Police officer accidentally shoots himself in stomach [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Police officer accidentally shoots himself in stomach

jdavionic
07-02-2012, 17:18
For those of us who carry and handle guns on a daily basis, just a reminder...remember the basic rules. If you never point the gun at something you don't intend to shoot...keep your finger off the trigger..., these accidents cannot happen.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120626/METRO02/206260430/1361/Sylvan-Lake-officer-recovering-after-accidentally-shooting-himself

Deaf Smith
07-02-2012, 17:25
Seems the dept. has full-time officers, including the chief; five part-time officers and 15 reserve officers.

There is a hint there...

What was he doing, looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded and scratching his navel with the muzzle?

Deaf

Billua
07-02-2012, 17:54
http://www.theandygriffithshow.net/images/Barney-Fife_bw.jpg

Misty02
07-03-2012, 05:28
Seems the dept. has full-time officers, including the chief; five part-time officers and 15 reserve officers.

There is a hint there...

What was he doing, looking down the barrel to see if it was loaded and scratching his navel with the muzzle?

Deaf

Iím trying to visualize it and canít picture it either. What can you possibly be checking with the muzzle aimed at your stomach? I guess he had a full grip, finger on the trigger and muzzle aimed at the stomach? That is a very awkward position for the wrist.

series1811
07-03-2012, 05:42
For those of us who carry and handle guns on a daily basis, just a reminder...remember the basic rules. If you never point the gun at something you don't intend to shoot...keep your finger off the trigger..., these accidents cannot happen.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120626/METRO02/206260430/1361/Sylvan-Lake-officer-recovering-after-accidentally-shooting-himself

Actually, handling guns on a daily basis, can be one of the most dangerous things to do as far as forgetting to respect them.

jph02
07-03-2012, 06:04

There is a hint there...

Deaf
There's a conspiracy of silence here:
"no information was available"...
Chief "had a scheduled day off Tuesday"...
City Manager "did not return telephone calls."

And there's no update that I found on the web, so still no identity or more details.

Here's the real hint, though: "accidentally shooting himself in the stomach while checking his departmental handgun." Reserves provide their own weapon, so the officer was one of the certified police officers. :tongueout:

SCmasterblaster
07-03-2012, 07:50
"when it went off" makes it sound as if the firearm magically discharged itself. Let's not forget that the gun went off because someone pulled the trigger. I'll bet that it was a Glock.

ranger1968
07-03-2012, 07:53
I wonder if open carry would have prevented this?:whistling:

zbusdriver
07-03-2012, 08:01
I wonder if open carry would have prevented this?:whistling::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Billua
07-03-2012, 08:36
It must not have been a 10mm otherwise he would have been blown into two pieces and his house would have been leveled!

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

MississipVol
07-03-2012, 08:38
Iím trying to visualize it and canít picture it either. What can you possibly be checking with the muzzle aimed at your stomach? I guess he had a full grip, finger on the trigger and muzzle aimed at the stomach? That is a very awkward position for the wrist.

The article said it was a minor wound. My guess is he thought he had it pointed downward and was going to try and check the chamber but carelessness and a big protruding belly got in the way!

jdavionic
07-03-2012, 18:01
Actually, handling guns on a daily basis, can be one of the most dangerous things to do as far as forgetting to respect them.

Agreed. People just get complacent. I have a good friend, who is an older gentleman. He's got so many firearms that he's lost count (collector). He's been carrying longer than anyone that I know.

He went down to the garage to clean his carry gun, and then bang...he accidentally shot himself in the hand. After several surgeries on his hand, he still doesn't have all mobility back. However he is able to do what he loves...shoot.

Many people read these stories and conclude 'what an idiot' or something of the like. If posting accidents helps remind them of the rules and they never have an accident, I'm fine with that. However...me, I think it can happen to the best of us.

Who knows how this guy shot himself in the stomach? Perhaps the gun was falling and he caught & got a finger on the trigger.

Misty02
07-04-2012, 05:39

Agreed. People just get complacent. I have a good friend, who is an older gentleman. He's got so many firearms that he's lost count (collector). He's been carrying longer than anyone that I know.

He went down to the garage to clean his carry gun, and then bang...he accidentally shot himself in the hand. After several surgeries on his hand, he still doesn't have all mobility back. However he is able to do what he loves...shoot.

Many people read these stories and conclude 'what an idiot' or something of the like. If posting accidents helps remind them of the rules and they never have an accident, I'm fine with that. However...me, I think it can happen to the best of us.

Who knows how this guy shot himself in the stomach? Perhaps the gun was falling and he caught & got a finger on the trigger.

I agree with you both. I also pray I never reach that level of confidence some seem to have that I stop all my ďridiculousĒ precautions to prevent an unintended occurrence.

steveksux
07-04-2012, 07:40
I vote for press check that went awry.

Thanks God it sounds like a minor wound. Glad its only his pride that was damaged severely.

Randy

Danl Boone
07-04-2012, 09:35
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Me too!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

steveksux
07-04-2012, 10:07
Perhaps the gun was falling and he caught & got a finger on the trigger.Yup, trying to catch it. Another likely contender for how it happened.

I think that theory is more likely than mine, actually.

Randy

J_P
07-04-2012, 10:08

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

TDC20
07-04-2012, 10:17
Thanks for this post jdavionic. I've been criticized for treating safe handling rules as "religious dogma", but that will never deter me. I have a brother and friend who are both alive today because rule #1 was followed and an ND didn't kill either one (it was a negligent discharge because several other safety rules were NOT followed). Complacency is the enemy of safe firearms handling. Don't think it can't happen to you, or it surely will eventually.

Never let the muzzle point in a direction of anything you don't intend to shoot...EVER. But especially when the action is closed (could be loaded, maybe not?), you are clearing the weapon, you are loading the weapon (chambering a round), you are engaging or disengaging a safety, or you are handling a known loaded weapon in any manner. I never tolerate muzzle sweeping from another firearms handler. If they refuse to comply with the #1 safety rule, I'll leave while I still can. Everything else can go wrong, either by accident or negligence, or mechanical malfunction, but if rule #1 is followed, it should only involve a change of pants and a hearing aid later in life.

It's a very fine line between paranoia and healthy respect for firearms. I've gotten to the point when I chamber a round in my carry gun in the house, I'm thinking, if it discharges, where will the ricochet go off the concrete? Or where should I be pointing to minimize how much work it will take to patch the hole?

oily_oink
07-04-2012, 10:37
15 reserve officers.

I wonder? :whistling:

Deaf Smith
07-04-2012, 17:18
The article said it was a minor wound. My guess is he thought he had it pointed downward and was going to try and check the chamber but carelessness and a big protruding belly got in the way!

Might be right there! And I bet he thought it was 'unloaded' and to dissemble a Glock you have to, yep, pull the trigger.

Deaf

jph02
07-04-2012, 19:44
15 reserve officers.

I wonder? :whistling:

Nope. Not a reserve. The newspaper article said it was a departmental gun; reserves buy and carry their own.

Deaf Smith
07-04-2012, 20:39
Well keep in mind there are only THREE full time officers. Guess it was one of them.

Deaf

JuneyBooney
07-04-2012, 22:18

That was why Barney carried his bullet in his pocket. :whistling: I have heard of stories like this happening to the best of us when we get careless or tired. Glad he will be ok.

ScottieG59
07-05-2012, 01:39
Maybe he always held the weapon that way, but over the years, his belly gradually moved out until it got in the way.

Anyway, we all need to be reminded of complacency. It happens when we drive cars, cross the street and handle firearms.

quadraceryfz450
07-05-2012, 08:33
I wonder if open carry would have prevented this?:whistling:

Maybe, carrying C3 would have.:whistling:

Cavalry Doc
07-05-2012, 16:39
There's a conspiracy of silence here:
"no information was available"...
Chief "had a scheduled day off Tuesday"...
City Manager "did not return telephone calls."

And there's no update that I found on the web, so still no identity or more details.

Here's the real hint, though: "accidentally shooting himself in the stomach while checking his departmental handgun." Reserves provide their own weapon, so the officer was one of the certified police officers. :tongueout:

Kind of makes you wonder if it was an attempted suicide with a sudden change of heart.....

Stevekozak
07-05-2012, 16:49
Maybe he always held the weapon that way, but over the years, his belly gradually moved out until it got in the way.

There is nothing funny about anyone shooting themselves, but I did get a good laugh at picturing this idea!! :rofl:

Deaf Smith
07-05-2012, 18:01
Maybe, carrying C3 would have.:whistling:

I wonder if a revolver would have prevented this.. or just a rubber gun.

Deaf

pistolcompetitor
07-07-2012, 07:43
Since we are speculating, just want to point out that when the press says "stomach" we don't know if there's an entry wound or both an entry and exit, and which one they're talking about. Stomach can also mean "high pelvis" or "really low in the chest".

As an aside I love it when I read articles when the press talks about pistol clips...

Deaf Smith
07-07-2012, 17:35
Since we are speculating, just want to point out that when the press says "stomach" we don't know if there's an entry wound or both an entry and exit, and which one they're talking about. Stomach can also mean "high pelvis" or "really low in the chest".

As an aside I love it when I read articles when the press talks about pistol clips...

And automatic revolvers.... And I love the 90mm handguns.

So yes, we do not know exactly where the wound was.

Deaf

SCmasterblaster
07-09-2012, 07:23
I have been handling my loaded G17 since 1989. 23 years, no accidents.

Cavalry Doc
07-10-2012, 04:29
Any updates? Still suspiscon's that this was an attempted suicide with a sudden change of heart.

Gunnut 45/454
07-10-2012, 20:46
Well I would hope when he recovers he'll get tons on gun safety training. Cause he obviously skip all the required courses when becoming a cop. Maybe a year of safety classes would work.:whistling:

Arc Angel
07-10-2012, 21:48

Yup! This is one of my greatest worries. I remind myself of it several times a day. Never, ever, take any firearm for granted; and this goes double for pistols with trigger safety levers, pretensioned strikers, and no manually-indexed external safety.

I vote for press check that went awry. Thanks God it sounds like a minor wound. Glad its only his pride that was damaged severely.

Maybe. Then again, perhaps, he was just playing with his really neat gun! (People do things like that.) ;)

....... As an aside I love it when I read articles when the press talks about pistol clips ...

NOT your fault; and I'm no fan of the organized news media, either; but, magazines are clips! It's only on internet gun forums (Where all the cool guys hang out.) that the subtle distinctions between clips and magazines are constantly shoved down everyone's throat. Don't believe me? Check with the NRA/ILA. They argue these things in court; and according to published ILA firearm definitions ....... 'Clip' and, 'magazine' are both historically and technically correct synonyms for each other.

I don't know about other instructors; but, anytime I have to explain the differences between a certain clip, and a certain magazine to someone I know I'm dealing with a neophyte. If a person knows guns then the intrinsic differences should be obvious; and it's neither necessary, nor fair, for some internet gun forum hero to jump on people by calling minor differences out. (Please don't take these remarks personally. I'm talking to, and not about, you - OK.) :)

Before the Internet came along I spent the first 40 years of my life referring to all magazines as clips. Everybody always knew exactly what I meant; and I understood what other shooters meant, too, when they used the word, 'clip'. Nowadays I really get sick and tired of the constant internet flap over clips and magazines. Are there differences? Yes. Do these differences need to be constantly called out? No, not if someone really knows what he's doing with guns.

Anytime someone acts as if he's better or smarter than the other guy because he's keenly - almost painfully - aware of the subtle differences between clips and magazines that person is slinging just so much cyberspace bull hooey. American soldiers fought two world wars, and more than a half dozen major conflicts while referring to magazines as clips. This has never been a problem on the battlefield; and it shouldn't be a problem on the Internet, either. As for what the organized news media thinks or does? Who cares! Those people earn their comfortable livelihoods as smiling, unctuous, professional liars; and even a professional liar can occasionally get one right. :freak: