Savage 410/.22LR rust issue - help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Savage 410/.22LR rust issue - help!

dajcarroll
07-02-2012, 07:27
My father has an old Savage 410/.22LR over-under that he used years ago... been in his closet for a long time. We took it out over the weekend, and the outside of both barrels is caked with rust. What can we do to fix this guy up? Is there a treatment at home we can do or should we take it somewhere to be professionally done? The gun means a lot to him, and I'd love to fix it for him. Anyone have any suggestions? I think he tried to sand all the rust off before, and use new blueing from Walmart, but the rust came back worse. Is there anything we can do?!

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

Before pics loaded below... bad shape I know.

OdinIII
07-02-2012, 07:40
If the rust is just on the outside then I'd take it apart, clean it, and paint the non moving parts flat black.

I actually prefer for my "working guns" to be painted. Then you only have to worry about rust on the inside.

OdinIII
07-02-2012, 07:44
You can pay to have all kinds of finishes applied to the rifle but frankly I doubt the rifle is worth enough to justify the cost. Also, any pitting is likely there forever whether it is refinished or not.

dajcarroll
07-02-2012, 08:24
You can pay to have all kinds of finishes applied to the rifle but frankly I doubt the rifle is worth enough to justify the cost. Also, any pitting is likely there forever whether it is refinished or not.

There's no pitting. Once sanded down it looks great. We re-blued it with cheap Wal-Mart stuff, but the rust came back... wasn't sure it there was a better way. Gun may not be worth fixing to some, but it's about 60 years old and was my father's first gun. Can't put a price on sentimental value.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga. 3"

OdinIII
07-02-2012, 09:48
If it is 60 years old then I would have different approach also.

One of the best home bluing kits is Oxpho-Blue. You can get it from Brownell's. I've never used it but I hear nothing that you can do at home will compare to a true hot-bluing job. I think that it would probably cost at least $200 to reblue your rifle.

How is the wood? It isn't for everyone but a nice flat black paint job can look very nice on a hunting rifle.

dajcarroll
07-02-2012, 10:09
If it is 60 years old then I would have different approach also.

One of the best home bluing kits is Oxpho-Blue. You can get it from Brownell's. I've never used it but I hear nothing that you can do at home will compare to a true hot-bluing job. I think that it would probably cost at least $200 to reblue your rifle.

How is the wood? It isn't for everyone but a nice flat black paint job can look very nice on a hunting rifle.

I think the wood is in good shape. I'm going back over there in a few hours. I'll snap a few pictures, and post them here. Paint may be the way to go.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga. 3"

dajcarroll
07-02-2012, 21:43
I brought it out tonight. These are before pics. I sanded the barrel down with brass brushes, and 0000 steel wool. Not quite finished, but it looks a lot better. Oiled her up for the night. Probably try to get as close to bare metal as I can. I ordered Brownell's Oxpho Blue, and will attempted to re-blue on my own I think. Has anyone ever used this product? Great reviews. Forum posting with Tapatalk is currently unavailable. Will post pics when I can.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 410/.22LR

Happypuppy
07-02-2012, 22:08
I had a savage 24 .22/410. That thing went with me everywhere. I can understand the attachment

RWBlue
07-02-2012, 23:22
duracoat

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 04:12
I had a savage 24 .22/410. That thing went with me everywhere. I can understand the attachment

My dad received it as a gift from his father when he turned 10 years old. He'll be 70 this December. It's pretty special. I hope I can restore it.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - 410/.22LR

Stevekozak
07-03-2012, 05:58
The gun means a lot to him, and I'd love to fix it for him. Anyone have any "
Doesnt mean that much, if he let it get in the condition you described. Kind of like saying your kid means a lot to you and then letting them play in a busy road.

Exagerrating of course. :wavey:

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 06:08
Doesnt mean that much, if he let it get in the condition you described. Kind of like saying your kid means a lot to you and then letting them play in a busy road.

He's also been disabled since 1992. Two heart transplants, two kidney transplants, finished radiation therapy for squamous cell skin cancer, and recently had his left eye removed. Let's just say maintaining a gun wasn't high on his priority list jackass.
Think before you speak. It will save you from looking like a dumbass.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - 410/.22LR

dnuggett
07-03-2012, 06:26
Yeah they rust easily. I love mine, great walk around the farm/ranch gun.

RWBlue
07-03-2012, 08:36
My dad received it as a gift from his father when he turned 10 years old. He'll be 70 this December. It's pretty special. I hope I can restore it.

I didn't understand the background.
Duracoat is for a work gun.
This gun has moved from a work gun to an heirloom.

Send it out to get professionally re-blued.

JLA
07-03-2012, 08:41
I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a gunsmith and have him give it a workover (getting rust off inside and out....reblueing ...making it look almost like new,etc). It will cost more than if you do it yourself but in the end it would be worth seeing the smile on his face :)

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 09:03
I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a gunsmith and have him give it a workover (getting rust off inside and out....reblueing ...making it look almost like new,etc). It will cost more than if you do it yourself but in the end it would be worth seeing the smile on his face :)

I didn't understand the background.
Duracoat is for a work gun.
This gun has moved from a work gun to an heirloom.

Send it out to get professionally re-blued.

No harm done. I would consider it an heirloom, however I don't want it to be a closet gun. I want to give it to my son when he's old enough to shoot. I've been doing the prep work myself, and I think I'm gonna try the Oxpho Blue from Brownell's. I bet he'd be just as happy if he knew I put the time and effort in to restore it instead of having someone else do it. If I'm not satisfied with my efforts I can always take it somewhere, and have it done by a gunsmith. Thanks to those who gave positive input.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

OdinIII
07-03-2012, 09:17
Good luck on the bluing job.

I hear that the prep work is the most important part. Take your time and follow the instructions perfectly and it should turn out good.

Jim Watson
07-03-2012, 09:36
My gunsmith has been doing some whole guns with Oxpho Blue and they look good. There is a procedure different from using it to touch up scratches if you are doing a whole gun or large parts. Brownells general bluing instructions are at
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-113%20Bluing%20Booklet.pdf

Go down about 3/4 of the way past the Oxynate 7 hot blue instructions to get to the Oxpho Blue methods.

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 09:41
Good luck on the bluing job.

I hear that the prep work is the most important part. Take your time and follow the instructions perfectly and it should turn out good.

Thanks. I've never done this before, but I'm going to do the best I can.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 09:44
My gunsmith has been doing some whole guns with Oxpho Blue and they look good. There is a procedure different from using it to touch up scratches if you are doing a whole gun or large parts. Brownells general bluing instructions are at
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-113%20Bluing%20Booklet.pdf

Go down about 3/4 of the way past the Oxynate 7 hot blue instructions to get to the Oxpho Blue methods.

Thank you sir! I will take a look at that. I watched a few videos online of someone re-blueing an entire gun with Oxpho Blue, and using a blow dryer to heat the gun up before applying the blue. His finished products turned out really well. I'm going to take a look at this link. Thank you.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

RWBlue
07-03-2012, 15:15
I have blued guns before. And although they are decent....it just doesn't look as good as a new gun which has been professionally blued.

Good luck

edcrosbys
07-03-2012, 18:56
I have a Savage 30-30/12g and the thing rusts if you look at it funny! When I was away from my firearms from some time, the only way I could keep it from rusting was coating it in Vaseline and wrapping it in t-shirts.

Good luck with the refinishing job! Post before and after pics, if you don't mind.

dajcarroll
07-03-2012, 21:04
I have a Savage 30-30/12g and the thing rusts if you look at it funny! When I was away from my firearms from some time, the only way I could keep it from rusting was coating it in Vaseline and wrapping it in t-shirts.

Good luck with the refinishing job! Post before and after pics, if you don't mind.

I have a few before pics I just posted at the top, some current I will add shortly, and I will take after pics. For some reason I can't upload pics from my phone right now. I will as soon as it lets me. I took all the blueing off of it with a chemical remover, and ran over it with some steel wool. I got in contact with a friend of my brother in law. He's a gunsmith. He said he could get the whole thing professionally done for about $50-60 dollars. I caved. Supposed to meet up with him this weekend. I'll keep you posted with this thread as I can. Thanks all.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

Wyoming
07-03-2012, 22:02
I brought it out tonight. These are before pics. I sanded the barrel down with brass brushes, and 0000 steel wool. Not quite finished, but it looks a lot better. Oiled her up for the night. Probably try to get as close to bare metal as I can. I ordered Brownell's Oxpho Blue, and will attempted to re-blue on my own I think. Has anyone ever used this product? Great reviews. Forum posting with Tapatalk is currently unavailable. Will post pics when I can.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 410/.22LR

Yes I have. It is good enough that I always keep some around. Remember it is a cold blue and will not equal a hot blue job. It is the easiest of the cold blue to use. You don't need to remove all the oil or rust. Actually blueing is a form of rust or oxidation. It is at it's best for small parts but if you can stain wood you can do bigger parts without streaking. If you get uneven coverage don't worry. Just buff with clean rag and keep adding additional coats. If you can bead blast the barrel you will get a nice flat black finish without much hassle.

The one thing I do is pour a little amount into a small container. When done I throw out. Keep your bottle clean and uncontaminated.

Another use is for touch up. It does not discolor the original blue like others cold blues. You can take 0000 steel wool and apply it over a fine blue finish and blend in.

If I had your Dad's Savage it would be an easy fix. It would look factory because of the pits but it would be functional and cost effective.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

dajcarroll
07-04-2012, 05:37
If I had your Dad's Savage it would be an easy fix. It would look factory because of the pits but it would be functional and cost effective.

Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks for the comment. After stripping with blue & rust remover, and then sanding it looks pretty good. There's actually no pitting that I can see. I've realized doing it myself is going to be a mistake. I'm going to have someone that knows what they are doing refinish it. I can't seem to post pics right now, but as soon as I can I'll post the pics of it stripped, and then the finished product once I get it back. Oh, and the rifle is actually mine now. After my dad saw me taking the time to work on it he said "I think it's about time you had that". Score. Can't wait to see his face when it's done.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

dajcarroll
07-06-2012, 20:06
All,
Received Brownell's Oxpho Blue in the mail today. Prep work was already done. All it took was a little degreasing, heat with a blow dryer, cotton balls, 00 steel wool, and the blue. Put on several coats... I think it looks really nice. It doesn't look like it's brand new, but looks good for a 60 year old rifle. I will try to post pics tomorrow once the blue has cured, and the gun is reassembled.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

OdinIII
07-06-2012, 21:41
Cool, I can't wait to see the pics. I'm glad you are happy with the results.

dajcarroll
07-07-2012, 19:54
I was finally able to finish this rifle. Below is a link to the album I made with pictures start to finish. I forgot to take a picture of the gun fully prepped and sanded, but I have one with partial prep work done. Once I put the rifle back together I realized I didn't touch the metal on the forestock. I think it looks neat like that. Thoughts? Thanks to all who replied. Let me know what you think!

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1609

Having never done this before, and the only education coming from a YouTube video and Oxpho Blue online instructions... I think this came out really nice. I would recommend Brownell's Oxpho Blue to anyone wanting to reblue their rifle, and not spend an arm and a leg to do so!

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1609&pictureid=5860

Wyoming
07-07-2012, 21:43
Looks good!:thumbsup:

As for missing the forearm part - ROOKIE! :tongueout:

No problem when you use Oxpho Blue. Just go back and do it.

Your wood looks good too. I don't think you had to refinish it? If you ever do refinish a wood stock don't sand off the old finish because if you do your wood to metal fit will suffer. Remove the old finish by stripping it. Steam out as many dents as you can and sand very carefull especially where metal meets wood. If you have no choice then sand wood and metal together. An example is to look at a Marlin leveraction where the metal tang and wood butt stock come together. That is how they get a perfect fit.

dajcarroll
07-07-2012, 22:21
Looks good!:thumbsup:

As for missing the forearm part - ROOKIE! :tongueout:

No problem when you use Oxpho Blue. Just go back and do it.

Your wood looks good too. I don't think you had to refinish it? If you ever do refinish a wood stock don't sand off the old finish because if you do your wood to metal fit will suffer. Remove the old finish by stripping it. Steam out as many dents as you can and sand very carefull especially where metal meets wood. If you have no choice then sand wood and metal together. An example is to look at a Marlin leveraction where the metal tang and wood butt stock come together. That is how they get a perfect fit.

Haha "rookie", I know right? I'm actually debating on leaving it... I think it's a neat accent, but I still have some blue left. I can fix it when I decide. I did not refinish the wood. It was in great shape. I cleaned it up with some Old English wood polish. Stuff is like magic. Thanks for the thumbs up. I can't wait to show my pop. I think he's gonna freak. I wonder what he'll think of the forestock/forearm? Ha.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dajcarroll
07-07-2012, 22:52
Okay fellas,
Here is a comparison side by side. I can't decide if I want to blue to metal piece on the forearm. Which one do you think looks better IYHO?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1609&pictureid=5863 - Googled

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1609&pictureid=5860 - Mine

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.

Wyoming
07-08-2012, 06:52
Speaking as a Dad from a Dad's point of veiw, it doesn't look like it used to. It is sort of unfinished.:whistling:

OdinIII
07-08-2012, 07:09
The rifle looks great!

I would vote for bluing the extra piece.

dajcarroll
07-08-2012, 17:02
Thanks for the input! I went ahead and blued the forearm piece. I liked it without the blue, but you are right. It looked unfinished. Even my dad said "Wow, looks great! Did you forget this piece?" Haha. Needless to say... I blued the piece this early this morning. Here is the final (final) product:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1609&pictureid=5866

KiltedSoule
07-08-2012, 19:35

My parents neighbors encourage the kids to play in the road, they don't seem to want to hurt their lawns...:rofl: