http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/power-outages-could-last-for-days/2012/ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/power-outages-could-last-for-days/2012/

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 17:24
Kind of mundane, but people right now are dealing with the loss of electricity and 911 support.

Are you ready to bug in for a mundane interruption of services?

FatBoy
07-01-2012, 18:01
Kind of mundane, but people right now are dealing with the loss of electricity and 911 support.

Are you ready to bug in for a mundane interruption of services?

Been there done that for over a week in a Maine winter. The 100+F temps must really suck, but below freezing for days on end ain't no fun either.

No 911 would suck in a major metropolitan area while the looters rule the streets, but out here in the sticks things are different. The better 1/2 and I are both healthcare workers, so minor issues are easily taken care of.

FB

cowboy1964
07-01-2012, 18:21
In this weather I wouldn't bug in. I would take a little vacation.

dissthis
07-01-2012, 19:21
We would be fine. Prepared plus 30+ miles out side city (Atlanta) limits.
Will be interesting to watch DC people handle this....

quake
07-01-2012, 20:18
Power outages are by far the most-common 'prep' situations we encounter here. Not so much 911 loss, but that could probably be a real problem in a lot of areas.

Haven't lost power recently, but with this heat I did put the sprinkler hose back up on the roof ridgeline last week. Running light & slow so the water just barely reaches the roofline before evaporating, it makes a huge difference in the roof temperature, which in turn makes a real difference in the a/c's load. Which I guess actually could help alleviate power-grid issues, for that matter.

rwrjr
07-02-2012, 07:45
In the middle of it right now sitting here in Northern VA. The lines in our neighborhood are underground but we are fed by above ground lines further away. Those are down in two place with one telephone pole snapped 1/3 from the top. We're likely to be down another day or two, possibly more.

Preps wise we had everything covered EXCEPT a generator. I've always thought in terms of a longer term SHTF type event that a genny might make too much noise so I never bought one. Sure would like to have one now to keep the fridge and freezer running. As luck would have it we had eaten the freezer down to restocking stage anyway so three bags of ice have kept everything else in there from spoiling.

Note to eneloop users. Keep 'em charged. :supergrin: We didn't have cell service for about 18 hours so we had to use a radio. Popped in my AA eneloops and nothing. Fortunately this radio also has a dynamo w/ hand crank. Crank worked just as advertised so we were able to find out how bad things really were.

We have NG so stove top works just fine but even if it didn't we have multiple ways to cook. Had plenty of gas but didn't need it. Had stored water but didn't need it. Ditto food.

Lesson learned for me, get a decent generator if for no other reason than to keep fridge and freezer running, maybe a light or two, and ability to charge phones for comms. Not critical but a nice to have as the generator will likely cost many multiples of a freezers worth of food.

All things considered it's been pretty easy, yes a little hot but we're sleeping on cots in the basement where it's relatively cool. If this was a multi-week event I would probably move beds down there. My 7 y/o son thinks it's a grand adventure. We've been playing games and cards with him and he also finds other ways to keep himself occupied if we're busy.

I'm thinking about this Honda tri-fuel package. (http://www.generatorsales.com/order/Honda-EU3000iS-Tri-fuel.asp?page=EU3000iS_Tri_Fuel) Since we have NG I'm thinking of running it out to our lower patio. Anybody have experience with the Honda 3000i?

Adjuster
07-02-2012, 10:16
Inverters are inexpensive and vehicles cost very little to idle. I powered a tv, fan, lights and cell phone chargers off a very simple to use 400w inverter.

/

Toyman
07-02-2012, 10:48
I bet the people who made fun of preppers feel pretty stupid right now.

rwrjr
07-02-2012, 10:59
I bet the people who made fun of preppers feel pretty stupid right now.

You would be wrong. Instead they are mad at the power company for not being prepared for an event like this. Even the dingleberry politicians are getting in the blame the power company game. It's truly sad to see just how many idiots I'm surrounded by in the DC area when I read the comments to the stories online. Reminds me of a couple of winters ago when we had "snow-mageddon" and people were *****ing that it took three days to get their neighborhoods plowed.

Their lack of preparation and just general coping skills is always somebody else's fault.

I tell you what if the politicians disappeared for a month during an event like this nobody would notice. But electrical workers and street plowers are very missed when it counts.

Remember that in November. If their name is on the ballot, they perform no useful function, they create or produce nothing of value, and they are likely a self serving idiot regardless of party.

F350
07-02-2012, 11:02
too bad D.C. it's self didn't get shut down, we could use a couple weeks of not getting screwed.

Carry16
07-02-2012, 12:57
rwrjr - I can't say enough about my Honda EU6500is. I would bet the 3000i is just as good. They are costly, but will run for weeks on end if you need them to and they are truly quiet - you can stand right next to one and talk to your neighbor without shouting.

Dirk Pitt
07-02-2012, 13:51
No 911 would suck in a major metropolitan area while the looters rule the streets,......FB

I am sure that would not be a problem in Washington D.C. with all the excellent crime control laws they have in effect....:rofl:

gtrcivic
07-02-2012, 14:28
Finally got power today at 2pm. Out since last friday night. I was prepped for everything except for having a generator. Had enough water, gas for grilling, bread/chips, batteries...Next on my list is a generator.

inzone
07-02-2012, 17:28
just saw the news...this is a good wake up call for me when i tend to get complacent and stop prepping.... what if it was 72 hrs or 72 days? put in some more orders for more "beans and bullets" today!

concretefuzzynuts
07-02-2012, 17:37
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/new_funny_gif_23.gif

Harbour
07-02-2012, 18:28
We didn't have cell service for about 18 hours so we had to use a radio.

Just curious. During that time that cell service was down, did land lines continue to function?

wheels41
07-02-2012, 18:58
Fortunately, I was ready for this one. Power was out from Friday 7:45pm til Sunday 7:30pm. We used the genny to power fridge, freezer and fan. Candles provided light. One hole was a lack of D cells for a fan at night when the genny was shut-off for a break and security concerns. Another was worry 10 gallons of fuel may not be enough. I managed to get more, but realized I'd let that area lapse. Lesson to my self and others here, don't get complacent in your preps.
Many, many were suffering and asked when FEMA and other help was going to arrive. Recovery is going very slowly. Many will be without power as late as Saturday. Please pray for those in need.

Bilbo Bagins
07-02-2012, 19:44
In this weather I wouldn't bug in. I would take a little vacation.

+1

A while back someone here on S&P thumped his chest and said that during a similar week long power outage he toughed it out, while a so called "weak" neighbor "couldn't take it" and decided to take a vacation.

I think one of the best preps in a long term event like this is the means and ability to get away from a bad situation post SHTF.

Yea lets spend a week huddle around a fan on a hot summer day, burning hundred of dollars of fuel in your generator to keep fans running, the lights on, and the fridge running, all while sleeping in shifts with a shotgun waiting for looters, and to protect your family.

Or spend the week on a Beach or in Disneyworld, having fun with your family, relaxing, and sleeping in hotel bed with free A/C, wifi and Cable.

Your choice :dunno:

pugman
07-03-2012, 07:17
While I have no concern with myself...my neighbors on the other hand are another story.

Two weeks ago we lost power for four hours. Some idiot ran into the transformer's pole which powers this side of the lake.

Robin, our town clerk, received over 300 emails and 150 phone calls in a two hour period of time. People complaining about everything from food in their fridge to the storm which was coming later that evening and not being able to get weather reports.

Some people I know drove to friend's houses in the city who still had power; this happened around 5:30 at night so it wasn't that hot.

It was the talk of my neighbors for a week...over a four hour power loss?

Seeing how people handled this I went out and bought an extra shotgun for my wife...people freaked out this bad

Haldor
07-03-2012, 08:26
Lost Power Friday night and we are just fine.

Fired up the 5.5KW generator a couple of hours morning and evening. The whole house fan keeps the temperature bearable so we can get some sleep at night. Refrigerator works, lights in every room, microwave oven, coffee maker. It was pretty hot and humid, but we survived. No generator and life would be a lot less comfortable

We have lost power 3 times in summer and twice in winter in the last 5 years. Longest period without power was Hurricane Ike (5 days). This time we only had a 2 day outage.

The key to living comfortably though a power outage is to have a generator big enough to run the gas furnace that is wired into the house wiring (transfer switch or generator lockout). Being able to turn on any light switch you want is very nice. We can live without AC (a whole house fan is a good enough), but no heat in the winter would force us out.

A generator interlock is a lot cheaper than a transfer switch and works just as well (assuming you have a compatible breaker box). I have one of these combined with a 30 AMP back-fed breaker for my generator and it has worked great through 5 power outages so far.

http://www.interlockkit.com/images/MEPanel033a.jpg

http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

uptomyneck
07-03-2012, 08:47
Reading stories like this is why I'm glad I went PV with battery backup. Plus I have a 10kw propane generator wired thru a transfer switch into my main and backup panels. I'm kinda hooked on electricity.

Haldor
07-03-2012, 21:45
Just curious. During that time that cell service was down, did land lines continue to function?

Cell coverage got mighty skimpy.

Land Lines never bobbled here.

RWBlue
07-03-2012, 22:43
I am amazed at the stupidity of the thread. DC didn't burn to the ground. It was a very boring weekend. I spent most of the time eyeball deep in a pool eating food from the grill.

I did raid the office and get ice. The generator at the house I was sitting died.

It was a boring weekend.

I will blame the power companies for continuing the stupidity. The same neighborhoods have been dark many times. The neighborhoods have old trees and the power lines are run above ground. They should know better. They should start running at least the main trunks underground. Heck, I come from the midwest. We didn't have this big of problem with power there and we had bigger storms.

Big Bird
07-04-2012, 06:59
Ehhhh. We have this problem around here from time to time. In the past ten years at my house we have been out of power three times for more than 7 days. Wind storm, Ice Storm, etc. The power company around here just got tired of dealing with it and enforced its right of ways and cut all the trees that could possible threaten a power line. People raised hell...but they raise hell when they don't have tricity more.

But I agree with Bilbo. Why hang out when you don't have to. Head to the mountains or Orlando or the Lake...

rj1939
07-04-2012, 09:26
I'd say that power outages will be the norm........blackouts, brownouts and such, due to the Zero's attack on coal. There are quite a few generating plants due to shut down over the next couple of years. Ohio will be hit hard, the list of closures adds up to about 23 gigawatts.......far more than the EPA estimated when they started pushing O's agenda.
We have had outages almost every day a couple of weeks ago.
It must be bad, they fired up a local power plant that had been shut down for several years recently. Ameren got a grant to convert it from coal to natural gas, as soon as the conversion was over, they shut it down.

cowboy1964
07-04-2012, 11:24
It must be bad, they fired up a local power plant that had been shut down for several years recently. Ameren got a grant to convert it from coal to natural gas, as soon as the conversion was over, they shut it down.

WHY did they shut it down?

rj1939
07-04-2012, 11:58
WHY did they shut it down?

They said it was cheaper to buy power off the "grid", after spending the grant to changeover from coal to natural gas. It had been shut down for probably ten or twelve years.

This tends to tell me that we are out of excess generating capacity.
Wait til we have the next natural gas "shortage", they are never too far off.

rwrjr
07-05-2012, 06:59

I don't know. We have the FiOS bundle including phone. It has a battery backup for the phone that started to peter out Saturday afternoon. It started the low battery beep so I disconnected the battery.

We don't have a traditional phone for a land line, we have cordless units that require power. So it's possible land lines were up, even FiOS before the battery died, but without a older traditional unit I had no way of knowing.

Truthfully, a land line, functioning or not, isn't that big of a deal to me. Ditto with 911 service. Even if both were up last weekend I'm sure emergency services had their hands full and response time was probably pretty long.

I'm 50 and have never used 911 in my life and I hope to keep that record going for another 30 plus years. From what I see most emergency calls are really nothing more than very expensive taxi service to the doctor. Yeah sure there are serious car crashes and other life threatening scenarios what show the value of 911 but I'd love to see real statistics that group calls by seriousness. We'll never see that because if we did we would all vote to spend less on emergency services and to charge people who abuse them. We'll end up there anyway due to virtually universal budgetary problems but not before a lot of gnashing of teeth and gobs of BS.

Hey EMT, if you're reading this, truthfully what percentage of your calls require trained experts and how many could have simple been transported by family or friends? And why do they send three f'ing units for "chest pains".