Power outages drag on in D.C. region [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Power outages drag on in D.C. region

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 17:11
Power outages drag on in D.C. region; officials fuming at utility companies (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/power-outages-could-last-for-days/2012/07/01/gJQA3JVjFW_story.html?hpid=z1)

Estimates are that the power will be out until Friday in many places.

How many here are ready to go it alone without electricity for a week or so?

Ruble Noon
07-01-2012, 17:26
Power outages drag on in D.C. region; officials fuming at utility companies (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/power-outages-could-last-for-days/2012/07/01/gJQA3JVjFW_story.html?hpid=z1)

Been there done that.

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 17:32
Been there done that.

Me too. 3 months at one point, but that was in another country. Longest here has been a day or so, but have never forgotten to keep things like solar showers, water filtration systems, tents, aid bags, flashlights, a BUNCH of batteries, 10 gallons of gas with stabilizer that gets rotated, and 3 full propane tanks, with a fourth being used. Lots of food too. Much of that is not dehydrated, to cut down initially on water needs.

LASTRESORT20
07-01-2012, 17:33

Yes....been there....many I feel have not....or just dont care..... until....

countrygun
07-01-2012, 17:46
We lose it about 2 days a year on average. Had one storm a few years ago where we were out for 3 on for one out for 2 more.

NBD for me. I had a great time. Cooked in my fireplace. The storm washed up and incredible amount of seafood on to the beach if you had the chutzah to go get it. Had it been a long term thing, well lets just say "there are few enough game wardens around in the good weather".

"Country Boy can survive"

DC area without power????? Not on your freaking life.

Ruble Noon
07-01-2012, 17:47
Me too. 3 months at one point, but that was in another country. Longest here has been a day or so, but have never forgotten to keep things like solar showers, water filtration systems, tents, aid bags, flashlights, a BUNCH of batteries, 10 gallons of gas with stabilizer that gets rotated, and 3 full propane tanks, with a fourth being used. Lots of food too. Much of that is not dehydrated, to cut down initially on water needs.

If I had my preference I would choose to be without power during the winter months. I now have a generator but I bought it after our last stint without power that lasted over two weeks due to a major ice storm. I was amazed at the number of people that lost all of their refrigerated and frozen food due to lack of power when they had a natural freezer right outside their door.

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 17:54
If I had my preference I would choose to be without power during the winter months. I now have a generator but I bought it after our last stint without power that lasted over two weeks due to a major ice storm. I was amazed at the number of people that lost all of their refrigerated and frozen food due to lack of power when they had a natural freezer right outside their door.

Agree with winter, for obvious reasons. .....http://fc06.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/114/4/4/_hot_.gif

I've got a Freezerator It's on wheels, and as an added trick, the upper portion is a refrigerator, that will actually heat the compartment if it approaches freezing. Which is not often a problem here :supergrin:

http://www.800hightech.com/gladiator-garageworks-freezerator-convertible-refrigerator-freezer.html

LittleLebowski
07-01-2012, 18:02

No problem! I live in the area and did fine (http://rationalgun.blogspot.com/2012/07/great-electrical-storm-of-12-or-how-i.html).

Guss
07-01-2012, 20:09
It's sad how spoiled people have gotten. They should live for a while in some less advanced part of the world where outages are routine.

Goaltender66
07-01-2012, 20:16
The issue isnt so much a lack of convenience. It hit 104 degrees today, and DC is not known for having a dry heat. Such conditions can be a real problem for some, especially the elderly.

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 20:21
The issue isnt so much a lack of convenience. It hit 104 degrees today, and DC is not known for having a dry heat. Such conditions can be a real problem for some, especially the elderly.

The 2003 European heat wave was the hottest summer on record in Europe since at least 1540. France was hit especially hard. The heat wave led to health crises in several countries and combined with drought to create a crop shortfall in Southern Europe. More than 70,000 Europeans died as a result of the heat wave. Country-by-country France In France, there were 14,802 heat-related deaths (mostly among the elderly) during the heat wave, according to the French National Institute of Health. France does not commonly have very hot summers, particularly in the northern areas, but seven days with temperatures of more than were recorded in Auxerre, Yonne between July and August 2003. Because of the usually relatively mild summers, most people did not know how to react to very high temperatures (for instance, with respect to rehydration), and most single-family homes and residential facilities built in the last 50 years were not equipped with air conditioning.

Drink however much you need to in order to have a full bladder every 2 hours.

ChuteTheMall
07-01-2012, 20:43
I'm luckier than most.:banana:

During the storm my lights flickered and I had to reset my alarm clock.:yawn:

I've been only slightly inconvenienced by surprise traffic jams at places like gas stations and at McDonalds, because many businesses are closed.

A few traffic lights out caused some traffic pileups but every day more of these get fixed.

I hear horror stories from friends and neighbors, and I see many people out walking in 90 degree heat, something which used to be rare.
I've had folks drop in at home and at work just to recharge their cellphones and sit in front of the AC (which I have cranked to the max):cold:

Glad I don't live on some eleventh floor without power.:faint:

I grew up in Floriduh, mostly without air conditioning.
It's not so bad if you remain acclimated to it.
We opened lots of windows in the shade.:suntan:

Jerry
07-01-2012, 21:27

I went through Katrina. I can go a lot longer than a week without electricity. :supergrin:

alexanderg23
07-01-2012, 21:34
Been through a couple of ice storms in NW AR 7-10 days without power. Having to walk a mile up hill to get to my truck to get to work and the store. Glad I have a wood burning stove and has runs on propane.

Gunnut 45/454
07-01-2012, 21:46
Cavalry Doc
I have a generator- mainly used for camping but I can use it to power the fridge/freezer if needed. Wouldn't power A/C. But I have a pool to cool down in if needed. When I first moved where I'm at -anytime we had a storm or big blow like clockwork we'd loose power. Worse was about 9 hours. That was before pool/an generator. Now I even have the fridge in the camper as emergency backup. Unfortunately those folks back east for the most part are city folk that have no clue on how to survive! Some lessons need to be learned the hard way. Some times those lessons unfortunately may cost your life!:faint: Good old mother nature is sometime a cruel teacher.

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 04:47
I'm luckier than most.:banana:

During the storm my lights flickered and I had to reset my alarm clock.:yawn:

I've been only slightly inconvenienced by surprise traffic jams at places like gas stations and at McDonalds, because many businesses are closed.

A few traffic lights out caused some traffic pileups but every day more of these get fixed.

I hear horror stories from friends and neighbors, and I see many people out walking in 90 degree heat, something which used to be rare.
I've had folks drop in at home and at work just to recharge their cellphones and sit in front of the AC (which I have cranked to the max):cold:

Glad I don't live on some eleventh floor without power.:faint:

I grew up in Floriduh, mostly without air conditioning.
It's not so bad if you remain acclimated to it.
We opened lots of windows in the shade.:suntan:

You don't even have the backup battery un your alarm clock? Guess you won't be on any upcoming episodes of Doomsday preppers. :supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 04:49
Cavalry Doc
I have a generator- mainly used for camping but I can use it to power the fridge/freezer if needed. Wouldn't power A/C. But I have a pool to cool down in if needed. When I first moved where I'm at -anytime we had a storm or big blow like clockwork we'd loose power. Worse was about 9 hours. That was before pool/an generator. Now I even have the fridge in the camper as emergency backup. Unfortunately those folks back east for the most part are city folk that have no clue on how to survive! Some lessons need to be learned the hard way. Some times those lessons unfortunately may cost your life!:faint: Good old mother nature is sometime a cruel teacher.

You can learn a lot from living a couple months outside. Done that several times in deserts and Bavaria. Summer and winter in both environments.

Little tip. Take a 1 liter plastic bottle with clean water in it. Pull a
Fairly thick sock over it with the opening of the sock and bottle at the same end. Keep the sock wet. Evaporation will keep your water a about 20 degrees cooler. Makes it much easier to drink more.

ChuteTheMall
07-02-2012, 08:46
You don't even have the backup battery un your alarm clock? Guess you won't be on any upcoming episodes of Doomsday preppers. :supergrin:

Actually, I also have a battery operated alarm clock but the clock radio's alarm goes off first.:supergrin:

G29Reload
07-02-2012, 08:50
Gave me an unexpected day off. Work is at a facility in Arlington.

I live in Western Loudoun. I called in my power outage the minute it happened, around 10p Fri night. It was on 9a the next morning. I was lucky, maybe because I called in so soon, and first in line.

People around the corner from me are not so lucky and have been out since then.

wjv
07-02-2012, 10:36
Haven't seen any reports of looting in DC or the other affected areas. I hope that is the case. It would be nice if people actually behaved for once.

Ruble Noon
07-02-2012, 10:54
Haven't seen any reports of looting in DC or the other affected areas. I hope that is the case. It would be nice if people actually behaved for once.

The politicians must have already left for the holiday.

Walt_NC
07-02-2012, 11:00
I am in the affected area. Like people have said, its not so much the lack of power as it is the lack of air conditioning. The heat index for the area has been hovering around 110 degrees for the last week or so. Bad news for kids and seniors.

The power is gradually being restored - ours came back on yesterday afternoon - but there are still a few hundred thousand people going without and are being told that they could remain without power until this weekend. That being said, I've been out and about quite a bit and haven't seen too many problems. Neighborhoods have taken it on themselves to clear their roads of downed trees. Hotels with power (and AC) are giving steep discounts to those affected and allowing them to bring pets. The city and county pools are open longer and are free to everyone. Malls are open long before and after actual store hours so that folks can come in to cool down. Grocery stores are giving away bags of ice and styrofoam coolers.

Walt_NC
07-02-2012, 11:09
As an afterthought, I was really impressed with my parents neighbors (I picked a great week to visit). Most had generators. A few went out immediately after the storm passed ( 1 AMish) to collect huge amounts of ice and gas to distribute with neighbors. Those of us who didn't go for ice and gas stayed behind and cleared the downed trees from the streets. One neighbor has a giant play room in their basement, so someone volunteered a few window-mounted AC's and a generator to provide a cool place for the neighborhood kids and old folks to hang out.

G29Reload
07-02-2012, 13:04

Actually I wish riots would break out evrywhere and Zero get the blame for it.

G29Reload
07-02-2012, 13:04
The politicians must have already left for the holiday.

Yeah, the looting started last Thursday at 10:06am.

Walt_NC
07-02-2012, 14:41
Actually I wish riots would break out evrywhere and Zero get the blame for it.

Stay classy.

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 16:45
As an afterthought, I was really impressed with my parents neighbors (I picked a great week to visit). Most had generators. A few went out immediately after the storm passed ( 1 AMish) to collect huge amounts of ice and gas to distribute with neighbors. Those of us who didn't go for ice and gas stayed behind and cleared the downed trees from the streets. One neighbor has a giant play room in their basement, so someone volunteered a few window-mounted AC's and a generator to provide a cool place for the neighborhood kids and old folks to hang out.

People that are neighborly, aren't likely to riot or loot. But there are an awful lot of less than neighborly people in the world. Be careful out there.

http://www.catsprn.com/images/loot_we_shoot.jpg