My new WINTER TIME backup/ off duty gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My new WINTER TIME backup/ off duty gun

Narkcop
07-02-2012, 04:47
I can't seem to carry anything IWB in summer shorts but my LCP which is spot on RELIABLE. I think gold dots are about the best load available in .380 that is PD approved. BUT my latest purchase is a S&W 340 M&P for heavier clothing and ankle carry as a backup when working. It's a blaster with Federal 130 grain magnums but much milder with WWB 110 grains which are still about the same power as a 9mm from a duty weapon. I own 5 j frames & it's the only J frame I own with the internal lock.

bac1023
07-02-2012, 04:52
Congrats! :cool:

oily_oink
07-02-2012, 07:24
Nice choice!

smokin762
07-02-2012, 07:39
I can't seem to carry anything IWB in summer shorts but my LCP which is spot on RELIABLE. I think gold dots are about the best load available in .380 that is PD approved. BUT my latest purchase is a S&W 340 M&P for heavier clothing and ankle carry as a backup when working. It's a blaster with Federal 130 grain magnums but much milder with WWB 110 grains which are still about the same power as a 9mm from a duty weapon. I own 5 j frames & it's the only J frame I own with the internal lock.

Congrats on your purchase. :thumbsup:

Just out of Curiosity, does your 340M&P state on the right side of the barrel ďNO LESS THAN 120 GR BULLETĒ. My 340PD has this on the barrel.

I have read itís because of bullet pull from magnums. I carry my J-Frame with .38 SPL+P 135 gr. GDHP. Those darn magnums hurt too much for me. :embarassed:

fastbolt
07-02-2012, 10:09
Hey, congrats!

I also own a handful of J's (7), which includes a pair of M&P 340's. I used the excuse of S&W releasing the variation without the lock to justify buying a second one. :)

I work the rest of them into my retirement carry rotation upon occasion, and qual/practice with them, but it's the M&P 340's that see the bulk of my carry & range use nowadays. Oddly enough, it's my first one, the one with the lock, that sees the most use on & off the range. It exhibits the most visible wear, and all that shooting & dry-fire has resulted in a nicely smooth trigger.

I tried an assortment of Magnum loads through mine, finding some loads that exhibited bullet pull and some which didn't. The Federal 130gr Hydra-Shok Magnum is one of the ones that didn't exhibit bullet pull, in my gun, as well as the Rem 125gr SJHP and Win 145gr STHP.

I quickly decided to save the Magnum loads for occasional range use and carry the +P loads I use in my other +P capable J's, though.

The XS front sight & rear U-notch are pretty easy & fast to pick up, huh? My "soft 20/20" eyes (according to my optometrist) are able to pick up & align the XS front night sight much more quickly & clearly than the painted ramps of my other J's.

Enjoy. Great little wheelgun.

fastbolt
07-02-2012, 10:23
Just out of Curiosity, does your 340M&P state on the right side of the barrel “NO LESS THAN 120 GR BULLET”. My 340PD has this on the barrel.

The reason for the warning against using Magnum loads with bullet weights less than 120gr in the PD/Ti J's is due to the titanium cylinder. It's to help reduce the possibility of premature erosion of the titanium cylinder's face & charge hole throats (the nature of the gasses produced by the powders used in the lighter bullet weight loads). Probably page 12 of your safety manual.

The M&P 340/360's have blackened (PVD coated) stainless steel cylinders, which is also why they weigh a bit more than the PD's. The M&P's weigh just a bit less than the regular Airweights with steel cylinders due to their shrouded barrels and aluminum yokes.

WiskyT
07-02-2012, 17:54
A guy at my club had an M&P something. I don't remember exactly which model it was, but it looked like and felt like a 442. It had the stock Hogue Bantam grips on it. He had some Federal AE 158JSP rounds and they actually weren't that bad. It may be an underloaded round, but it wasn't punishing. It felt authoritative, but not painful. The point of impact was high with those rounds though due to the high amount of muzzle flip. They were about a foot high at 15 yards. It hit to point of aim with 38's though. His had actual real sights on it, not the usual ones. It had a decent size raised rear notch and a big dot type front sight.

I bet the Speer 357 135 SB load, or the Remington 125 GS medium velocity load would shoot well and you wouldn't have to aim for the belt buckle to get a COM hit.

fastbolt
07-02-2012, 18:09
Probably a M&P 340, if it looked like a 442.

Have you (or he) previously used to shooting with the XS or Ashley express dot sights?

The POI ought to be in the middle of the front sight (covered by the tritium capsule, so to speak) out to 15yds, and at the top edge of the front dot at 25yds & further.

My first M&P 340 shot POA/POI with some different Magnum loads & bullet weights, including some 158gr loads.

Of course, the heavier bullet weights produced some increased into-palm-of-the-hand, heavy torque-effect recoil force, which required a dedicated grip to keep the muzzle from rising too quickly. The lighter loads (125gr) had more muzzle blast, and some whip, but not the heavy "push & twist" often connected to heavier bullet weights (like 158gr).

Also, it can be easy to let the front dot start to unintentionally rise. Not quite as easy (to me) as letting the front ramp/post rise above the rear notch (to make it more easily distinguished from the rear, which isn't exactly uncommon to see among folks making aimed shots with J's) ... but it can still happen.

WiskyT
07-02-2012, 18:31
Probably a M&P 340, if it looked like a 442.

Have you (or he) previously used to shooting with the XS or Ashley express dot sights?

The POI ought to be in the middle of the front sight (covered by the tritium capsule, so to speak) out to 15yds, and at the top edge of the front dot at 25yds & further.

My first M&P 340 shot POA/POI with some different Magnum loads & bullet weights, including some 158gr loads.

Of course, the heavier bullet weights produced some increased into-palm-of-the-hand, heavy torque-effect recoil force, which required a dedicated grip to keep the muzzle from rising too quickly. The lighter loads (125gr) had more muzzle blast, and some whip, but not the heavy "push & twist" often connected to heavier bullet weights (like 158gr).

Also, it can be easy to let the front dot start to unintentionally rise. Not quite as easy (to me) as letting the front ramp/post rise above the rear notch (to make it more easily distinguished from the rear, which isn't exactly uncommon to see among folks making aimed shots with J's) ... but it can still happen.

I shot it with the top of the front sight level with the top of the rear sight, and with the top of the front sight on the bottom of the black. That's my go to hold for all pistols. The 38's printed right in the black and the 158 mags hit well above that. It was muzzle flip. I hold guns firmly, but not a real tight grip. I think with a guy with Frankenstein hands and rock crusher grip, it would have brought the POI down.

It shot tight groups which is what I have come to expect with J frames.

ETA: This might be a lower velocity load since it's promo ammo. We didn't clock the rounds, so I can't say for sure. Maybe another 200fps would have brought the POI down too. Also, the rear sight was a proper rear sight. It looked like something a custom shop would do, except it was integral with the top strap. He had just bought the gun and said it came from SW that way. Maybe it's a little too high since it is much higher than the typical Jframe groove and the front sight looked to be about the same height as the regular front blade.

Narkcop
07-03-2012, 04:10
My S&W 340 was shooting pretty close to point of aim with the 100 grain magnum rounds at arount 8-10 yards. Lots of power in a small package. I have to admit that yesterday I carried my Ruger LCR on my ankle though as it was again 100 degrees and I was outside a lot sweating in the sun.

smokin762
07-03-2012, 08:32
The reason for the warning against using Magnum loads with bullet weights less than 120gr in the PD/Ti J's is due to the titanium cylinder. It's to help reduce the possibility of premature erosion of the titanium cylinder's face & charge hole throats (the nature of the gasses produced by the powders used in the lighter bullet weight loads). Probably page 12 of your safety manual.

The M&P 340/360's have blackened (PVD coated) stainless steel cylinders, which is also why they weigh a bit more than the PD's. The M&P's weigh just a bit less than the regular Airweights with steel cylinders due to their shrouded barrels and aluminum yokes.

Thank you for the reply.

I didn’t get an owner’s manual with it. I bought it from an older guy used. It looked like brand new. The guy seemed to be slightly intimidated by the recoil and wanted something that was a little heavier.

WiskyT
07-03-2012, 14:40
Thank you for the reply.

I didnít get an ownerís manual with it. I bought it from an older guy used. It looked like brand new. The guy seemed to be slightly intimidated by the recoil and wanted something that was a little heavier.

SW will send you a manual for free or you can probably download it in PDF form.

smokin762
07-04-2012, 07:53
SW will send you a manual for free or you can probably download it in PDF form.

Thank you. :wavey:

WiskyT
07-04-2012, 08:33
Thank you. :wavey:

Use the gun in good health. If you're not practiced in DA shooting, work on it a bit. It's not hard to get much better with a Jframe than the average person thinks is possible. While 10 shots in the black at 25 yards is not necessarily crucial to defensive shooting, it can't hurt to be that good. I'm a pretty good shot, but not world class by any stretch. If 50 regular shooters are on a range, I'll be better than most of them, but there will be 2 or 3 that will be far and away better than me and they are what I consider to be truly "good" shooters. Keeping that in mind, I could keep 10 out of 10 on a paper plate at 25 yards shooting DA most of the time. We have a 14" gong at 70 yards and 4 out of 5 hits was routine with the occasional 5 out of 5 and of course the occasional Mulligan of 3 out of 5.

My point is, if I can do it, you can do it. When you hear the experts saying it's a "belly gun" and only good for 7 yards, just smile politely and run the target out to 25 and put a couple of cylinders into it:supergrin:

smokin762
07-04-2012, 09:22
Use the gun in good health. If you're not practiced in DA shooting, work on it a bit. It's not hard to get much better with a Jframe than the average person thinks is possible. While 10 shots in the black at 25 yards is not necessarily crucial to defensive shooting, it can't hurt to be that good. I'm a pretty good shot, but not world class by any stretch. If 50 regular shooters are on a range, I'll be better than most of them, but there will be 2 or 3 that will be far and away better than me and they are what I consider to be truly "good" shooters. Keeping that in mind, I could keep 10 out of 10 on a paper plate at 25 yards shooting DA most of the time. We have a 14" gong at 70 yards and 4 out of 5 hits was routine with the occasional 5 out of 5 and of course the occasional Mulligan of 3 out of 5.

My point is, if I can do it, you can do it. When you hear the experts saying it's a "belly gun" and only good for 7 yards, just smile politely and run the target out to 25 and put a couple of cylinders into it:supergrin:

I have owned J-Frames on and off for about 20 years now. I like Semi-auto’s but I enjoy a nice Revolver even more. My 340PD is my first .357 magnum in a J-Frame size .357 magnum. I have owned it for about 4 years now. It gets carried every day during the nice months and now, I am starting to carry it with my winter carry also. In Ohio with their Knife Laws, you would be better off just carrying a spare firearm.

Next, I want to get a 3” S&W model 60 but I may just buy a Ruger SP101 in a 3” barrel. I have no brand loyalty. Then, I’ll put an XS Big Dot front night sight on it and maybe carry that as a winter carry with my 340PD.

Since, I am just getting into reloading I will be reloading lots of lead bullets and will be practicing shooting at the metal reactive targets at my club. I can’t wait for this. :supergrin:

:wavey:

WiskyT
07-04-2012, 10:10
38/357 is a great round to reload for. Unique is a great powder for 38 or magnum loads with lead bullets. It's not the only good powder for it, but it is cheap and easy to find, and data is easy to find as well.

smokin762
07-04-2012, 19:04
I am going to reload .45 ACP first then start with .38/.357. So far, I just bought 300 Hornady XTP HP in 230 grain and 600 Lead 230 grain round nose.

For .38/.357 I bought 300 Hornady XTP HP 140 grain and 500 Lead 130 grain round nose.

I bought 1000 of each large and small CCI pistol Primers and 3 1lb. each of Accurate #5 and #7.

I have no idea what I am doing but I am going to give it a whirl. :supergrin:

WarEagle32
07-04-2012, 21:17
I don't have a j frame now. I need to get another one! Great guns!

Berto
07-04-2012, 22:53
Congrats on the new J frame, it's hard to beat for pocket carry.