Crush Grip/NY-1 Trigger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crush Grip/NY-1 Trigger

unit1069
07-01-2012, 12:11
Another GT thread prompted me to pull out Mas Ayoob's The Gun Digest of Combat Handgunnery 5th Edition for some reference material.

While reading the section on the crush grip I began to wonder if since my only purpose for owning handguns is self-defense perhaps I should get the NY-1 trigger for my G-32.

My thinking (reviewing relevant sections) is that because the fingers holding the grip are already strongly grasping the gun while dexterity under stress is out the window in a potential life-or-death situation then the stronger resistance on the trigger finger would actually be more consistent with crush grip than with the stock 5.5 pound trigger pull.

I hope I've worded this right and would like to know what other GT members think about this.

ChicagoZman
07-01-2012, 12:33
I do have lighter triggers in some of my "fun" guns, but prefer the heavier trigger in my self defense guns for this very reason. My primary EDC gun is a 23 that came with the old style NY-1 spring some twenty years ago before I knew about such things and it works well.

Sharky7
07-01-2012, 13:44
Personal preference.

My issue duty gun has a NY trigger. So, a few years back I switched my off duty Glock to a NY trigger so everything matched and felt the same. After lots of trials and messing around, I shoot better and feel more comfortable with the standard glock factory trigger. So, I ended up switching back my personal guns to the standard factory. I also use the high grip as described by Mas.....just like my 5.5 lb pull better.

beatcop
07-01-2012, 14:39
You will be fine with the stock trigger.

Ditch that book and shoot more!

The Retired Sarge
07-01-2012, 15:44
I do like "substance" in my trigger pulls as I also shoot HK and SIg Sauer. What works best for me in all my Glocks is the NY1 trigger spring with factory 4.5 connector. With this setup I feel the trigger at the start of the take up and that connector takes some of the crunch out of the NY1. Bill

cowboy1964
07-01-2012, 18:54
I do like "substance" in my trigger pulls as I also shoot HK and SIg Sauer. What works best for me in all my Glocks is the NY1 trigger spring with factory 4.5 connector. With this setup I feel the trigger at the start of the take up and that connector takes some of the crunch out of the NY1. Bill

I have the NY-1 and "minus" connector on my G4 19. It's my favorite Glock trigger now. I consider it very safe and I'm as accurate with it as any Glock trigger I've ever used. What's not to like about that?

cadillacguns
07-02-2012, 02:51
I prefer the NY-1 in all my Glocks.

unit1069
07-02-2012, 09:28
Thanks to all for the replies.

I browsed the 5th Edition some more last night and read where Mas has the NY-1 on all his Glocks. So from what I can tell it's probably a good idea with a Glock that's strictly for self-defense.

I checked MidwayUSA a few minutes ago and it describes the increased pull weight as 11 pounds and not the 8 pounds I originally thought the NY-1 brought the trigger pull to. For the moment I do not anticipate replacing any other parts except for the NY-1 itself.

Whether or not I decide to change anything stock I don't want to risk any legal liability with the end result and I'm sure I won't with an 11 pound trigger pull, but sheesh, that's a bit strong. The 8 pound weight seemed about right to me but it looks like that will take additional installation parts.

lawson12
07-02-2012, 11:50
I believe to achieve the 8# pull, you need the 3.5# connector along with ny-1 spring. Correct?

The Retired Sarge
07-02-2012, 16:42
The Ny1 spring gives an 8 pound pull. The NY2 yields 11-12 pounds. The NY1 with OEM minus connector gives a 6 to 6 1/2 pound trigger pull and has the blessings of both Mas and Glock, Inc for duty and carry. Bill

unit1069
07-03-2012, 11:17
The Ny1 spring gives an 8 pound pull. The NY2 yields 11-12 pounds. The NY1 with OEM minus connector gives a 6 to 6 1/2 pound trigger pull and has the blessings of both Mas and Glock, Inc for duty and carry. Bill

Thanks, that's what I originally thought I'd read on Glock Talk until I read the reviews posted about the NY-1 on MidwayUSA's web site.

collim1
07-03-2012, 21:46
My sister really took to guns after being introduced to shooting and bought a G17 for herself.

I being all wise and knowledgeable put a NY1 trigger in the gun when she got it thinking it would be "safer" for her as she was a beginner.

After shooting it I was not impressed and will likely change it back to factory next time she comes into town.

I guess I'll have to make something up to explain the new trigger. I told her before that the NY1 was what all the "pros" used so she didn't object to it.

dkf
07-03-2012, 22:10
You will be fine with the stock trigger.

Ditch that book and shoot more!

^^^^This

RottnJP
07-03-2012, 22:20
I've tried the NY-1 with stock and "-" connectors, and at the end of the day I prefer a polished stock connector with OEM standard spring.

Ticman
07-06-2012, 15:49
Don't listen to the stock only guys. If you shoot better with a NY-1 and "-" connector then do so. It's your gun not thiers. If you shoot better with stock then do that. It's your choice, your preference not anyone elses.

Arc Angel
07-06-2012, 17:03
I like Mas Ayoob. In fact I think he's one of the best revolver trainers around, today. This is, 'Why' I never take anything Mas says about Glocks too seriously. I'm, also, curious to know how an instructor who has arthritic hands (just like me) is able to determine what is or isn't an actual, 'crush grip'? Personally, I don't, 'crush' any pistol while firing it. For me a good firm, front-to-back grip is all I need. (And I'm not famous for wasting ammunition!) :)

As for 8-10# NY-1 Glock triggers? You've got to marry one up to the right connector in order to get a specific trigger pull weight. With a usual 5.5# connector an NY-1 trigger spring will produce an 8 to 10# trigger pull. The NY-1 trigger spring is, also, often paired with a 4.5# connector in order to produce an overall trigger pull weight of approximately 6.5 pounds. (The feeling of using a genuine double-action trigger is there; but so is Glock's usual pretravel.)

Other Glock shooters tell me about the more positive reset; but, my own experience has been that the overall movement of an NY-1 trigger is more distracting to work with. (I don't know exactly, 'Why' because I shoot DA Smith & Wesson revolvers better than most? Perhaps, it's because an NY-1 Glock trigger doesn't compare all that favorably with one of SIG's, 'DAK' triggers (or H&K's, 'LEM').

The fact is that Glock's coil trigger spring reset is, unquestionably, the best STOCK trigger reset of any plastic pistol on the market. To my mind an NY-1 trigger spring in a Glock is akin to trying to make a, 'silk purse out of a sow's ear'. It ain't a standard DAK; it ain't a, 'short-throw DAK'; it ain't a LEM; and it ain't an M&P pistol with an Apex kit installed. When I shoot a Glock I don't want the trigger spring to keep on forcefully pushing my trigger finger forward; but, ....... I guess some shooters do.

As for, 'a more positive trigger reset'? That's, 'Why' I use a heavier 6# coil trigger spring. Trigger overtravel is important too and should, also, be considered. There are several different ways to get rid of trigger overtravel in a Glock; all of them work; and I've finally settled on using a permanently fixed Lone Wolf, 'UTS' trigger housing. (Once I've tested it, I epoxy the setscrew in place.) As for pretravel? I don't even notice it. I do, however, occasionally wonder how many BG's lives have been spared because some pistolero, somewhere, thought about letting the target live while his trigger finger gently, 'slipped' through that first shot pretravel?

Now, you have said:

My thinking (reviewing relevant sections) is that because the fingers holding the grip are already strongly grasping the gun while dexterity under stress is out the window in a potential life-or-death situation then the stronger resistance on the trigger finger would actually be more consistent with crush grip than with the stock 5.5 pound trigger pull.

Which causes me to wonder: What makes you think that you're going to experience only a, 'fear response'? You just might be too mad to experience any of the physiological fear reactions that most internet gun forums are constantly overflowing with. Personally, I think you and other authors of like mentality are severely underestimating the power of human desire - of human emotion!

It's been my experience that we, as human creatures, have a strong propensity for doing what we want to do and getting what we want to get. In a gunfight, like so many other things in life, we've, all, got choices to make: to be afraid and experience the typical range of gunfighting reactions that are so often published on gun forums like this one ....... or, to get mad and do everything in our power to win the fight!

I'm telling you that, contrary to the popular internet gun forum myth, you don't have to experience any loss of manual dexterity. You don't have to suffer auditory and visual exclusion; neither do you have to experience any, 'time compression' or loss of memory. My suggestion would be to learn how to watch and control your emotions. Don't allow yourself to react like a wild animal; and you won't behave that way, either.

I've known men who fought brilliantly and never felt more alive (or more worthwhile) while they were moving, 'on the edge of death'. There's, 'fear response'; and there's, 'anger response'. Now that you're aware, it's going to be up to you to choose the set of physiological reactions you DESIRE to exhibit.