First Time to Carry! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Time to Carry!

MississipVol
07-02-2012, 22:42
I received my cc permit over the weekend and received my holster from holsterpro.com today! Here is a picture of the holster with my LC9 (with laser):

http://i42.servimg.com/u/f42/17/62/40/12/lc9_ho10.jpg

It is a handmade Model 3 pocket holster I bought for only $25. It may not have the perfect stitching of some of the more expensive holsters but seems well made and fits my LC9 perfectly.

I have been holstering/reholstering to try and break it in and took it out for the first time tonight for an 11 pm visit to Wally World. I must admit - it DID make me pretty anxious when I placed it in my pocket being that it had one loaded in the chamber! I did this in the car prior to going in. Once I was walking around I felt fine.

I had a pair of jeans on with bigger pockets and the gun had plenty of room and my wife said you couldn't tell what it was at all. Hopefully, I will get used to carry as time goes on but, I must admit, I did feel a greater sense of security knowing I had the means to protect myself had a 'crazy' approached in the parking lot!

I may be looking at a Crossbreed Minituck pretty soon as well so I can carry IWB as another option if needed.

brausso
07-02-2012, 22:58
...strange post

Aside from that, there looks to be an awfully large gap between the holster and empty pace in the trigger guard. It may just be the angle of the picture, but I personally wouldn't carry with something like that. Just my .02

rilkil23
07-02-2012, 23:02
I dig my lc9. It looks like the safety is engaged in the picture. I carry mine in a smart carry, round in the chamber, and the safety engaged. Congratulations.

MississipVol
07-02-2012, 23:03
...strange post

Aside from that, there looks to be an awfully large gap between the holster and empty pace in the trigger guard. It may just be the angle of the picture, but I personally wouldn't carry with something like that. Just my .02

What makes this such a strange post? You just trying to be a message board "tough guy"? Just curious.

I see others posting about their first time carry experience all the time on different message boards. This IS, after all, a carry forum.

MississipVol
07-02-2012, 23:13
I dig my lc9. It looks like the safety is engaged in the picture. I carry mine in a smart carry, round in the chamber, and the safety engaged. Congratulations.

Yeah, that is how I plan to carry mine as well - round chambered, safety engaged. I've heard good things about the smart carry as well so I may check it out too. Thanks!

alwaysshootin
07-03-2012, 04:58
The price is certainly nice for that holster, and, there is nothing odd, whatsoever, about your post. To be honest, don't even have a problem with the opening at the trigger, as long as the trigger isn't exposed. I have to ask though, is there something to that holster, that helps keep it in your pocket when you draw your weapon?

Stevekozak
07-03-2012, 05:27
Good on ya for starting to carry! Holster looks fine to me. I don't see anything strange at all about your post. I am curious why Brasso does. Maybe he will tell us.

Sheepdog Scout
07-03-2012, 06:25
Welcome to the club my friend.

AquaHull
07-03-2012, 06:27
Good deal getting your carry permit. Don't worry about the stitching, it's in your pocket anyways most of the time.

Ducowti
07-03-2012, 06:41
Now what? Now you go practice, become proficient in the use and handling of your weapon (which you should be already), become intimately versed in your state's deadly force laws and application thereof, and realize carrying does not make you 10ft tall and bulletproof.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MississipVol
07-03-2012, 06:50
The price is certainly nice for that holster, and, there is nothing odd, whatsoever, about your post. To be honest, don't even have a problem with the opening at the trigger, as long as the trigger isn't exposed. I have to ask though, is there something to that holster, that helps keep it in your pocket when you draw your weapon?

Yes, the trigger is definitely not exposed and is about 1/2 in" inside the holster. I think one of the reasons he designed it that way is so it will draw more easily from the holster. It sits nicely inside but I can pretty easily draw it out by keeping my thumb or forefinger on the holster itself. However, I definitely need some more practice and plan to take it to the range for some practicing once its a little more broken in.

redbaron007
07-03-2012, 07:10
Now what? Now you go practice, become proficient in the use and handling of your weapon (which you should be already), become intimately versed in your state's deadly force laws and application thereof, and realize carrying does not make you 10ft tall and bulletproof.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WELCOME to CCW!! :thumbsup:

As to what Ducowti stated.....great advice. I echo the education aspect of your state's CCW laws, as well as Stand Your Ground/Defense laws. Learn'm! :supergrin:

Then practice drawing your firearm from your carry position.

:wavey:

red

alwaysshootin
07-03-2012, 07:22
Yes, the trigger is definitely not exposed and is about 1/2 in" inside the holster. I think one of the reasons he designed it that way is so it will draw more easily from the holster. It sits nicely inside but I can pretty easily draw it out by keeping my thumb or forefinger on the holster itself. However, I definitely need some more practice and plan to take it to the range for some practicing once its a little more broken in.

That is the reason I asked, most holster have something in the design, to keep the holster in the pocket. Either a wing at the bottom that is designed to hook, or catch, on the pocket upon drawing the weapon. I have a Kramer, for a 642, that has a large lip at the top of the opening that works very well. Just keep practicing your draw, guess you will do fine. I just prefer not having to make extra moves to assure clean draw.

CDR_Glock
07-03-2012, 07:33
Congratulations.

Practice drawing with your set up and get well versed in shooting strong/weak handed.

Read In the Gravest Extreme and Self Defense Laws of the 50 States.

Green_Manelishi
07-03-2012, 15:35
I have been holstering/reholstering to try and break it in and took it out for the first time tonight for an 11 pm visit to Wally World. I must admit - it DID make me pretty anxious when I placed it in my pocket being that it had one loaded in the chamber! I did this in the car prior to going in. Once I was walking around I felt fine.

I had a pair of jeans on with bigger pockets and the gun had plenty of room and my wife said you couldn't tell what it was at all. Hopefully, I will get used to carry as time goes on but, I must admit, I did feel a greater sense of security knowing I had the means to protect myself had a 'crazy' approached in the parking lot!

Here comes rain-mann,

Do you usually visit WW at 2300 hours, or did you because you feel secure carrying a gun? If the latter, bad idea.

I suggest walking around your house for hours so soon know it's there but don't feel it there; sorta like new shoes.

Will you be walking around with your hands in your pockets so you can respond quickly? I am thinking "gun in pocket" is perhaps almost as inconvenient as "gun on ankle" or "gun in fanny pack".

MississipVol
07-03-2012, 15:49
Here comes rain-mann,

Do you usually visit WW at 2300 hours, or did you because you feel secure carrying a gun? If the latter, bad idea.

I suggest walking around your house for hours so soon know it's there but don't feel it there; sorta like new shoes.

Will you be walking around with your hands in your pockets so you can respond quickly? I am thinking "gun in pocket" is perhaps almost as inconvenient as "gun on ankle" or "gun in fanny pack".

I don't visit WW at 11 pm as a habit but I had to go last night to get some OTC meds. Since it was the only time I had been out since coming home, and seeing that my holster had arrived in the mail, it just became my first carry experience.

As far as pocket carry, I'm sure it is definitely not as fast as OWB carry but I don't see it as being "inconvenient" as you suggest. I try to pay close attention to my surroundings, particularly at that time of night, so I would probably have my hand in my pocket on the ready if a suspicious character approached. Regardless, I am in the process of ordering an IWB holster, just haven't decided on one yet.

Green_Manelishi
07-03-2012, 18:47
I don't visit WW at 11 pm as a habit but I had to go last night to get some OTC meds. Since it was the only time I had been out since coming home, and seeing that my holster had arrived in the mail, it just became my first carry experience.

As far as pocket carry, I'm sure it is definitely not as fast as OWB carry but I don't see it as being "inconvenient" as you suggest. I try to pay close attention to my surroundings, particularly at that time of night, so I would probably have my hand in my pocket on the ready if a suspicious character approached. Regardless, I am in the process of ordering an IWB holster, just haven't decided on one yet.

I still suggest walking around in the house with it in pocket so you become accustomed to its presence. Same with the IWB; the last thing you want is to repeatedly "touching" yourself to make certain everything is where you expect.

allegro
07-06-2012, 17:43
Two important words to help you:

Practice and familiarity.

Be safe.