serpa2: Holster of Death!?!? - YouTube

larry_minn
07-05-2012, 10:59
I read a little of Serpa hate and then got a deal on one. Its not a carry holster. (concealed) For what its made for it works fine. For me thats when wearing a vest, carring a carbine.
The pistol is NOT primary gun. Its for if my carbine jams. (has done it once in training) where it was not easier/quicker to clear and go.

While its been over a yr since last course. Instructor had no issue with it. Then again he looks at people not gear.

LAWDOGKMS
07-05-2012, 12:28
Blackhawk Serpa2: Holster of Death!?!? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUCqk00SKBU&feature=related)

This explained it perfectly...

There is nothing wrong with this holster, just improper use by individuals..

When I draw, fast or slow, my finger indexes the slide and doesn't come in contact with the trigger, just like in this video..