Hot 9x19 vs .357 Magnum Snub [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hot 9x19 vs .357 Magnum Snub

DirtyDan
07-02-2012, 13:00
Dear Mas,

How would the best +P and +P+ 9mm rounds out of say a Glock 19 or 17 compare with the best .357 Magnum rounds out of a 2" Snub Revolver not only for self-defense as well as a emergency survival/hunting weapon?

In regards to being a survival/hunting weapon... neither gun is of course really designed for such use in mind or by far an ideal choice, but it seems either is capable of accomplishing such unusual tasks if the shooter is as well.
I was reading an old article by Bart Skelton (May 2009 Guns and Ammo) which told the story of a friend (Police Officer Rudy Mauldin) who actually went hunting Black Bear in New Mexico with a S&W model 60! Bart thought he was joking at first and offered him his 44 Mag, but his friend declined choosing to stick with the 60 and did in fact bring back a 300 lb Blackie taken with one shot from the 60 and had supposedly done the same many times in the past. The late Stephen Camp also took Whitetail Deer with 9mm's http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/9mm%20vs%2045.htm

Thank you for your time,
Dan

Mas Ayoob
07-03-2012, 22:52
For the street, they'd be pretty close.

For the woods, it would depend on what you were shooting at. If I need to ruin a bruin, I'll take a heavy, deep-penetrating .44 Magnum bullet, thanks.

(Not your fault of course, but one of my pet peeves is folks asking "what 9mm should I use for Kodiak Bear?" It's kinda like asking, "What VW bug should I drive to win the Indy 500?")

Best.
Mas

DirtyDan
07-04-2012, 14:28
Mas,

Neither would be my first pick nor recommendations to anyone as a backwoods gun for Deer Hunting or for any Bear(although I guess the petite 60 is the go-to Black Bear hunting choice of the Officer in the story to my dismay). Not recommended, but obviously it can be done if one had to and my question was not one of seeking a literal recommendation, but more one of curiosity of theoretically using two odd choices for unorthodox use and just to gain perspective between the two.

"What VW bug should I drive to win the Indy 500?"
Herbie of course :supergrin:

Thanks and happy 4th,
Dan