Woman fired for refusing to accept EBT card for cigarettes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Woman fired for refusing to accept EBT card for cigarettes

snerd
07-02-2012, 01:47
I'm with ya, Jackie!
A former employee of the Big Apple convenience store in Peterborough, Whiton was fired after she refused to accept Electronic Benefit Transfer cards as payment for cigarettes. She is now collecting signatures for a petition protesting how the state aid program is run, and plans to lobby the governor.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120628/NEWHAMPSHIRE09/706289985

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-02-2012, 05:17
Boo hoo, what an injustice. If I'm the owner of the store, I give Janey Punchclock the same boot in her can. All I need is some cashier vigilante making grocery lists for my customers. If she doesn't like the policy, then hit the door. If I found out this was her regular practice, then I'd sue her for loss of income.

Now go to the polls and tell me the aisle for the Wild Irish Rose.

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 05:47
Boo hoo, what an injustice. If I'm the owner of the store, I give Janey Punchclock the same boot in her can. All I need is some cashier vigilante making grocery lists for my customers. If she doesn't like the policy, then hit the door. If I found out this was her regular practice, then I'd sue her for loss of income.

Now go to the polls and tell me the aisle for the Wild Irish Rose.

You're right. She should just document her disapproval, your orders, and publish it on the 6 o'clock news, which will report the DA is looking into getting a pretty indictment for you.

That would be a much happier outcome for all involved.

ETA: I gotta ask, how are you paying for your smokes?

Deployment Solu
07-02-2012, 06:07
That "free" money costs us all. I don't have a boat because I can't afford one. Poor babies, can't afford cigarettes because they are too lazy to support themselves...hey, don't smoke if you can't afford to. You ain't helping me get a boat, why should I help you get smokes????

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 06:27
Organizer of food stamp program pleads guilty

(http://news.wacobreakingnews.com/tweets/218491038560567296.embed)

Faces 40 years in prison and restitution.

That's a much happier outcome.

The young lady should get a medal.

DonGlock26
07-02-2012, 07:17
Why can anyone by cigarettes with "food stamps" cards at all?

_

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 07:35

_

In North Carolina, legally, they can't.

Her employer should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The employee should be compensated under whistle blower protections.

nmk
07-02-2012, 08:51
She was fired after she quit.

HarlDane
07-02-2012, 08:57

_

In North Carolina, legally, they can't.

Her employer should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The employee should be compensated under whistle blower protections.
In most states, EBT isn't just food stamps, they also have cash funds that replaced the monthly welfare checks which can be used just like a debit card, either at a store or ATM.

I don't think it's ethical to buy a pack of smokes with welfare, but it's entirely legal.

Fred Hansen
07-02-2012, 09:06

_'Cause it free!

Chapter - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Clean) - YouTube

rhikdavis
07-02-2012, 09:07
Jambog. Yeah I got nothing better to do.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1429543

Cavalry Doc
07-02-2012, 09:23
In most states, EBT isn't just food stamps, they also have cash funds that replaced the monthly welfare checks which can be used just like a debit card, either at a store or ATM.

I don't think it's ethical to buy a pack of smokes with welfare, but it's entirely legal.

Below is a list of foods you can buy with your North Carolina EBT Card. SNAP provides a general food list that you can purchase with your Electronic Benefits Transfer debit card in North Carolina. If you have questions or issues about the food stamp program in North Carolina then contact your state run SNAP department. If you have an EBT Card in North Carolina and you are looking to find your balance online, North Carolina ebt card balance.
Eligible Foods You Can Buy With A EBT Card In North Carolina
- Fruits and vegetables
- Dairy products
- Cereals & Breads
- Plants or seeds that produce food to eat
- Meats, poultry and fish
Non Eligible EBT Benefits Household Food items
- Beer, wine, liquor
- Food that will be eaten in the store
- Cigarettes or tobacco
- Hot foods
- Vitamins and medicines
- Non foods like:
- Soaps and paper products
- Pet foods
- Household supplies

http://www.ebtcardbalance.com/buy-food-north-carolina-ebt-card-el27

If it's not a crime, it should be.

HarlDane
07-02-2012, 09:29
If it's not a crime, it should be.Cash aid would be TANF, not SNAP (food stamps). In NC, TANF is also distributed via EBT and can be used like cash with no restrictions. It's essentially a welfare check via debit card and can be used just like any other debit card either for direct purchases or at an ATM.

ETA, just to make it clear, I'm not defending the customer, only trying to point out that any attempt to limit the type of purchases that can be made is pointless when they can just go to an ATM and withdraw cash.

FuturePharmD
07-02-2012, 09:34
EBT in TN can not be used to buy cigarettes, alcohol, and hot food if I'm not mistaken.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NorthCarolinaLiberty
07-03-2012, 03:11
You're right. She should just document her disapproval, your orders, and publish it on the 6 o'clock news, which will report the DA is looking into getting a pretty indictment for you.

That would be a much happier outcome for all involved.

ETA: I gotta ask, how are you paying for your smokes?

I've never smoked, but don't know how that's relevant. Never heard of a pretty indictment or why one would be issued.

The story took place in New Hampshire, not North Carolina.

eracer
07-03-2012, 04:31
'Cause it free!

Chapter - It's Free Swipe Yo EBT (Clean) - YouTube

That was painful on so many levels.