Pistol Calibre vs rifle Calibre. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Calibre vs rifle Calibre.

eccho
07-03-2012, 06:04
I've read plenty of people arguing about whether "light and fast" or "slow and heavy" bullets are better for self defense.

I've also seen a number of people say they would reach for an AR-15 platform or something in that ballpark before reaching for a glock to defend their homes.

I don't personally buy into the whole "your an idiot if your not using a 45" thing, but considering there has been some controversy over the 9mm being too light and or too fast to have adequate "stopping power", how can an AR-15 platform in 223/5.56 be better.

I realize AR's have a tremendous range advantage, and typically a magazine capacity advantage, but a 55 grain FMJ bullet doesn't sound ideal to me in a home defense environment, even though it has much higher velocity. I would expect over penetration to be an issue at close range too.

How would you compare say, 9mm or other pistol calibre hollowpoints to an AR type rifle?

Mas Ayoob
07-03-2012, 23:06
eccho, you could make a book out of debating that question. The GATE forum is geared to questions that can be answered briefly.

There are many variables including bullet configuration, velocity, need for tactical barrier penetration, etc. Bottom line: if I KNEW I was going to be in a gunfight, everything I've learned tells me I'd rather have an autoloading rifle, and in some circumstances, a shotgun. However, tactical considerations leave us carrying pistols 'cause folks look at us funny when we take the AR15 into WalMart.

Hence my good friend Clint Smith's advice that a pistol is something you use to fight your way to a long gun.

Tailor your gun selection the way the courts will judge your use of the gun in self-defenese: "within the totality of the circumstances."

best,
Mas