Touching up barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Touching up barrel

stupendousman
07-01-2012, 18:13
I've got a fairly new G19 where the barrel has the normal wear at the top edge where it rubs against the top of the slide.

While I know this thread would normally get the usual "it's normal wear, don't worry about it" responses, I was wonder how well something like this...

Birchwood Casey Touchup Pen:
http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=0baf8d95-99a1-4e70-9f2d-02678e02f137

..would work to touch up the barrel to look factory new in between range time? I'd really like something that makes it look non-obvious that there's been a touch up, or wouldn't bother in the first place.

Would something work better? Maybe another Birchwood Casey blueing product?

mr_fender
07-01-2012, 18:37
Unfortunately, cold blue products simply do not hold up to abrasion and offer little to no rust protection. Even a hot caustic blue job is still fairly delicate compared to more modern coatings. Your best bet would probably be to have it refinished. Finishing just a barrel shouldn't set you back very much. I think Lone Wolf does black oxide finishing for about $25.

kodiakpb
07-01-2012, 18:48
Honestly you're wasting your time.

GThirtyTwo
07-01-2012, 18:48
It's a tool. A glock is not meant to be a beauty queen.

I hate to have to say what you know everyone is going to say, but shoot the crap out of it and quit worrying about what it looks like, it's not a safe queen. Are you really THAT worried about what a self defense tool looks like "in between range sessions"??

To answer your question, cold blue doesn't do anything because bluing is a form of rusting and Glocks tennifer process prevents corrosion and is deeper than the actual black coating, so the cold blue touchup pen won't do anything.

TRX450R_Racer
07-01-2012, 18:59
Buy a new barrel and switch it out after you shoot so it looks pretty.

Keoking
07-01-2012, 19:03

Yup, only way to keep the barrel looking pretty.

tonyparson
07-01-2012, 19:09

Yes do this and send the old scratched up barrels to me. :supergrin:

stupendousman
07-01-2012, 19:09
I'm not "worried" about anything. I just saw the pen at a gun store and wondered if it would allow me both to shoot the gun as much as I want, and still make it look pretty new when I'm not.

Nothing wrong with that. Really, the people who keep chiming in with the "it's a tool" stuff to threads like this ARE being a tool. People get it. If they were afraid of scratching their guns, they'd just leave them in a safe. I was looking at a possible "best of both worlds." If that's not your thing, then don't bother those for whom it might be. You are wasting both our times! :)

ChicagoZman
07-01-2012, 19:36
I doubt a blue touch-up pen will work on a Glock barrel (at least mine won't, just tried to see if it would) but you can try.

Veedubklown
07-01-2012, 21:35
I doubt a blue touch-up pen will work on a Glock barrel (at least mine won't, just tried to see if it would) but you can try.

Pretty sure your right, due to the tennifer process, it doesn't allow the cold blue to react with the steel.

robhic
07-02-2012, 10:39
To make it look good between shootings, yes it will work. Soon as you fire the pistol it will come off. So if you are willing to touch up the barrel after every cleaning it will be fine for you.

I touched up a small wear mark on the rear corner of my slide and it looked good for about 2 weeks. The touch-up pens are VERY cosmetic only.

Veedubklown
07-02-2012, 11:27
Even cold blue in a bottle (all a touch up pen is, really anyway) doesn't hold up much to contact.

MikeG36
07-02-2012, 11:46
If you want it to look perfect between uses try a Magic Marker. :wavey::whistling::supergrin:

Seriously man, ain't nothin' like a well seasoned Glock. Use it with pride!!

Veedubklown
07-02-2012, 12:13
You could always polish your barrel and hood, that would hide the difference in color. You'll still get some light scratches, though. At leas they'd be difficult to see.

guns54
07-02-2012, 13:12
Even cold blue in a bottle (all a touch up pen is, really anyway) doesn't hold up much to contact.Nothing will hold up. You cant get away from the wear.Shoot and be safe.

M&P15T
07-02-2012, 13:18
I would imagine that the color wouldn't match-up, and that you could still tell that it was "touched-up".

As others have mentioned, forget about it, not worth your time. They're tools, not show pieces.

stupendousman
07-03-2012, 05:03
To answer your question, cold blue doesn't do anything because bluing is a form of rusting and Glocks tennifer process prevents corrosion and is deeper than the actual black coating, so the cold blue touchup pen won't do anything.

Thank you. This is the sort of answer I was looking for.

I was not looking for people to reply, not answer my question, and essentially tell me my question was stupid. Thanks, but no thanks for that. :(

ftw13
07-03-2012, 21:54
I've got a fairly new G19 where the barrel has the normal wear at the top edge where it rubs against the top of the slide.

While I know this thread would normally get the usual "it's normal wear, don't worry about it" responses, I was wonder how well something like this...

Birchwood Casey Touchup Pen:
http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Finishing/FinishingDetails.aspx?ProductID=0baf8d95-99a1-4e70-9f2d-02678e02f137

..would work to touch up the barrel to look factory new in between range time? I'd really like something that makes it look non-obvious that there's been a touch up, or wouldn't bother in the first place.

Would something work better? Maybe another Birchwood Casey blueing product?

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c199/luckylotustattoo/ummmm.gif

mj9mm
07-03-2012, 22:00
easier to take all the black off the barrel

jmb79
07-03-2012, 22:30
Thank you. This is the sort of answer I was looking for.

I was not looking for people to reply, not answer my question, and essentially tell me my question was stupid. Thanks, but no thanks for that. :(

But your question is pretty stupid. You're going to have to get some thicker skin if you're going to continue asking questions on Glock Talk.

gdiddy
07-04-2012, 07:19
You could always polish your barrel and hood, that would hide the difference in color. You'll still get some light scratches, though. At leas they'd be difficult to see.
+1
Perfect solution to your problem. There is a guy on ebay that does this service. You might be able to do this yourself if you have the right abrasives and polishing tools but, it is a rather long and difficult process if done correctly.

There is nothing wrong with wanting your guns to look as good as possible. It is a sign of a person who takes care of his belongings.
Tools of any kind will serve you better when they are well maintained.

stupendousman
07-04-2012, 08:52
But your question is pretty stupid. You're going to have to get some thicker skin if you're going to continue asking questions on Glock Talk.

My question, whether or not a product designed to touch-up worn places on firearms would work to touch-up a worn place on a Glock barrel, is "pretty stupid?"

I think you're going to have to show a better understanding of logic and reasonable debate if you want any intelligent people on this board to take you seriously.

stupendousman
07-04-2012, 08:53
There is nothing wrong with wanting your guns to look as good as possible. It is a sign of a person who takes care of his belongings.
Tools of any kind will serve you better when they are well maintained.

+1

It really doesn't bother me that much. I had considered polishing though.

RM686
12-26-2012, 02:51
Any person that says your question is stupid are STUPID. WTF is wrong with you people. The guy wants his gun to look nice. Why is that a problem.
I have found the Brownells T-4 touch up "DICROPAN" works well but will wear off very quickly after a few rounds or you rack the slide Dryfiring. I have $1000.00 Sigs which have black barrels but they left the top of the barrel which shows on top of the slide stainless which makes sense. Guess Glock saves 50cents leaving it black.

Gallium
12-26-2012, 03:45
I've read initial question, and all the responses.

Aint a damn thing wrong with wanting to keep guns pristine, or blinged out. It is for partly that reason why I have TWO of a few select Glocks - so I have a "safe queen" to look at. The other reason is I have a 1:1 replica in the event I needed parts for the working gun, or if that gun is lost/stolen/seized/otherwise out of service.

Sometimes the answer to our questions can be found not only in the answer we *want* to hear, or in the respectful format we appreciate.

Sometimes the collective is telling the truth.

To the OP - ("stupendousman"), on a non-joking, non-attacking, very serious level, how long did you think it would take before people started answering questions you ask, particularly of this nature, with a screen name like that? Again, not an attack, as when I read some of the responses with the word "stupid" in it, I didn't think folks were doing much more than playing off your screen name.

In my professional life I have the same issue with young clients (entertainers) I have to work with. They give themselves a stage name that is going to sound ...odd in 7-10 years when they are a little bit more mature.

Welcome to GT. Most of the same folks who called your idea stupendous will cheer with you when you score a Glock deal, will commiserate with you if your Glock gets damaged or stolen, with drool over pictures of your nicely modded guns. Don't be turned off by folks for expressing themselves. They are speaking from a perspective (experience with guns) that is different than yours.

If GT's archive went back 9-10 years, I would probably go hunt out it's server rooms and flood every last server so that my very embarrassing (to me now) 1st questions would never resurface.

- G
:cool:

Bruce M
12-26-2012, 05:57
Since most anything applied is going to wear off quickly, I might just go with the magic marker idea.

whitey4311
12-26-2012, 09:05
Steps

1: start over with a new glock
2: smother it in grease all over where the wear marks occurred on your now cosmetically flawed glock
3: start learning to play with a dremel
4: when the gun malfunctions play dumb and start another thread about glock reliability sucking so we can have a 20 page discussion.
5: get into 1911s and dont ever shoot them

dango
12-26-2012, 10:27
I'm on the other end . When the barrel gets to a point "Glock Smiley Face" , I make it look like chrome by polishing it !
And what's wrong with a pretty Glock ?

If you gotta black , then Yeap new barrel !