Soldier Training with Gun Causes Alarm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Training with Gun Causes Alarm

jph02
07-02-2012, 17:43
Haven't seen this one posted yet...

Soldier training with gun causes alarm (http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/news/x2102589985/Soldier-training-with-gun-causes-alarm)

Sure glad the sky isn't falling. Makes me wonder, though: how do you train with a "non-firing rifle"? :shakehead:

janice6
07-02-2012, 17:45

Soldier training with gun causes alarm (http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/news/x2102589985/Soldier-training-with-gun-causes-alarm)

Sure glad the sky isn't falling. Makes me wonder, though: how do you train with a "non-firing rifle"? :shakehead:

Tentatively.

John Rambo
07-02-2012, 18:42

Parade rifle would be my guess. Practicing armed drill, possibly exhibition. Maybe he was in a color guard? I'm thinking of Dummy M1 Garand rather than Dummy M4?

When I was in highschool they suspended an ROTC kid for having a 'Candy Cane' (think of a parade rifle, but not actually a rifle) in their vehicle. The world is a sad, spineless place.

DrewF86
07-02-2012, 18:48
We have full size rubber training rifles that look pretty realistic from a distance. He could have been carrying one of this and spooked someone. Why he would be carrying one on a Saturday morning, by himself is a whole different matter.

Sheepdog Scout
07-02-2012, 22:43
We have full size rubber training rifles that look pretty realistic from a distance. He could have been carrying one of this and spooked someone. Why he would be carrying one on a Saturday morning, by himself is a whole different matter.

That's what I was thinking. I'd imagine it could have been an old rubber ducky. :wow::yawn::supergrin:

Misty02
07-03-2012, 05:37
They don’t mention if he was carrying a back-pack also. Could he have been training on carrying the weight and maneuvering with some realistic looking items?

bigmac85
07-03-2012, 06:14
Why he would be carrying one on a Saturday morning, by himself is a whole different matter.

My guess is he mught have been training or conditioning for a ruck march. It didnt mention if he had a pack or other gear though.
Folks used to do that at ft. Gordan to condition their feet.

DrewF86
07-03-2012, 08:51
My guess is he mught have been training or conditioning for a ruck march. It didnt mention if he had a pack or other gear though.
Folks used to do that at ft. Gordan to condition their feet.

I would bet you're right and he was out rucking. It just seems weird that he would be carrying a rubber ducky by himself. Probably didn't think about how he would look to cars driving by. Still, nothing to get all worked up about.

ScottieG59
07-03-2012, 09:21
It seems a bit dumb. There is nothing over the bridge that is within walking distance on the Missouri side of the Centennial Bridge, except a gas station.

A soldier by himself, off post, with an apparent rifle would be unexpected. There is no need for someone to train realistically off post.

Such an event would be highly reportable and a response would be necessary. Even groups of soldiers off post with weapons might be unexpected. On post, you will encounter soldiers with weapons as one should expect.

If I had to guess, I would expect this to be one of the National Guard guys and/or someone who is on the overweight (aka fatboy) program.

jph02
07-03-2012, 19:27
...If I had to guess, I would expect this to be one of the National Guard guys...
There is no need to dis Guardsmen. We are just as professional and busy as our active component brethren. On top of that, we also have civilian careers and take care of our own residences and health care.

ScottieG59
07-04-2012, 10:02
There is no need to dis Guardsmen. We are just as professional and busy as our active component brethren. On top of that, we also have civilian careers and take care of our own residences and health care.

Actually, I did not intend to speak badly of the National Guard. It was that I figured the gate security on Fort Leavenworth would likely challenge a soldier walking off post appearing to have a weapon. The National Guard location is more open and easier to leave unchallenged.