Springfield 1911 Ambi Safety [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911 Ambi Safety

captdreifus
07-01-2012, 15:54
From my frame disassembly thread:

I am still having superior difficulty removing the ambi-safety. What position should the right side safety (the ambi part) be in? Upward (on safe) or downward (off safe)? Somewhere in the middle?

That safety is a beast. I dont want to force anything, so I would like input, please.

Thanks,
Capt

Veedubklown
07-01-2012, 16:35
Got a pic of your safety? There's a few different styles, I have the kymber safety. Couple other companies have a similar design.

Some of them require the grips to be off, mine doesn't (since my grips are molded into the frame). On mine, you take the left side off, with it positioned in the middle, then rotate the right side up counter clockwise until it clears the sear pin (which is what holds it on). Then just pull it out, assuming your slide is off. If it's not, remove it.

Here's how mine looks;

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/veedubklown/Firearms/Bul%20M5/2012-04-13_21-29-28_0.jpg

R0CKETMAN
07-01-2012, 18:12
Here's my lame answer

On my SA I wiggle it up and down while pulling outward.

Keoking
07-01-2012, 18:19
Here's my lame answer

On my SA I wiggle it up and down while pulling outward.

Yup. Same with my SA Loaded.

Travclem
07-01-2012, 18:21
From my frame disassembly thread:

I am still having superior difficulty removing the ambi-safety. What position should the right side safety (the ambi part) be in? Upward (on safe) or downward (off safe)? Somewhere in the middle?

That safety is a beast. I dont want to force anything, so I would like input, please.

Thanks,
Capt

It doesn't matter what Position the safety is in to get the right side off. Just remove the grip panel and wiggle up and down while pulling outward. They can be a real ***** but it will eventually start to ease out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CAcop
07-01-2012, 19:07
Being left handed ambi safeties are a necessity and I have dealt with many of the ones on my gun. Just wiggle and pull it will eventually come out. Also in time as you use it a lot it will fall out on its own. Happened to my Springfield when I took the grips off.

nastytrigger
07-01-2012, 20:15
My right wing is loose enough to where I can get a fingernail into the back and pull out easily (grip has to be off the right side).

captdreifus
07-01-2012, 20:32
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep wiggling.

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 09:18
if you can't wiggle it take a very thin flat bladed screwdriver and as close as you can to the pin ever so slightly wedge it up working slowly , the first time you do the ambi with a slip or friction fit can be hard to get off the right side..

3rdgen40
07-02-2012, 10:05
There is a notch in the frame pin that holds the right side in.Rotate the safety up to remove.

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 10:30
There is a notch in the frame pin that holds the right side in.Rotate the safety up to remove.
did they go to a new safety the trp I have does not do this

Travclem
07-02-2012, 12:35
Not any of my Springfields.

captdreifus
07-02-2012, 13:10

Can you show a pic please? I'm not seeing this.. :crying:

Mayhem like Me
07-02-2012, 16:17

you don't have it with a stock springfield try the small screwdriver tip

R0CKETMAN
07-02-2012, 16:22
Don't go near it with a screwdriver if you care about your finish.

Travclem
07-02-2012, 16:30
This, you can try padded channel locks on the lever to help wiggle and pull but don't try to pry against the frame.

3rdgen40
07-02-2012, 18:02
Sorry, I guess Springfields are different than my Citadel.:embarassed:

Mayhem like Me
07-03-2012, 08:10

really been doing it for 20 years carefully never scratched anything ...go in from the front to reaR.