I urgently need a toilet... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I urgently need a toilet...

Bolster
07-03-2012, 23:05
...seriously! I want to take my young daughter camping for her first time and I know everything will go MUCH better if I pack a toilet. I'd spend up to $100 if I had to, and if it was worth it. Or maybe the less expensive sort is the way to go?

Figure it would do double duty as a handy prep item, too, and when working at remote locations w/o facilities.

Can you make specific style or brand recommendations, or brands or models to avoid?

This one seems to get good reviews on Amazon

Amazon.com: Sanitation Equipment Visa Potty Model: 268 24 Liter with 2-level Indicators: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VA7VT7M4L.@@AMEPARAM@@41VA7VT7M4L

Here's one with high ratings that's cheap

Amazon.com: Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41O9UaiOc2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41O9UaiOc2L

R_W
07-04-2012, 06:00
luggable loo (on a 3 gallon bucket for kids). Second bucket to keep TP, spare bags, some sawdust/peatmoss/kittylitter, baby wipes, and hand cleaner.

Protus
07-04-2012, 06:46
luggable loo (on a 3 gallon bucket for kids). Second bucket to keep TP, spare bags, some sawdust/peatmoss/kittylitter, baby wipes, and hand cleaner.

we used a one or two gallon icing bucket i can recall..one small enough for her not to fall into LOL..... just cut the bottom out..so no cleaning needed.

pizza
07-04-2012, 07:36
Here ya go...LOL!

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/ProductDisplay?url=ProductDisplay%3FcatalogId%3D10602%26storeId%3D10152%26productId%3D11260%26langId %3D-1&cm_ite=hitch_toilet_seat&catalogId=10602&productId=11260&langId=-1&cm_pla=NONBRAND&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=GOOGLE&storeId=10152&affiliateId=rkg&affiliateId=rkg&ddkey=http:MarketingAttribution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

bdcochran
07-04-2012, 09:25
Luggable loo. I bought one a couple of weeks ago.

Bushflyr
07-04-2012, 10:23
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/ROCK-6/PSK%20Gear/BOBDiggers.jpg

Seriously. Start her off on the right foot. There are a few things more useless than a woman that can't pee in the woods, but not many. :supergrin:

Bolster
07-04-2012, 10:25
Luggable loo it is, then. THanks for the rec's.

So, I assume you throw some cat litter in the bottom of a trash bag, use it for a day or so (3 people), and then bind and toss?

Any need for any of these chemical products? Do they just deoderize, or do they also break the "product" down? And are any of these necessary if you use kitty litter?

Bushflyr
07-04-2012, 11:41
So, I assume you throw some cat litter in the bottom of a trash bag, use it for a day or so (3 people), and then bind and toss?

Yes.

Any need for any of these chemical products? Do they just deoderize, or do they also break the "product" down? And are any of these necessary if you use kitty litter?

No. You won't have it around long enough for any decomposition to take place.

Search "rocket box" or "groover" for a s#!t ton of information on this style of crapper.

Bolster
07-04-2012, 12:50
Excellent thanks. "Groover" from the grooves it leaves on your heinie. LOL.

http://everything2.com/title/Groover

Looks like dry bleach is the ticket. Wow this is an art form for some:

"In his book, Up **** Creek : A Collection of Horrifyingly True Wilderness Toilet Misadventures, author Joe Lindsay describes the Jon-ny Partner and a deluxe groover nicknamed the Millenium Falcon, both of which are made of stainless steel and allow easy access for bag changes..."

BR549
07-04-2012, 15:36
I can hardly believe you people....

I should have known better though....

All you need is a hand shovel,

a rope for a serious #2

and if you really want to speed up #1.... a Lady J...

Seriously???

RichJ
07-04-2012, 16:05
To satisfy the folks in my group who won't just poop in a hole, I got a $5 toilet seat from WM and put it on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

Fill about half way or less with creek water, use, then dump. Easy breezy.

Unistat
07-04-2012, 21:05
Luggable Loo with some bio-bags to keep the squick down.

r3dot
07-05-2012, 05:36
To satisfy the folks in my group who won't just poop in a hole, I got a $5 toilet seat from WM and put it on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

dump in creek, right?:rofl:

rwrjr
07-05-2012, 06:40
I bought the Amazon.com: TravelJohn Foldable Commode /Chair (Olive Drab): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31CmbZaCQZL.@@AMEPARAM@@31CmbZaCQZL.

I'm ok just making a cat hole but if I'm going to get my wife out regularly I'll be toting this along.

I plan on using it without the bags, just a cat hole beneath.

lawman800
07-05-2012, 08:50
Here ya go...LOL!

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/ProductDisplay?url=ProductDisplay%3FcatalogId%3D10602%26storeId%3D10152%26productId%3D11260%26langId %3D-1&cm_ite=hitch_toilet_seat&catalogId=10602&productId=11260&langId=-1&cm_pla=NONBRAND&cm_ven=PPC&cm_cat=GOOGLE&storeId=10152&affiliateId=rkg&affiliateId=rkg&ddkey=http:MarketingAttribution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I saw those before, and I laughed so hard... wanted to buy one and put on my truck and just drive around with it. The only bad thing is in L.A., some bums might just take me up on it and use it when I am stopped in traffic and you'll see me driving down the road with a bum taking a dump while hanging on the truck.

rwrjr
07-05-2012, 09:19
I saw those before, and I laughed so hard... wanted to buy one and put on my truck and just drive around with it. The only bad thing is in L.A., some bums might just take me up on it and use it when I am stopped in traffic and you'll see me driving down the road with a bum taking a dump while hanging on the truck.

Now just how am I supposed to get that visual out of my head?

RichJ
07-05-2012, 12:35
dump in creek, right?:rofl:
No, of course not.

http://www.option-g.com/apparel/tshirt_squares/indian.jpg

98LS-WON
07-08-2012, 11:06
Teach her to sit on a bent e-tool. My girls are 5 and 7 and think it's hilarious to poop in the woods.

owl6roll
07-09-2012, 03:50

Seriously. Start her off on the right foot. There are a few things more useless than a woman that can't pee in the woods, but not many. :supergrin:

Lordy, had I known my wife couldn't pee in the woods, we'd not got married......26 years ago. Not something that ever came up, huummm.

We did go camping, in the middle of the wood, nothing around for miles and I'm sleeping and the wife is out of the tent, earylin the AM. I hear the grunting, and squirming around, just behind the tent, one of those noises you just can't figure out, unless your looking at. I unzip the back window and look out, shes squatted and nothing on, except for her shirt! I asked her what she was doing and she snapped back, I'm trying to pee! Me: why did you take off your clothes? Her: I don't wanna pee on them! When I told her the folks in the other tent might be watching her (she never heard them come in in the early morning hours), that was it, 25 mile drive to go to the potty.:faint:

lawman800
07-09-2012, 08:38
Teach her to sit on a bent e-tool. My girls are 5 and 7 and think it's hilarious to poop in the woods.

It's more fun to poop in the yard.:whistling:

Bolster
07-09-2012, 15:08
Too many of you mockers are assuming the wide open wilderness when mocking the idea of a groover or alternative latrine.

Even raft tour guides have figured out there's not enough wilderness for everyone to dig a hole. There'd be poop everywhere. Keep your poop in a group, use a groover.

Now apply the same thinking to urban or suburban areas. You can't just go around digging holes in lawns. Neither can you go knocking on doors in neighborhoods asking to use the facilities. Fast food joints too far away, a complete waste of productive time getting to and back.

OK enough theorizing. I put the groover (with luggable loo lid) to use this past 4 days on a construction project where there's a corner of privacy (between garage and fence), but otherwise you're deep in suburbia. (No, driving down to the corner Starbuck's was not an option).

Result: It worked great. Convenient, comfortable, and no smell. Juts keep the cat litter stocked, double-bag and empty into the dumpster daily.

Consequence: I drank WAY more water than normal, because I had a place to stash it when I was done. So I was way more hydrated than normal. Given it was 102 degrees, that's a good thing.

Bonus: Looks just like any other 5-gal bucket, doesn't stand out from all the other construction gear.

Thanks RW and BDCochran and Bushflyr for the rec. I followed RW's advice with a second bucket devoted to the toiletries (bags, TP, litter, handcleaner.) Worked great.

G29Reload
07-09-2012, 20:12
Luggable loo it is, then. THanks for the rec's.

I have a sanitary evac kit for bug out, in the rare event I have to (radiation levels too high about all I can imagine at the moment.)

1. 5 gal bucket from HD.
2. Solid lid (never got around to one of those seats, will have to support n squat)

In the bucket

1 qt of ammonia

1 qt of bleach

handful of hefty bags for liners

Sanitary sachet like you put in an RV holding tank…breakdown/deodorizer

sealed 2 liter bottle (soda rinseout) filled with tap water (prime the sachet / cleanup)

packet of cheap dishwashing gloves

packet of deep woods off combo bug/sunblock

pump bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer

bars of motel soaps

Tube of moisturizer cream

roll of TP

Roll of paper towels

pint of rubbing alcohol

I started this project after seeing the people on the overpass in NO during Katrina. Even some primitive sanitation in a make-do format would have been huge for morale and endurance. An orderly, hygienic way to do what's necessary would have been a lot less traumatic then what they went thru.

It was cheap to assemble
Priceless if needed (even if unlikely)
Took little effort and very little space in the back of a closet
Total grab and go, has a handle.

don't want to be trying to assemble that assortment in a hurry.

Do it
Deal with it
Clean up

All in having a plan.

Bolster
07-09-2012, 20:41
All good. Except the ammonia and bleach part worries me. Those are well separated, yes? If I remember my chem, they produce chloramine vapor when mixed. Toxic & deadly. However, given that you are G29, and that you know a burro from a burrow, I am assuming your use for these chems was separate.

jeager
07-09-2012, 21:34
All good. Except the ammonia and bleach part worries me. Those are well separated, yes? If I remember my chem, they produce chloramine vapor when mixed. Toxic & deadly. However, given that you are G29, and that you know a burro from a burrow, I am assuming your use for these chems was separate.

I'd use pinesol instead.
too much of a risk w/ the ammonia/bleach.
add a handfull of kitty litter or cedar chips to the mix.

M1A Shooter
07-09-2012, 21:59
i too have been planning on getting the toilet seat lid. i currently have a roll of small trashbags, couple rolls of TP in plastic, tooth brushes, tooth paste, deodorant, soap and some sanitizing gel. mine is more planned for household emergency use or possible bug out. i also keep quite a bit of cat litter on hand but mostly becaus my wife helps foster cats from a local no kill shelter from time to time. coiuld be used for personal reasons n a pinch.

Bolster
07-09-2012, 23:11
As mentioned, smell's not a problem using cat litter, so I'm not understanding the need for any harsh chemicals. OTOH, I'm not leaving the contents for more than 24 hours. So for "long term storage" maybe a chemical would become necessary.

Takes more than a handful of litter, tho. More like 4 handfulls is about right, and more as needed. I'm bigger than a cat.

The price of litter varies greatly, from a few dollars a bag, to a Jackson per bag. I've been using the cheapest possible, some sort of recycled paper product.

I had read somewhere that powdered bleach was a good addition for lots of users and full buckets but I've yet to find any source selling powdered bleach.

Allfal
07-09-2012, 23:15
I have a sanitary evac kit for bug out, in the rare event I have to (radiation levels too high about all I can imagine at the moment.)

1. 5 gal bucket from HD.
2. Solid lid (never got around to one of those seats, will have to support n squat)

In the bucket

1 qt of ammonia

1 qt of bleach

handful of hefty bags for liners

Sanitary sachet like you put in an RV holding tank…breakdown/deodorizer

sealed 2 liter bottle (soda rinseout) filled with tap water (prime the sachet / cleanup)

packet of cheap dishwashing gloves

packet of deep woods off combo bug/sunblock

pump bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer

bars of motel soaps

Tube of moisturizer cream

roll of TP

Roll of paper towels

pint of rubbing alcohol

I started this project after seeing the people on the overpass in NO during Katrina. Even some primitive sanitation in a make-do format would have been huge for morale and endurance. An orderly, hygienic way to do what's necessary would have been a lot less traumatic then what they went thru.

It was cheap to assemble
Priceless if needed (even if unlikely)
Took little effort and very little space in the back of a closet
Total grab and go, has a handle.

don't want to be trying to assemble that assortment in a hurry.

Do it
Deal with it
Clean up

All in having a plan.

This would work well for what you are doing. Like others have said leave out the ammonia and bleach and substitue kitty litter or cedar chips. Also, pick up a cheap walmart plastic shower curtain, 2 curtains would be better, some cheap metal shower curtain hangers and some string or cord. Hang them aroung the improvised toilet, giving the feeling of complete privacy. Also, bring more trash bag liners than you think you will ever use. If they really like camping, they will come around to a better way of doing it as they age, more so if they are responsible for hauling that stuff after the first few trips.

M1A Shooter
07-10-2012, 19:05
As mentioned, smell's not a problem using cat litter, so I'm not understanding the need for any harsh chemicals. OTOH, I'm not leaving the contents for more than 24 hours. So for "long term storage" maybe a chemical would become necessary.

Takes more than a handful of litter, tho. More like 4 handfulls is about right, and more as needed. I'm bigger than a cat.

The price of litter varies greatly, from a few dollars a bag, to a Jackson per bag. I've been using the cheapest possible, some sort of recycled paper product.

I had read somewhere that powdered bleach was a good addition for lots of users and full buckets but I've yet to find any source selling powdered bleach.

powdered bleach is commonly sold as pool shock. just be sure to get only calcium hypochlorite and then you can use it to chemically treat drinking water as well. just dont use any shock with antifungals or similar chemicals especially if you are going to drink it. each pound of this stuff can treat up to 10k gallons of drinking water iirc.

Amazon.com: In The Swim Chlorine Pool Shock 12 X 1 lb. bags: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41oxdRirRkL.@@AMEPARAM@@41oxdRirRkL

bdcochran
07-10-2012, 19:37
You wrote "sodium hypochlorite". I think that you meant to write "calcium hypochlorite."

malleable
07-11-2012, 19:19
tagged

G29Reload
07-11-2012, 21:38

Yes, dont mix them, ever.

1. Chlorine bleach can also be used to purify water on the fly.
Don't go without it.
2. Ammonia is a little easier to deal with in cleanup. You can take a smaller quantity and even dilute 50/50 for cleanup, a little goes a long way.
3. The kitty litter idea is insane. You're trying to be portable here and talking about lugging the equivalent weight of dirt. If you want an absorptive media use dirt from whereever you are. Or better yet, just use the RV sachet, it deodorizes and will cut down on the necessity of bag changes.

M1A Shooter
07-11-2012, 21:56
You wrote "sodium hypochlorite". I think that you meant to write "calcium hypochlorite."
you are correct sir. i will edit my post. thanks for the double check.

DoctaGlockta
07-12-2012, 08:39
I'm having trouble deciding if this thread title is more interesting than EMT's 'S&P Hot Dog Cart' thread title.

Both need to be nominated for best S&P titles of all time however.

Dexters
07-12-2012, 09:09
One of my least favorite things when hiking or backpacking is taking a dump in the woods. I usually have to use the grab a tree and lean back technique. Squatting doesn't work for me.

Did you know this?
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/miscellaneous-health-and-wellness/squatting-positions

itstime
07-12-2012, 09:11

Well this saves me time. :tongueout::tongueout:

Bolster
07-17-2012, 22:36
3. The kitty litter idea is insane. You're trying to be portable here and talking about lugging the equivalent weight of dirt. If you want an absorptive media use dirt from whereever you are. Or better yet, just use the RV sachet, it deodorizes and will cut down on the necessity of bag changes.

Overstated, Reload!

The cat litter actually works well and is indeed lighter and much more absorptive than dirt. Yes I have tried both and noted the differences.

If you're backpacking or bugging out, then you're not carrying any of this, obviously. If you're in my situation, a planned several days of no facilities (think hurricane evacuation or likewise), then the litter is the cat's meow.

Substitute dirt as needed; it also works but not as well.

Have not tried the RV satchet yet.

I realize this thread is the height of frippery to some of you; however I can't help but think of the story of the man and his wife bugging out due to a hurricane warning and getting into a difficult jam when the wife urgently needed to toilet. So he stopped his truck along the (crowded) freeway and went boonie crashing with her (maybe he needed to go too) and when they returned a few minutes later, half their gear had been stolen...most seriously, their spare gasoline, some stolen and the rest spilled. A toilet stop can ruin a trip, so be prepared, however you do it.

If nothing else, take a cork.

bigmac85
07-17-2012, 22:42

+1

Maybe a little crude but this was what my female family members used when we where campin' cheap

bigmac85
07-17-2012, 22:48

bleach + ammonia= ouch, my lungs cant absorb oxygen...