Scope Bases and Rings for Howa 1500? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Scope Bases and Rings for Howa 1500?

glockbanger
07-03-2012, 10:07
I've ordered a Howa 1500 that hopefully will be in town at my FFL in a week.

I need to know what kind of bases and rings to get for it. I plan to possibly put a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42mm scope on it... if this makes a difference as to how low or high I might need to be mounting the scope, or if it would affect the size of rings needed.

Do you prefer a one piece base, and if so, why?

I've never mounted a scope, so thanks for your help.

Decguns
07-03-2012, 12:37
I prefer the one piece scope base because the two piece bases can, and often are, not perfectly aligned with each other when installed. But, the one piece base will limit your access to the magazine. Not a big deal with standard calibers in most guns, but it's nice to have the extra space of a two piece mount with magnums.

The most forgiving bases out there for a home scope install are probably the Leupold standard bases. The front ring can swivel a smidge as you align the scope with the base screws on the rear ring. Basically, you can use a laser bore sight or just look down the bore at any target, and adjust the scope's windage using the rear ring. That's an easy way to align the scope & rings to the bore without using gunsmithing tools.

Just check out Leupold's web site. They have all the info you will need on bases, mounting and rings. You'll need medium rings for a 42-45mm scope.

glockbanger
07-03-2012, 20:36
I prefer the one piece scope base because the two piece bases can, and often are, not perfectly aligned with each other when installed. But, the one piece base will limit your access to the magazine. Not a big deal with standard calibers in most guns, but it's nice to have the extra space of a two piece mount with magnums.

The most forgiving bases out there for a home scope install are probably the Leupold standard bases. The front ring can swivel a smidge as you align the scope with the base screws on the rear ring. Basically, you can use a laser bore sight or just look down the bore at any target, and adjust the scope's windage using the rear ring. That's an easy way to align the scope & rings to the bore without using gunsmithing tools.

Just check out Leupold's web site. They have all the info you will need on bases, mounting and rings. You'll need medium rings for a 42-45mm scope.

Better than Talley? or better than a one piece base of another manufacturer?

Does the typical one piece mount come with rings installed?