Georgia Aquarium [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Aquarium

collim1
07-02-2012, 18:18
Wy wife and I will be taking a trip to the GA Aquarium in a few weeks. We are staying 6 blocks from the aquarium and planning on walking after dark. I would feel alot better with my 442 in my pocket while walking downtown at night.

Is there any reason I cant carry in the aquarium? Metal detectors?

Legally I can carry in GA, so the aquarium's policies are the only in question.

Southswede
07-02-2012, 18:55
Wy wife and I will be taking a trip to the GA Aquarium in a few weeks. We are staying 6 blocks from the aquarium and planning on walking after dark. I would feel alot better with my 442 in my pocket while walking downtown at night.

Is there any reason I cant carry in the aquarium? Metal detectors?

Legally I can carry in GA, so the aquarium's policies are the only in question.

If you are talking about the one in Atlanta, you are screwed. They would not let me in in spite of federal LE creds......

collim1
07-02-2012, 19:12
If you are talking about the one in Atlanta, you are screwed. They would not let me in in spite of federal LE creds......

Really? I would be carrying under LEOSA, I am a patrol officer. Do they pat you down? Metal detector? or what?

I am talking about pocket carrying a jframe, it will be discreet carry, so I am curious as to how I will ousted.

concretefuzzynuts
07-02-2012, 19:13
I guess the tanks aren't bullet proof.

JAS104
07-02-2012, 19:18
Figure they would be with how thick they are. But hey... Seen the family guy where Peter puts that big dumb guy smile on the octopus? Lol

-J

collim1
07-02-2012, 19:36
I guess the tanks aren't bullet proof.

I am worried very little bout inside the aquarium, its the 6 blocks through downtown after dark I am worried about.

Southswede
07-02-2012, 19:52
Really? I would be carrying under LEOSA, I am a patrol officer. Do they pat you down? Metal detector? or what?

I am talking about pocket carrying a jframe, it will be discreet carry, so I am curious as to how I will ousted.

Metal detectors. You had to buy tickets then go through the detectors, that I had not seen. I was told I could not enter-period, without leaving my gun in the car. I asked for a refund. They refused. I asked for a supervisor and advised they needed to refund my money of allow me to enter. It took almost 10 minutes before the manager finally gave me my money back.

I got the same treatment next door at the world of coke.....I ended up going to Stone Mountain for the day.

steveksux
07-02-2012, 20:44
Metal detectors. You had to buy tickets then go through the detectors, that I had not seen. I was told I could not enter-period, without leaving my gun in the car. I asked for a refund. They refused. I asked for a supervisor and advised they needed to refund my money of allow me to enter. It took almost 10 minutes before the manager finally gave me my money back.

I got the same treatment next door at the world of coke.....I ended up going to Stone Mountain for the day.
That's just bizarre... I could understand not allowing spear guns.. :supergrin:

Seriously though, anyone from ATL here? Do they prohibit local off duty cops also, or just out of staters?

Randy

sappy13
07-02-2012, 21:53
i went there just the other day. I had just purchased tickets and hopped in line with my gf. Bout a minute later i had that oh **** moment and had to tell her id be back in a couple of minutes. I knew legally it would be perfectly fine to carry there, but had no idea there would be people wanding us down before entering.

rmodel65
07-02-2012, 23:29
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=71693&hilit=aquarium

post from June \/
I went there on sunday 6/17. They were wanding and using metal detectors, there was no getting through here with a self defense weapon unless it was on your ankle, FYI.

cowboywannabe
07-03-2012, 01:50
they wont even let Georgia LEOs carry in there, they wont let you use a locker to secure your gun, they use metal detector wands to check you.

cowboywannabe
07-03-2012, 01:51
http://georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=71693&hilit=aquarium

post from June \/

you had to let the secret out didncha?

collim1
07-03-2012, 06:50
Well crap, I am not thrilled about walking back after dark without my carry gun.

Since we are not planning on driving it wont be worth it to chance it, and have to walk 6 blocks back to the hotel, and then 6 blocks back to the aquarium.

concretefuzzynuts
07-03-2012, 07:12
Catch a cab.

Psychman
07-03-2012, 08:21
Well, I was there about a year ago. I saw some wanding being done, but not everybody was being wanded. I was carrying and was not wanded, so I was armed inside of the facility. Not one fish or sea going creature was harmed in the process.

coachrowsey
07-03-2012, 09:08
Well crap, I am not thrilled about walking back after dark without my carry gun.

Since we are not planning on driving it wont be worth it to chance it, and have to walk 6 blocks back to the hotel, and then 6 blocks back to the aquarium.

If I were you I'd just say screw them & I would let them know why.

collim1
07-03-2012, 10:19
If I were you I'd just say screw them & I would let them know why.

I would but this trip is for our anniversary and wife's B-day, so its her call, not mine.

I am tempted to wear a huge metal belt buckle and conceal the gun in a smartcarry or something similar. Hopefully they would wand the buckle and ignore it. Then I could switch to pocket carry once inside.

Like I said its the walk to the aquarium that concerns me, not once inside.

coachrowsey
07-03-2012, 10:40
I would but this trip is for our anniversary and wife's B-day, so its her call, not mine.

Congrats & happy b.day to your wife. And boy do I understand "it's her call" after having been married 36 years.

rmodel65
07-03-2012, 11:46
we have a couple in our church just recently celebrated their 70th wedding annv

LoadToadBoss
07-03-2012, 12:54
Mrs. LTB and I were there a couple years ago on our way back to Louisiana from South Carolina. We parked several blocks away and I carried my PF-9 IWB under a loose-fitting shirt. We bought the tickets and I didn't see a sign until just before going through the metal detectors. I thought I would be toast, but the metal detector did not alert on me. The staff searched Mrs. LTB's purse, but we went right on through. They really need to put those signs at the ticketing windows and not just on the entry doors. By then, it's almost too late.

rmodel65
07-03-2012, 14:42
from what ive read they dont have the metal detectors on...they just wand at random and search all bags/purses

sappy13
07-06-2012, 20:00
They wanded everyone when I went. Pretty sure a smart carry would get it through no problem, just blame the belt buckle. I had a price of foil gumwrapper in my pocket set it off.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

rmodel65
07-06-2012, 22:47
did they go down to your ankle??

bub
07-08-2012, 22:06
My wife, daughters and I were there a couple of weeks ago and they wanded EVERYONE, as well as checking ALL bags! I was pocket carrying my LCP and didn't see them wanding when we got in line to get tickets. We hadn't gotten tickets yet, I didn't want to get into it with my wife on vacation, and I didn't feel like trying to talk to them about my LEO ID, so we got back out of line, I walked back to our van and got rid of the LCP and my pocket knife. They seemed to be getting pretty thorough with the wand (or at least the woman wanding me, did), having me put my arms out and spread my legs so that she could wand up the insides of my legs, my waistband and in my armpits. They said something about the flashlight in my pocket, then reluctantly let me in when I showed them it was only a flashlight. My advice, don't try to carry there, not worth the hassle, especially if your wife really wants to go.

bub

Mr. Blandings
07-09-2012, 04:53
Catch a cab.Sounds like the best solution to the situation.

IGotIt
07-09-2012, 05:08
Wear a cowboy hat and secure the gun inside with velcro.

Lior
07-09-2012, 05:53
It is sad that crime tempts corporations to adopt un-American behavior (e.g. subjecting clients to unreasonable searches, prohibiting the bearing of arms).

Mayhem like Me
07-09-2012, 09:02
That's just bizarre... I could understand not allowing spear guns.. :supergrin:

Seriously though, anyone from ATL here? Do they prohibit local off duty cops also, or just out of staters?

Randy

Yes they prohibit ALL firearms at both places.. I did get in World of Coke...

I carry in CNN but to go on the studio tour they checked my off duty in the security office.

collim1
07-09-2012, 17:02
My wife, daughters and I were there a couple of weeks ago and they wanded EVERYONE, as well as checking ALL bags! I was pocket carrying my LCP and didn't see them wanding when we got in line to get tickets. We hadn't gotten tickets yet, I didn't want to get into it with my wife on vacation, and I didn't feel like trying to talk to them about my LEO ID, so we got back out of line, I walked back to our van and got rid of the LCP and my pocket knife. They seemed to be getting pretty thorough with the wand (or at least the woman wanding me, did), having me put my arms out and spread my legs so that she could wand up the insides of my legs, my waistband and in my armpits. They said something about the flashlight in my pocket, then reluctantly let me in when I showed them it was only a flashlight. My advice, don't try to carry there, not worth the hassle, especially if your wife really wants to go.

bub

Thanks Bub, I think that settles it. Just have to leave it.