Hidden Message in Supreme Court Opinions? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Message in Supreme Court Opinions?

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 19:07
Is there a hidden message in the Supreme Court Justice's opinions? Clue: What is not talked about is just as important as what is talked about...

The hidden message in this post is that this is extra credit for my constitutional law class :tongueout: Undergrad class btw

Do you guys have any rational theories?

rgregoryb
07-01-2012, 19:22
the problem with the theory of silence is that it is mostly speculation and open ended. Also there are way too many variables in the argument. One day I may want just vanilla ice cream, does that mean I don't like hot fudge?

hogship
07-01-2012, 19:34
Is there a hidden message in the Supreme Court Justice's opinions? Clue: What is not talked about is just as important as what is talked about...

The hidden messege in this post is that this is extra credit for my constitutional law class :tongueout: Undergrad class btw

How about if YOU tell us what you think?

I have a hard time believing there is a hidden message in Robert's opinion. This would be the same thing as the "Robert's is playing chess" arguments, and I don't buy into that, either.

When discussing "legislating from the bench", there is plenty of speculation that certain opinions are contrary to law......or, the "spirit of the law". Everyone is free to have their own opinions about that, and I have mine. It is my opinion that Roberts made an incorrect decision which may end up being very costly for every American. He has his reasons for doing what he did, and I can't see any "hidden message" there.........do you?

If you are a law student, you probably ought to start using a spell checker.......

ooc

Gunnut 45/454
07-01-2012, 19:42
Yea the hidden message is 4 out the 9 justices really know how to interpet the COTUS as written. They don't read into any meaning except what it says! Take note law boy! It means exactly what it says nothing more nothing less!:steamed:

Cavalry Doc
07-01-2012, 19:44

The hidden messege in this post is that this is extra credit for my constitutional law class :tongueout: Undergrad class btw

You could do a pretty nice paper on Appeal to Ignorance.

Making conclusions based on what was not said is not a smart move. It may simply be that it was not considered at this time.

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 19:59
How about if YOU tell us what you think?

If you are a law student, you probably ought to start using a spell checker.......

ooc

No, I am not a law student...btw what did I misspell?

I should have mentioned that we are writing a paper over Miller V Alabama....Every one jumped on Obamacare...sorry.
We are to discuss if it is a pragmatic interpretation, I have no problem with that....I am just super stumped at this Hidden theory

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 20:04
You could do a pretty nice paper on Appeal to Ignorance.

Thanks for the idea Doc, I like it.

hogship
07-01-2012, 20:04
No, I am not a law student...btw what did I misspell?

I should have mentioned that we are writing a paper over Miller V Alabama....Every one jumped on Obamacare...sorry.
We are to discuss if it is a pragmatic interpretation, I have no problem with that....I am just super stumped at this Hidden theory

Messege

OK, what hidden message theories have you heard?

ooc

countrygun
07-01-2012, 20:05
If you play it backwards at 33 1/3 it says "Paul is Dead"

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 20:10
Thanks,... I have heard of none....I canít make an argument based on a "hidden" message according to the appeal to ignorance fallacy?

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 20:30
The appeal to ignorance really takes the wind out of any kind of hidden message theory......I am sure I will get the extra credit if I make the argument that these theories are a fallacy anyway

hogship
07-01-2012, 21:09
Hey Slackinoff.......

I just heard a "Robert's plays chess", or "hidden message" kind of thing on online radio......Dennis Prager show, if you've ever heard of him. Anyway, it's been proposed that Roberts' decision might rally the GOP vote and ultimately oust Obama at the polls this November. It really wasn't suggested that Roberts' had a hidden message, but I connected the dots after having your thread fresh on my mind. So........it could be theorized that Roberts ditched his responsibility to apply the Constitution in order to ultimately rid this country of Obama...........

I don't believe any of that is true.......but, my fertile imagination stirred the pot, and thought it might be something you can write your paper on!.....:supergrin:

ooc

CAcop
07-01-2012, 21:51
Was Kennedey blinking in Morse code when he read the dissent?

hogship
07-01-2012, 22:05

OK, OK......you made me laugh! :rofl:

ooc

cowboy1964
07-01-2012, 22:36
If Roberts' decision was some kind of brilliant right-wing ploy then why didn't all the right-wing justices just vote the same way? Is Roberts playing the "bad guy"?

I don't think he's that smart. Look how be flubbed the oath of office for Obama.

Slackinoff
07-01-2012, 22:38
Hey Slackinoff.......

I just heard a "Robert's plays chess", or "hidden message" kind of thing on online radio......Dennis Prager show, if you've ever heard of him. Anyway, it's been proposed that Roberts' decision might rally the GOP vote and ultimately oust Obama at the polls this November. It really wasn't suggested that Roberts' had a hidden message, but I connected the dots after having your thread fresh on my mind. So........it could be theorized that Roberts ditched his responsibility to apply the Constitution in order to ultimately rid this country of Obama...........

I don't believe any of that is true.......but, my fertile imagination stirred the pot, and thought it might be something you can write your paper on!.....:supergrin:

ooc

Hey thanks hog! Well I don’t have to write an entire paper on the subject. Our professor suggested that we write a little something about it for extra credit.

barbedwiresmile
07-02-2012, 03:45
If you play it backwards at 33 1/3 it says "Paul is Dead"

:rofl::rofl::rofl: