Reducing Magazine Capacity? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reducing Magazine Capacity?

ALBin517
07-02-2012, 17:06
I intend to use my G20SF for deer hunting this fall. But the State of Michigan says that we "cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined." How can I reduce my mag capacity?

Breadman03
07-02-2012, 17:26
Funny! In PA, I could theoretically use a 300 round drum, as long as the gun was manually operated.

I don't know that it would be legal, but I would look into getting a spare mag with a plug epoxied into the mag body that reduced capacity to eight.

Jon_R
07-02-2012, 18:34
Does it have to be incapable of holding that many or can you just download them meaning if someone inspects you don't exceed the max rounds you are ok?

To me
"cannot exceed a maximum capacity of nine rounds in the barrel and magazine combined."

Load 9 in the mag rack the slide and you are okay.

I am not saying that is okay for MI law just asking.

CitizenOfDreams
07-02-2012, 19:56
I'm sure the law implies that the magazine should not be able to hold more than N rounds physically (otherwise, how can you prove you didn't have more than N rounds in it while hunting?). What I personally would do is fabricate a plastic insert between the magazine bottom plate and the spring.

More important question is, would a self-modified magazine be acceptable, or does it have to have limited capacity from the factory? I think you should consult with your state's hunting authority.

Opie 1 Kenopie
07-02-2012, 21:51
Wait... I thought only California had stupid laws that were impossible to comply with!

Sine Ted Nugent is from Michigan, and carries (carried) a G20, and he seems to occasionally enjoy hunting (:)) I'd bet he has a method to fix the mag capacity of his G20 mags.

dm1906
07-02-2012, 22:15
Don't complicate it! Living/hunting in CA, I have to jump through the hoops to stay legal, too. All too often, I'm afraid.

Insert a length of vinyl hose between the follower and floor plate. The hose won't interfere with the spring, and won't rattle. Use a size that will fit snug inside the spring. If you use a 10 round mag, the length is much shorter, and less likely to cause issues. Like shotgun plugs, the legal descriptions only require the "plug" require disassembly to defeat. I use vinyl hose with wood dowel inserts to fab shotgun plugs on older shotguns (out of production OEM plugs).

The reason I suggest the 10 round mag is the design. The rounds occupy the same length in the mag, compared to 15 round'ers, but have "rails" stamped into the steel, narrowing the stack. This would require less interference to accomplish the 8 round requirement, about 1/2.

Another option would be to stack up some sub-floor plates. They are cheap, and install under the spring, which means no problem with parts bouncing around inside. It will also allow for full spring pressure from first to last. Add to that, it wouldn't really be "modified", since all the parts are OEM, and unmolested, if that question ever comes up.