Need to help a friend [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need to help a friend

FuturePharmD
07-02-2012, 13:18
Ok I have shot a wide variety of handguns in my life and I have picked my favorite and carry it every day. My buddy has graduated with me and his pharmacy allows him to carry as well so he is asking my help to decide. I love my 36 and find myself telling him about how great I think they are, but for everyday carry what other pistols in the 9mm or 40 that I should have him look into? He is an experienced shooter, but has never carried daily so just trying to make sure I don't make his decision for him.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

PLINKING.40
07-02-2012, 13:41
I am doing the same thing with a NOOBEE down the hall from me, But not for CCW, he wants a HD pistol for him and wiffy poo. the best way is to take him to a gun store range that rents pistols, and let him "fondle" the differnt models out there and shoot a few, tell him to look at the springer XD line, and the S&W M&P's also, if he is going to be CC behind the counter all day, "weight" has a lot to take to mind, and see if he will more comfortable with a exterior safety, like a 1911, or just a "de-cocker" like on a Sig or just the trigger safety that is on a Glock or the XD's with a grip safety like on a 1911..and the trigger safety. I would stick with a minumum of a 9mm, on up to the .40s&w or .45acp or .357 Sig.

GLOCK17DB9
07-02-2012, 13:42
I like the G36 but if you're looking to get him in a 9MM I really like the G19 for both conceal and accuracy plus the 9MM lets you practice cheaper.:supergrin:

countrygun
07-02-2012, 13:45
I think you are taking a wise path in garnering suggestions for him to choose from.

Just because he is new to carry I would rule out searching for some of the great used guns (S&W3913 comes to mind).I

The Glockers and grip safety haters will shout, but I think the Springfield XD/XDM compacts have a lot to offer. I am very happy with my full sized XDM .45 and have held the compacts. I am toying with the idea of a compact myself. In my opinion, given the job we are talking about he is a good candidate for more capacity than the new XDS.

I would not be able to answer and ignore two of my more often carried guns as well, the Sigpro 2022 and the CZ P-06 (.40 cal the 9mm is the P-01) I mention the "P" series CZ merely because of it's weight over the steel frame compact 75, that and a wonderfully ergonomic decocker.

When you look at the Sig, it looks a lot bigger than the CZs but that is an optical illusion due to the Sigs internal rals making the slide seem smaller , hence the whole pistol appears smaller.

IME out of the box, I would suggest the XD/XDM compact in 9mm or the CZ P-01 depending on which, Striker fired v hammer he prefers. The ergos of the CZ are so good they would convert most striker fans if they would try them. I would caution him ayy from the .40 in a compact gun on a 9mm frame. They are not as easy to shoot well as a 9mm on a 9mm frame.

FuturePharmD
07-02-2012, 15:06
Thanks to all for the suggestions, keep them coming.
I wear my 36 all day and have no problems with it, but he has shot a compact glock 40 and liked it so just trying to get a few more ideas before I make a recommendation.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine