Colt 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt 1911

ted1
07-03-2012, 22:26
Why can't I find a colt 1911 every lgs I go to tells me colt 1911's have to be special order. Well how do I know what I want to order if I can't see it or touch it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Inyo Tim
07-03-2012, 22:31
I know what you mean. A fellow up in Shasta is selling off his gun collection. He has an 03 Springfield that looks good in the pictures he sent. I would like to buy it but hesitate spending that much money without being able to look it over in person. It's too far to drive just to look at it.
As to the Colt 1911, I've never seen a new one that I wouldn't mind owning.

ted1
07-03-2012, 22:40
Yeah I just think it is ridiculous for a gun store to expect you to pay that kind of cabbage for something you can't even look at. Its like saying you I'm going to sell you a new car but you don't get to pick the make model or color and no test drive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Travclem
07-03-2012, 23:49
Don't know where you are at, but try to find a better funshop. My local shop has a plethora of Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Brown, Springfield, and Colt 1911s in stock.

ted1
07-03-2012, 23:56
I'm in houston tx there are only a couple I have not looked at that I know of but I will keep looking I assure you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

bigchuck83
07-03-2012, 23:58
can't seem to find them here, or they are overpriced. - you know a place is crazy when asking above MSRP. oh well someday a new colt will be mine.

MtBaldy
07-04-2012, 06:35
My LGS has lots of 1911s on display. You could probably find lots in person at a gun show.

This was on display at the right time and came home with me:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/wscott52/New1911Grips.jpg

ps I added the grips. The synthetic ones felt like holding on to a cheese grater. Besides, I think these are prettier.

Joe Kidd
07-04-2012, 06:45
Give these guys a call. They always seem to have Colt 1911's in stock.

http://www.tomballpawn.com/

Brucev
07-04-2012, 07:00
Why can't I find a colt 1911 every lgs I go to tells me colt 1911's have to be special order. Well how do I know what I want to order if I can't see it or touch it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Lower cost high quality 1911's have greatly affected the availability of COLT 1911's. RIA, Springfield, etc., produce pistols that are force down the price of basic 1911 pistols. These pistols have great appeal to those who are not concerned with the history of COLT, etc.

The problem the poses for those who want to handle a handgun before purchase is the same for anyone who wants to purchase a particular revolver/handgun.

paul45
07-04-2012, 07:14
Sorry ted...all of my local shops always have Colts in stock.

One, the other day, got around 8 or 9 Colts in.....on the same say!

sorry to rub in in.

Geeorge
07-04-2012, 08:41
My local shop has numerous ones in stock new and used.

Last time I was there he had a delta elite in the case

Find a better shop been dealing with mine for almost 30 years

Diesel McBadass
07-04-2012, 08:56
For a long time colt has treated the civilian gun market as a secondary. I hope they lose military contracts they may have to focus on making something for the civilian market again.

My dealer said he can get new agents, defenders, and the tiny ones like that easily, and govt style takes a long time.

Travclem
07-04-2012, 10:55
My LGS has lots of 1911s on display. You could probably find lots in person at a gun show.

ps I added the grips. The synthetic ones felt like holding on to a cheese grater. Besides, I think these are prettier.
I recently aquired a TRP (center) and a Colt Combat Elite (top).
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/db405634.jpg

Mushinto
07-04-2012, 12:04
Colt does nopt produce a great number of guns and they only have a limited number of distributers who will allot the guns based on whothehellknowswhat. If a LGS does not do a lot of business with one of these distributers, they are out of luck when they try to order a particular model.

Since there are more 1911s that have a higher profit margin, many dealers will not bother with Colt. Then they make up a story to explain why they have none.

MtBaldy
07-05-2012, 07:57
I recently aquired a TRP (center) and a Colt Combat Elite (top).
]

Cool. Nice looking guns. My TRP has become my new favorite gun to shoot. I even carry it some but it is heavy. Most of the time I still carry my G23.

heliguy
07-05-2012, 10:46

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Nobody wants to buy that ancient design since Glock came to market.....

fnfalman
07-05-2012, 11:09
The smaller gun shops can't get Colts because the bigger ones get dibs from the distributors.

CAcop
07-05-2012, 12:35
The gun shop in my area gets them but the sporting goods stores don't. The Colt armorer instructors I have had said Colt's attitude is "we sell all the ones we make, why make more?"

fnfalman
07-05-2012, 12:37
The Colt armorer instructors I have had said Colt's attitude is "we sell all the ones we make, why make more?"

Maybe that's how they got their quality control up from the last thirty years too. Stop pumping out junks by the thousands, but focus on making good ones.

gwalchmai
07-05-2012, 14:03
After the last Colt 1911 I shot, two weeks ago, I'll stick to Kimber and Springfield.

GWG19
07-05-2012, 17:46
My LGS has Colts and just about every other 1911 in stock. Colts can be hard to come by, but I still like them. I remember when you couldn't hardly give a Kimber away.

ca survivor
07-06-2012, 09:37

nice TRP, enjoy

Maxx702
07-07-2012, 20:07
If you already know what you are looking for try gunbroker or an online gun shop

ted1
07-07-2012, 20:13
Thanks for all the replies guys after a couple of the replies a may just go with a kimber. I guess I have more to think about now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

*ASH*
07-07-2012, 21:55
Colt has become mediocre at best , they are colt from the past , and they have been living on old reputations for years . plenty of better guns out there .

but you got alot of folks drinking the colt kool aid

Glockdude1
07-07-2012, 22:09
Many of the gunshops here have them. They are all lightly used. They were traded in for better 1911's.

Springfield, Baer, S&W, Kimber, Sig, Nighthawk, Wilson, etc...

:cool:

GVFlyer
07-07-2012, 22:15
Although I have 1911s by Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Sig Sauer and Remington, two of my three competition guns are Colts. Colts work for me.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/GeneralAtomics/013-2.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/GVFlyer/GeneralAtomics/015-1.jpg

Mushinto
07-07-2012, 22:48
Colt has become mediocre at best , they are colt from the past , and they have been living on old reputations for years . plenty of better guns out there .

This was true up until about five years ago. With their new machinary, Colts are probably one of the finest production 1911s currently made.

rick458
07-07-2012, 23:05
Did you try Collectors on Fondren? Or Pruits Guns and Ammo on Huffmiester? I WOULD NOT buy a Colt sight unseen, I have had 3 only kept 1, Kimber and Springfield make very nice 1911s for a decent price

fnfalman
07-08-2012, 02:26
Many of the gunshops here have them. They are all lightly used. They were traded in for better 1911's.

Springfield, S&W, Kimber, Sig, etc...

Better than Colt? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Please, let me guess. You have some beach front properties in Arizona that you would like to sell me for cheap too, right?

fnfalman
07-08-2012, 02:28

Of course there are better guns out there. They usually cost a lot more too. Do you expect a $1000 Colt to compete with a $3000 Ed Brown?

Colt had been around for how long now? Their records speak for themselves.

*ASH*
07-08-2012, 02:33
Of course there are better guns out there. They usually cost a lot more too. Do you expect a $1000 Colt to compete with a $3000 Ed Brown?

Colt had been around for how long now? Their records speak for themselves.

thats the problem .living off their old record is nothing like the new ones .

as stated by me and alot of folks , Colt name does not hold the same presence it did long ago .

and there are guns that cost same as colts and out perform them

looks like some of us rawled up colt fanboys roflmao . kool aid

fnfalman
07-08-2012, 02:51
and there are guns that cost same as colts and out perform them

Like?

looks like some of us rawled up colt fanboys roflmao . kool aid

I'm not riled up by your degradation of Colt. I'm offended by your ignorance.:wavey:

fnfalman
07-08-2012, 02:54
as stated by me and alot of folks , Colt name does not hold the same presence it did long ago .

Yet they sell every M1911 that they make. Gun shops can't stock'em.

Of course the same goes for their Mattel Toy too. Noveske this, BCM that, yet for some reasons Colt Mattel Toys are still sought after and sold out.

For a marque that doesn't hold the same presence it did a long time ago, the demand for their products seem quite high. How do you explain that?

*ASH*
07-08-2012, 03:27
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422474
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/841134-Does-colt-still-make-the-best-1911

read some of these , some pro colt some not .

tons more out there

hell i own a old colt delta 10mm , but i would not buy the newer version as its a piece of junk .

to answer your question , Colt sells alot of their guns based on
history , closed minded colt fans , etc etc . it can be debated forever like 9mm vs 45 .

but i like thousands of other folks do not think colt makes the best 1911 at any price range . YMMV

some folks love colt , i dont whopppeedooo .

then main seller for Colt is history . but thats true with cars, tools, any damn thing thats been around 100 years . the fact is the gap has closed and in some instances surpassed Colt.

but the biggest reason for colt being so successful

history

fnfalman
07-08-2012, 04:45
Blah, blah, blah.

Give me some of your own real world experience with something that costs the same price range as a Colt yet better.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422474
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/841134-Does-colt-still-make-the-best-1911

read some of these , some pro colt some not .

tons more out there

hell i own a old colt delta 10mm , but i would not buy the newer version as its a piece of junk .

You own arguably one of the worst Colts if not THE worst Colts in history and you have the temerity to claim that the current Delta Elite is a piece of junk? That's a laugh. Anybody that knows anything about firearms and Colt in particular would know that the current Colts kick the living hell out of Colts made between 1980 and 2005.

some folks love colt , i dont whopppeedooo .

Neither do I. But I don't speak from ignorance.

then main seller for Colt is history . but thats true with cars, tools, any damn thing thats been around 100 years . the fact is the gap has closed and in some instances surpassed Colt.

Yes, indeed. They also cost thousands of dollars more. You pay for what you get.

but the biggest reason for colt being so successful
history

Really? Colt was so successful that they had to file for bankruptcy? That they had to sell the Prancing Pony atop of their building?

Please regale us with more tales of your intimate knowledge about Colt and Colt firearms.

Travclem
07-08-2012, 10:05
Blah, blah, blah.

Give me some of your own real world experience (snip)

I paid a little more for my TRP, and a little less for my loaded than I did for my Colt Combat Elite and both Springfields are better guns IMO.

The TRP is a lot more accurate, tighter fit, smoother finish, and a much better gun all around. Even my made in Brazil Loaded has better fit, finish, and trigger than the Colt.
The Colt has a pretty loose slide to frame fit, a horrid trigger, and the bluing on the slide looks like it was done in sharpie. The grips sure are pretty though. I'll have to fall into the "Colt sells for nostalgia" group too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

CAcop
07-08-2012, 10:44
Maybe that's how they got their quality control up from the last thirty years too. Stop pumping out junks by the thousands, but focus on making good ones.

They were using jigs from WWII to make their guns. One of my instructors showed pics from the factory. He even showed their new CNC jig for slides. They were in the process of going CNC for everything as of 2010.

They probably were trying to do too much with old ways of doing things.

bac1023
07-08-2012, 11:14
The dealers around here don't stock many new Colts either, though most have some used examples.

gwalchmai
07-08-2012, 11:46
I've shot a few Colts, but never one that shoots as nice as any of the Kimbers I've shot. I'm sure there are exceptional Colts out there, but I haven't run into them.

Also, none of the Colt revolvers I've shot felt as nice or were as accurate for me as my S&Ws. They are pretty, though.

*ASH*
07-08-2012, 12:12
I paid a little more for my TRP, and a little less for my loaded than I did for my Colt Combat Elite and both Springfields are better guns IMO.

The TRP is a lot more accurate, tighter fit, smoother finish, and a much better gun all around. Even my made in Brazil Loaded has better fit, finish, and trigger than the Colt.
The Colt has a pretty loose slide to frame fit, a horrid trigger, and the bluing on the slide looks like it was done in sharpie. The grips sure are pretty though. I'll have to fall into the "Colt sells for nostalgia" group too.

thousands of folks feel the same way , im on that list as well

i inherited the one colt i got . never gets shot much , now my kimber, sti and springfields get used alot .

i have 2 grown daughters who shoot some as well , i was gonna hand it down to them but they dont want it , so down the road i will sell it , as of now its in safe .

FNLman , i have no more responses for you ,just keep drinking the kool aid and scoping out chicks .

45caldan
07-08-2012, 13:42
Blah, blah, blah.

Give me some of your own real world experience with something that costs the same price range as a Colt yet better.

You own arguably one of the worst Colts if not THE worst Colts in history and you have the temerity to claim that the current Delta Elite is a piece of junk? That's a laugh. Anybody that knows anything about firearms and Colt in particular would know that the current Colts kick the living hell out of Colts made between 1980 and 2005.

Neither do I. But I don't speak from ignorance.

Yes, indeed. They also cost thousands of dollars more. You pay for what you get.

Really? Colt was so successful that they had to file for bankruptcy? That they had to sell the Prancing Pony atop of their building?

Please regale us with more tales of your intimate knowledge about Colt and Colt firearms.

FN man is right.
Those that REALLY know , know that Colt is using modern CNC machinery now and there current pistols are much better than just a few years ago.
Some of the opinions expressed in this thread are based on OLD information or experiences....
BTW, Colt has ALWAYS fitted the slide to frame a little sloppy compared to other makers to ensure reliability!
I would trust a new out of the box Colt over almost ANY other 1911!
I will never (again) own a series II Kimber!!!!!

gwalchmai
07-08-2012, 13:57
I will never (again) own a series II Kimber!!!!!Tell me your experience with your SII Kimber. I have plain-jane Custom II (with an external extractor, no less) that I have over 10,000 trouble free rounds through. No rattle and very accurate.

45caldan
07-08-2012, 14:07
Tell me your experience with your SII Kimber. I have plain-jane Custom II (with an external extractor, no less) that I have over 10,000 trouble free rounds through. No rattle and very accurate.

Mine was also an external extractor and had numerous FTE.
Never had any of those with my Colts.
The Swartz type FPS has been known to be more problematic than the series 80 system (which every other maker WITH a FPS uses).
Talk about cheap finishes. The black oxide finish seems to be one of the weakest of any finish on any handgun I've had.
Then Kimber while asking a lot of $$$ for their 1911s, stuffs them with more MIM parts than anyone else in their price range!
BTW, slide to bbl fitting is much more important for better accuracy.

BrazosCoTX
07-08-2012, 14:08
FWIW, I like my recently purchsed Colt Rail Gun, and would recommend it to others.

doolyd
07-08-2012, 14:42
I'm in houston tx there are only a couple I have not looked at that I know of but I will keep looking I assure you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Have you been to collectors firearms? They have tons of pistols both new and used. I wouldn't buy from them but you could at least see and feel what you like and then order.

Travclem
07-08-2012, 21:34
FN man is right.
Those that REALLY know , know that Colt is using modern CNC machinery now and there current pistols are much better than just a few years ago.
Some of the opinions expressed in this thread are based on OLD information or experiences....
BTW, Colt has ALWAYS fitted the slide to frame a little sloppy compared to other makers to ensure reliability!
I will never (again) own a series II Kimber!!!!!They may be using new tools but so is taurus. I have a 2011 combat elite and it is inferior to both of my Springfields.

GWG19
07-08-2012, 22:19
They may be using new tools but so is taurus. I have a 2011 combat elite and it is inferior to both of my Springfields.

Pffff. Comparing a Colt to a Taurus. Of course your Taurus is inferior to your Springfields especially if you a NM serial number.

Travclem
07-08-2012, 23:12
Pffff. Comparing a Colt to a Taurus. Of course your Taurus is inferior to your Springfields especially if you a NM serial number.

I do not own a taurus, the Combat Elite is a Colt.

Three-Five-Seven
07-08-2012, 23:40
Colt is currently making the best Series 70 1911s they've ever built. You can get one in blue for 900 bucks or in stainless for 1K bucks.

Most 1911s are custom shop built and, therefore, in on-going short supply.

GWG19
07-09-2012, 07:11
I do not own a taurus, the Combat Elite is a Colt.

My bad on that. Now comparing a Colt to a Springfield. There are defiantly Springfields that do compare. I can say that the XSE I have is a great shooter, fit and finish are top notch.

45caldan
07-09-2012, 11:36
They may be using new tools but so is taurus. I have a 2011 combat elite and it is inferior to both of my Springfields.

In what way are they inferior????
The TRP is a more expensive pistol than the Colt Combat Elite by about $500.....it SHOULD be better fitted!
The TRP BTW, is NOT a "PRO"! I would rather have a Dan Wesson Valor in that price range....
You should be comparing a TRP to a Colt "Special Combat Government" IF you want an apples to apples comparison.

Travclem
07-09-2012, 11:50
The TRP is a more expensive pistol than the Colt Combat Elite by about $500.....it SHOULD be better fitted!
The TRP BTW, is NOT a "PRO"!
I would rather have a Dan Wesson Valor in that price range....
You should be comparing a TRP to a Colt "Special Combat Government" IF you want an apples to apples comparison.
See post 37.
Where did I say the TRP was a Pro?

DW Valors are nice but I prefer the TRP.

I have a Springfield Loaded (Made in Brazil) that will out shoot the Combat elite from a ransom rest. The Colt has a plastic MSH which is garbage IMO and the fitment of parts is not great. The TRP will out shoot both. TRPs can be had in the $1100-1200 range and the Combat Elite is around $900-1000 so, not a $500 difference.

If you want the comparison to a Special Combat Government, My TRP is better fitted and outshoots my buddy's SCG. (from a RR) The SCG also has the horrid series 80 fps and the fitment is sloppy. The checkered fs on the TRP is also a plus over the SCG.

You Colt fanboys are a trip:rofl:

fnfalman
07-09-2012, 12:01
The TRP BTW, is NOT a "PRO"! I would rather have a Dan Wesson Valor in that price range....

Or compare a Loaded to a standard Colt Government, they're both in thesame price range.

The Loaded has more doodads on it, but it's no "better" in the fit & finish department, nor the shooting accuracy department and the trigger pull department.

fnfalman
07-09-2012, 12:03
See post 37.

I have a Springfield Loaded (Made in Brazil) that will out shoot the Combat elite from a ransom rest. The Colt has a plastic MSH which is garbage IMO and the fitment of parts is not great. The TRP will out shoot both. TRPs can be had in the $1100-1200 range and the Combat Elite is around $900-1000 so, not a $500 difference.

If you want the comparison to a Special Combat Government, My TRP is better fitted and outshoots my buddy's SCG. (from a RR) The SCG also has the horrid series 80 fps and the fitment is sloppy. The checkered fs on the TRP is also a plus over the SCG.

And my standard Colt Goverment Model outshoots my Loaded model. It doesn't even have the fancy one-piece guide rod that supposedly aids in accuracy either.

You foreign guns fan boys are quite a trip as well.

45caldan
07-09-2012, 13:17
See post 37.

If I am a fan boy why did I say I'd rather have a Valor???
I must admit I thought the SCG model was a series 70 :embarassed:
I own a SS series 70 (so no "must have" bells and wistles :upeyes:) but other than a "sloppy slide to frame fit" It is very nicely finished! The trigger is somewhat loosely fitted but has a very nice pull and break (about 4.5lbs).
No way in hell would I take a Springfield "loaded" over it!

Bren
07-09-2012, 13:48
Pretty rare to see a gun shop without a Colt 1911 in stock. Are you only looking for a new one? Then you're limited to Colt dealers. Personally, I don't buy new guns, ever.

Travclem
07-10-2012, 01:16
And my standard Colt Goverment Model outshoots my Loaded model. It doesn't even have the fancy one-piece guide rod that supposedly aids in accuracy either.

You foreign guns fan boys are quite a trip as well.
As are you foreign motorcycle fanboys:tongueout:

CAcop
07-10-2012, 06:59
FN man is right.
I will never (again) own a series II Kimber!!!!!

This point was brought up in my Colt armorers course. Colt makes them to the same tolerances and dimensions as they did from the beginning. As in what John Browning said they should be.

The AMU has pointed out slide to frame fit only accounts for about 5% of a weapon's accuracy. I suspect slide to frame fit and other things 1911 manufacturers do are because competition shooters want to get as much out of their gun as possible and are willing to trade off reliablity, or at least moving on to a different gun if they can't get the most accuracy and reliability. Colt, along with most others in the production class of manufacturers realizes most of their customers are not looking for, nor willing to spend the money, a gun with the most accuracy and reliability so they make sure it is a little loose to make sure it is reliable.

If you need or want a gun more accurate and/or reliable there are semi-custom and custom gunmakers to supply you with a gun. You will pay for it though.

fnfalman
07-10-2012, 07:40
As are you foreign motorcycle fanboys:tongueout:

Foreign motorcycles are better than American motorcycles.

Foreign M1911s aren't better than American M1911s.

Travclem
07-10-2012, 11:37
Foreign motorcycles are better than American motorcycles.

Foreign M1911s aren't better than American M1911s.

I agree with you about the motorcycles. But we'll have to agree to disagree about the Colt/Springfield issue. I've never seen or shot a colt that I would trade either of my Springfields for.

fnfalman
07-10-2012, 12:38
I agree with you about the motorcycles. But we'll have to agree to disagree about the Colt/Springfield issue. I've never seen or shot a colt that I would trade either of my Springfields for.

I gave away one of my Springfields. I don't plan on giving any of my Colt away.

Metal Angel
07-10-2012, 13:04
Last time I was at the LGS another customer was looking at a Colt 1911. He scoffed at the price tag (I didn't see it so I don't know what it was) and the shop owner said "Yup, Colt's pretty proud of their products. But if want it you better pick it up now because we can only get about 3 in stock in a year."

fnfalman
07-10-2012, 13:21
Last time I was at the LGS another customer was looking at a Colt 1911. He scoffed at the price tag (I didn't see it so I don't know what it was) and the shop owner said "Yup, Colt's pretty proud of their products. But if want it you better pick it up now because we can only get about 3 in stock in a year."

This is what kills me. They look at a Colt and they think that they should pay the price of a generic plastic phantastic or something.

I'm willing to bet that Kimber has more quality issues and complaints than Colt does. Also, had anybody looked at a SW M1911 lately? They look like SIG American pistols with all sort of silly ass craps on them. Fish scale serration? Gimme a break.

When it comes to a good old fashion basic M1911A1 with reasonable quality, fit and finish, you still can't beat a Colt.

Magus
07-10-2012, 16:10
When it comes to a good old fashion basic M1911A1 with reasonable quality, fit and finish, you still can't beat a Colt.

I agree mostly and disagree with that slightly. I do like Colt's a lot. I've owned many over the years.

Same with Springfields.

Last Colt I owned was a 70 repro. Darn nice gun. But comparing fit and finish to a couple Springers I owned made around the same time, the Springers were overall a bit better on the fit and finish...and were a bit cheaper. But this was just one example.

It's splitting hairs honestly. I've found Colt will be better in some ways where Springfield wasn't and vice versa.

Springfield and Colt are all I really like when it comes to 1911's. They're both well made, both good quality for production 1911's. I'd be proud to own either.

45caldan
07-23-2012, 07:45
Ya Colt sucks who would want them? :upeyes:

read who:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/07/marine-corps-marsoc-new-colt-45-caliber-pistols-071912

Travclem
07-23-2012, 09:20
Ya Colt sucks who would want them? :upeyes:

read who:
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2012/07/marine-corps-marsoc-new-colt-45-caliber-pistols-071912
Colt and the .gov have been in cahoots for a long time. It's not surprising that Colt would be awarded another contract.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 09:24
Colt and the .gov have been in cahoots for a long time. It's not surprising that Colt would be awarded another contract.

Is that why FN won the M16A2 contract? Or Remington recently won the M4 contract? Or Beretta won the XM9 award? Or HK won the Mk23 award?

Travclem
07-23-2012, 09:37
Is that why FN won the M16A2 contract? Or Remington recently won the M4 contract? Or Beretta won the XM9 award? Or HK won the Mk23 award?

Colt will still receive royalties from the DoD for any guns derived from the M16 until 2050.

Colt dosn't make anything comparable to the M9 or MK23.

07-23-2012, 10:41

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Houston has tons of shops. Which ones have you looked at? Here are just some.

Carter's Country (x4)
Collectors Firearms
Tomball Pawn
AMSS-USA
SOG Armory
Memorial Shooting Center
Top Gun Range
AJC Gun Shop
Spring Guns and Ammo
Fountain Firearms
Republic Arms
The Arms Room

I would be shocked if you cannot find any Colt 1911 in stock, especially at Carter's, Collectors Firearms, AMSS, or AJC.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 11:17
Colt dosn't make anything comparable to the M9 or MK23.

Colt had the American 2000 pistol. Why didn't the DoD just out and adopted it?

Colt participated in the Mk23 trial. It lost to the HK.

So much for favoritism by the DoD.:rofl:

Travclem
07-23-2012, 11:39
Colt had the American 2000 pistol. Why didn't the DoD just out and adopted it?

Colt participated in the Mk23 trial. It lost to the HK.

So much for favoritism by the DoD.:rofl:
You think that POS Colt is comparable to the HK? I said Colt doesn't make anything Similar to the MK23 or M9.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 12:06
You think that POS Colt is comparable to the HK? I said Colt doesn't make anything Similar to the MK23 or M9.

That's why it lost in the trial. However it was comparable to the HK. That's why it was in the trial.

However according to you, Colt was in the cahoot with the DOD and would have gotten the contract anyway, right?

As far as "similar", let's see:

1. American 2000 was chambered in 9mm and high capacity with either aluminum frame or plastic frame. Nope. Not "similar" to the Beretta at all.

2. Colt's Mk23 prototype was huge, chambered in .45ACP and with various doodads that SOCOM specced out for the Mk23 trial. It was the only other offering beside HK. Nope. Not "similar" at all.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 12:13
Colt = US Marine Corps top choice.

IMBEL = Not USMC top choice.

End of story.

American gun wins.

Travclem
07-23-2012, 12:49
Colt = US Marine Corps top choice.

IMBEL = Not USMC top choice.

End of story.

American gun wins.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:You definately keep it interesting.

You just can't get over Brazillian FORGINGS. Springfields guns (NM s/n) are machined and made in the U.S. I'd rather have a quality forging from Brazil than a crappy one from the U.S. any day. How about that FBI HRT Contract?

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 12:51

You just can't get over Brazillian FORGINGS. Springfields guns (NM s/n) are machined and made in the U.S. I'd rather have a quality forging from Brazil than a crappy one from the U.S. any day. How about that FBI HRT Contract?

If it's so good then how come the USMC chose Colt?

How about that FBI contract? Last I checked the HRT used somebody else and not Springfield. Springfield were only issued to their local SWAT outfits. Not good enough for the HRT.

By the way, NM serial number Springfields aren't "made in the USA". They're made in Brazil and finished in the USA.

Travclem
07-23-2012, 12:56
If it's so good then how come the USMC chose Colt?

How about that FBI contract? Last I checked the HRT used somebody else and not Springfield. Springfield were only issued to their local SWAT outfits. Not good enough for the HRT.

By the way, NM serial number Springfields aren't "made in the USA". They're made in Brazil and finished in the USA.
Colt could probably give the government a better price on a lesser gun.

You are wrong about the FBI contract.

That is an incorrect statement. The slides and frames are forged in Brazil, everything else is done in Illinois.

45caldan
07-23-2012, 13:01

Crappy?
What in the world is crappy about Colt's forgings? :upeyes:

Travclem
07-23-2012, 13:05
Crappy?
What in the world is crappy about Colt's forgings? :upeyes:
That wasn't my intent. I'd just rather have quality regardless of country of origin.

ETA: but then again I just read on another forum that 4 of the guns cracked before the 12k round mark. Don't know if it is fact or not, just something to ponder.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_49/127530_USMC_may_go__Colt.html

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 13:12
That wasn't my intent. I'd just rather have quality regardless of country of origin.

The US Marine Corps had determined which country of origin offered a less crappy pistol.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 13:22
You are wrong about the FBI contract.

One of us is wrong and it ain't me.

That is an incorrect statement. The slides and frames are forged in Brazil, everything else is done in Illinois.

The major components are made in Brazil, but the gun is somehow magically made in the USA. Oooookay...

Travclem
07-23-2012, 13:27
The US Marine Corps had determined which country of origin offered a less crappy pistol.
No, just who could give them a better price, not necessarily better quality.

Travclem
07-23-2012, 13:29
One of us is wrong and it ain't me.

The major components are made in Brazil, but the gun is somehow magically made in the USA. Oooookay...
Yes you are wrong about the FBI contract.

Do you not understand what a forging is? It is just a rough cut blank. All machining, fitting, and finishing is done here. I have both U.S. and Brazil made Springfields and the machining is not the same.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 15:11
Yes you are wrong about the FBI contract.

Okay, let me enlighten you:

FBI SWAT = Springfield

FBI HRT = Les Baer.

Do you not understand what a forging is? It is just a rough cut blank. All machining, fitting, and finishing is done here. I have both U.S. and Brazil made Springfields and the machining is not the same.

When the majority of the material comes from overseas, it ain't "American made" no matter how much you want it to be.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 15:12
Also, USMC weapons are meant to be deployed into war zones and carried by America's finest fighting men and women. FBI guns are made for a bunch of degreed accountants and lawyers. Sorry, Colt wins.

Travclem
07-23-2012, 15:58

FBI SWAT = Springfield

FBI HRT = Les Baer.

When the majority of the material comes from overseas, it ain't "American made" no matter how much you want it to be.
Source? I believe this to be incorrect information.

Travclem
07-23-2012, 16:01
Also, USMC weapons are meant to be deployed into war zones and carried by America's finest fighting men and women. FBI guns are made for a bunch of degreed accountants and lawyers. Sorry, Colt wins.
The FBI test ran the guns a lot harder than the USMC test. Legend has it that 4 out of 10 Colts failed and were un serviceable before the test was up. It hasn't been released as to why the Springfield was ousted but I doubt it was mechanical. 60% aint too good bud.

Glockdude1
07-23-2012, 16:08
What agency uses the Springfield Pro?

Mushinto
07-23-2012, 22:09

FBI SWAT = Springfield

FBI HRT = Les Baer.

Y2K must have stopped your computer. Les Baer's shop customized a 1911 on a Para-Ordnance (Canadian BTW) frame for the HRT in 1995. They used them for a few years and had problems, so they sent out another RFP and Springfield was the only on to meet specs. Springfield's custom shop has been providing 1911s to the FBI, DEA, U.S. Marshalls and other federal agencies for some of their agents for years now. At the time, Colt did not have the time, the tools or the staff the win a bid on that contract.

Springfield runs a great custom shop, but current Colts are every bit as good or better than production Springfields.

Mushinto
07-23-2012, 22:12
What agency uses the Springfield Pro?

The Pro is the "civilian" version of the FBI, etc. 1911 that the Springfield custom shop makes and sells for non-Federal LE individuals.

About three grand and a year wait. A better 1911 would be hard to find.

Bodyarmorguy
07-23-2012, 22:34
The Pro is the "civilian" version of the FBI, etc. 1911 that the Springfield custom shop makes and sells for non-Federal LE individuals.

About three grand and a year wait. A better 1911 would be hard to find.

Mushinto is correct. My current custom line includes Colt guns built by Jason Burton and one built at Gunsite once upon a time, a Springfield built at Yost-Bonitz and a Springfield Pro. The Pro is by far the tightest of them all, though they all shoot and group more or less the same.

I am not taking anything away from the others that I listed, they are all 100% and all are in my carry rotation.

The Burton gun and Yost-Bonitz pistol are comparable as full custom build guns. In terms of "Semi-custom production" guns the closest I have found t a Springfield Pro is a recently acquire Ed Brown Special Forces model.

Note, I was toting my Pro all day today while Mushinto and I happened to be out surfing a local gun shop together.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 23:49
No, just who could give them a better price, not necessarily better quality.

Sure, whatever you gotta say to convince yourself.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 23:50
The FBI test ran the guns a lot harder than the USMC test. Legend has it that 4 out of 10 Colts failed and were un serviceable before the test was up. It hasn't been released as to why the Springfield was ousted but I doubt it was mechanical. 60% aint too good bud.

Apparently better than the Springfield, or otherwise the Springfield would have been chosen. If 60% isn't too good, then imagine what was the percentage for the loser.

fnfalman
07-23-2012, 23:51
Source? I believe this to be incorrect information.

Go dig up 20-years-old gun mags.

NEOH212
07-24-2012, 02:32
The only Colt 1911's I see locally around here are usually ones that come in on trade. :crying:

Travclem
07-24-2012, 08:49
Go dig up 20-years-old gun mags.

Things change over 20 years jack. They had reliability issues with the Baers and went to Springfields. Get with the times man.

Travclem
07-24-2012, 08:50
Apparently better than the Springfield, or otherwise the Springfield would have been chosen. If 60% isn't too good, then imagine what was the percentage for the loser.

No one will know until the results are released but I'd put money down that is was no a mechanical flaw in the Springfield.

fnfalman
07-24-2012, 09:42
Things change over 20 years jack. They had reliability issues with the Baers and went to Springfields. Get with the times man.

Whatever, Les Baer was the original supplier to the HRT.

And the US Marines are still tougher than a bunch of accountants no matter what ninja gears these accounts wear.

Travclem
07-24-2012, 11:27
Whatever, Les Baer was the original supplier to the HRT.

And the US Marines are still tougher than a bunch of accountants no matter what ninja gears these accounts wear.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Are you 12 or what?

fnfalman
07-24-2012, 21:08
:rofl::rofl::rofl:Are you 12 or what?

Are you saying that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children don't compare to the Feebs?

Travclem
07-24-2012, 22:19
Are you saying that Uncle Sam's Misguided Children don't compare to the Feebs?

No what I said was "are you 12 or what?".

fnfalman
07-25-2012, 10:41
No what I said was "are you 12 or what?".

What if I am? What if I am posting from my mommy's house?

Travclem
07-25-2012, 14:55
What if I am? What if I am posting from my mommy's house?

Then your post content and demeanor would make more sense.