Pocket carry muzzle sweeping [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry muzzle sweeping

Droid noob
07-01-2012, 17:11
Recently picked up an lcr and have been carrying in a desantis pocket holster. Can't help but be keenly aware of my muzzle when sitting down lol. Sat in a booth at dinner with family and ended up repositioning the pocket holster down so it wasn't sweeping those sitting across from me. I know it's not going to fire by itself, but anyone else have the uneasy feeling when first pocket carrying? I'm used to my iwb holsters always pointing down.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

SouthpawG26
07-01-2012, 17:27
Dont worry too much, a duty thigh rig will point in much the same way.

steveksux
07-01-2012, 17:52
That's why wearing a shoulder holster is the one exception to the rule that your wife should follow you a few paces behind... :whistling: She can offset to the side in that case so she isn't being swept with the muzzle.

Randy

NMGlocker
07-01-2012, 17:54
And if you're carrying in a IWB holster you are muzzle sweeping everyone on the first floor when you're on the second.
And your point is?

Vanman2004b
07-01-2012, 18:15
This is the reason that I do not pocket carry.

Droid noob
07-01-2012, 19:07
And if you're carrying in a IWB holster you are muzzle sweeping everyone on the first floor when you're on the second.
And your point is?

Uhhh. Thanks for the input......

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

ChicagoZman
07-01-2012, 19:38
If it is in a holster that covers the trigger guard and you don't have other stuff in your pocket you are good to go IMO.

Droid noob
07-01-2012, 20:23
If it is in a holster that covers the trigger guard and you don't have other stuff in your pocket you are good to go IMO.

That's what I told myself lol. Just takes some getting used to it suppose

Vanman2004b
07-01-2012, 20:27

I tried that also. Didn't work for me as I was sitting across a table from my family. Found a different way to carry and feel much better now.

gunowner1
07-01-2012, 20:32
I carry an LCP in a sticky pocket holster all the time. Fits perfect in my cargo shorts pocket.I've never put one second of thought into which way it is pointing. If nothing depresses the trigger it isn't going to fire.

CanMan
07-01-2012, 20:51

I carry an LCP in a sticky pocket holster all the time. Fits perfect in my cargo shorts pocket.I've never put one second of thought into which way it is pointing. If nothing depresses the trigger it isn't going to fire.

Nothing else in the same pocket is the cardinal rule!

gunowner1
07-01-2012, 20:56
The holster is in there with the LCP. Does that count.:supergrin:

ChicagoZman
07-01-2012, 21:13
Agreed. Still want the holster, but will not allow anything else in that pocket.

Caver 60
07-01-2012, 22:17

Carried a P3AT daily with a Nemesis for well over 7 years now. Nothing in that pocket but the pistol and holster. Never had a problem. Only time I adjust the rig when sitting down is if it becomes uncomfortable against my leg and the chair for whatever reason.

FireForged
07-01-2012, 23:00
When i pocket carry, I never ever carry anything in the same pocket with the firearm. Other than that, I dont worry about it. If you are gonna pocket carry, the muzzle issue is just something you have to accept.

steveksux
07-01-2012, 23:01
I tried that also. Didn't work for me as I was sitting across a table from my family. Found a different way to carry and feel much better now.

Have you tried sitting across from the in-laws instead? :whistling:

Randy

Sheepdog Scout
07-02-2012, 03:03
This is the reason that I do not pocket carry.

You must not carry at all then. During different times, I carry in the pocket, on the shoulder and on the waist. Every single time I or anyone else carries a gun, you're "sweeping" someone at sometime.

I carry on the hip, OWB or IWB. If I lie down on the couch and my girlfriend is sitting across the room, I'm sweeping here. OMG!!!!:faint:

Or I'm sweeping the four legged members of the family when carry on the hip.

OP, pocket carry is perfectly safe. As long as you do it right you'll be fine. I'm carrying my LCR .357 too. Did it today.

uhlawpup
07-02-2012, 04:30
While it should be considered, muzzle sweep can be overthought.

Take reasonable precautions, and don't try to be perfect. There are no absolutes in this.

Perfect is the enemy of good, or, in this case, sufficient.

Lior
07-02-2012, 07:37
Out of respect for others, I try not to use a carry method that aims my gun at anyone, even if it is concealed. Try is the operative word here. Uhlawpup's post was a good one, as usual.

HexHead
07-02-2012, 07:40
I couldn't care less about this. Seriously, the last thing I'm concerned about is where my muzzle may be pointing when my handgun is in a proper holster that's covering the trigger. This even holds true if I'm carrying my Mustang cocked and locked in my pocket (holster) or a Glock in my shoulder holster.

They aren't just going to go off by themselves.

Steve50
07-02-2012, 08:08
at first had the uneasy feeling but got over it.. in the holster, in the pocket, nothing else in the pocket..

Droid noob
07-02-2012, 09:28

Randy

Lmao

itstime
07-02-2012, 09:33
I always have a little something in my pocket and think this all the time.

I never ever have anything else in the pocket and with a good holster I'm good. But I still always think about it.

Veedubklown
07-02-2012, 12:05
When I went snow-boarding, I had my glock concealed IWB. I was on my ass alot, never crossed my mind what way my holster was pointed. Gun was secured and trigger is covered on all sides.

concretefuzzynuts
07-02-2012, 12:25
I pocket carry every day. Get a good holster and keep nothing else in that pocket.

CA Escapee
07-02-2012, 12:34

Have them pocket carry, too, then you'll all be even.:supergrin:

Bill

CA Escapee
07-02-2012, 12:38

Randy

Randy, your answer begs the question:

Do you know the difference between in-laws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted.:whistling:

Bill

SFla27
07-02-2012, 15:52
Good pocket holster with correspondingly-good trigger guard....check.
Nothing else in the pocket...check.
Round in the chamber...check.

Even if you tried (at the range, pointing at a paper target, of course) to fire your pocket pistol by placing your finger(s) over the trigger guard and attempting to pull the trigger (for non-kydex models), here's betting you wouldn't be able to.

So...Nothing to worry about. Good to go.

Duck of Death
07-02-2012, 16:33
*QUOTE*
Pocket carry muzzle sweeping

If it's a problem for you--don't chamber a round.

Droid noob
07-02-2012, 16:54
*QUOTE*
Pocket carry muzzle sweeping

If it's a problem for you--don't chamber a round.

I don't.... It's an lcr

Spiffums
07-02-2012, 16:55
If your gun goes off in your pocket or in your holster.......you got bigger problems than sweeping someone.

Duck of Death
07-02-2012, 17:16
*QUOTE*
I don't.... It's an lcr

Sorry, missed that.

Caver 60
07-02-2012, 19:44
Seems to me like that even if you carry OTW or IWB at 3:00 or rearward of that, and you sit down and put your feet back under or around the chair, you're probably sweeping your own feet or the guys in the apartment below. If you carry forward of that (especially IWB) you're sweeping some very vulnerable parts of your own anatomy.

Like was said above, it's something to be aware of, but don't loose sleep over it. Proper modern holster, proper modern made handgun, hands off unless needed, don't worry about it. You're probably more likely to get injured or injure someone else driving to work.

At least that's my opinion.

Droid noob
07-02-2012, 20:48
Yea. My brain says it's holstered and safely carried. Yet I've always been aware of the muzzle no matter how I carry. It's something that just dawned on me while I was sitting across from family. No worries

cowboywannabe
07-03-2012, 01:57
once you understand the mechanics of a gun and become more sure of yourself and carrying one you will worry less.

Droid noob
07-03-2012, 05:57
once you understand the mechanics of a gun and become more sure of yourself and carrying one you will worry less.

That's what I figure. I've come a long way from day 1 of carrying. Could've sworn everyone could tell I was carrying lol

Just1More
07-03-2012, 08:04
This is why certain holsters should be banned (shoulder rigs).

Droid noob
07-03-2012, 09:01

I don't use shoulder rig, but that would be a slippery slope. I haven't heard of them failing in any way though. It might be a different story if ppl were getting shot behind the gun owner lol

Caver 60
07-03-2012, 22:23
That's what I figure. I've come a long way from day 1 of carrying. Could've sworn everyone could tell I was carrying lol

Reminds me of my favorite story. One day, quite awhile ago, I was working in my office cubical. A friend and shooting buddy of mine stopped for a short visit. My friend was an off duty deputy sheriff. He was carrying, sort of, 'concealed.' I knew he always carried, and his pistol was easy to spot.

He was wearing a sport coat and appropriate pants and shirt. The sport coat was unbuttoned and he was carry OWB at 3:00 O'Clock. His every movement revealed the pistol as the sport coat flapped around, but I was looking for it.

During the short visit three coworkers stopped by my desk on business. I introduced all three of my coworkers to my friend and they shook hands. But I neglected to tell my coworkers that my friend was a sheriffs deputy.

After my friend left the building, I contacted each of my coworkers and said: "Did you see the pistol that guy was carrying under his sport coat?" They all said: "No! Do you think we should call the law?" I then informed them that my friend was the law.

But none of them had seen the very poorly concealed pistol, because they weren't looking for it. I would not advise trying to conceal that way, especially if open carry isn't legal in your area. But it just goes to show, most people aren't looking that closely.

ScottieG59
07-05-2012, 02:15
I think about the muzzle on my holstered handguns without obsessing over it too much. I have six kids at home and it provides opportunities to think about it.

HerrGlock
07-05-2012, 07:32
I don't use shoulder rig, but that would be a slippery slope. I haven't heard of them failing in any way though.

That's because they don't.

Pilots and other aircrews have been carrying in shoulder holsters since flight started. The only people who even give the shoulder holster a second thought are those who tend to overthink a lot of things and ignore the actual record of the item.

Same with your concern. It's only a concern because you're overthinking it and not looking at the actual history of lack of negligent discharge due to the carrying method.

HerrGlock
07-05-2012, 07:35

Please feel free to give examples of them actually failing and causing harm. Not "I believe" but actual evidence.

Otherwise you're guilty of the same thing those who want to outlaw carrying firearms are guilty of. This MIGHT happen. That COULD happen. Hell, Martians might come down and use their magic rays to make all the CCW firearms go off at the same time, should we outlaw CCW due to that fear?

HexHead
07-05-2012, 07:43

You must be a liberal. They always want to ban stuff they
don't like.

If it wasn't going to be 100 degrees here today, I'd wear my shoulder holster just to piss you off.

Droid noob
07-05-2012, 08:48
You must be a liberal. They always want to ban stuff they
don't like.

If it wasn't going to be 100 degrees here today, I'd wear my shoulder holster just to piss you off.

Lol.