Kahr p380 vs S&W Bodyguard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kahr p380 vs S&W Bodyguard

Bilbo Bagins
07-04-2012, 11:57
Anyone own either the Kahr P380 or the S&W Bodyguard, or both. Out of these two .380 pocket guns which would you recommend?

greenman19
07-04-2012, 14:50
I carry the Kahr every day and like it. It has real sights but mine shoots low if you line them up. The trigger has a smooth (albeit long) pull, like a revolver.

I have shot the S&W and it is more accurate than it has a right to be, with or without the laser. The drawback on the S&W is the trigger it is god awful hard and gets worse at the end of the stroke. A lighter main spring may solve the problem though.

Either would be a good choice.

Metal Angel
07-04-2012, 15:45
I have only shot the Khar, but it is wonderfully accurate and easy to be accurate with.

Dexters
07-04-2012, 16:27
Anyone own either the Kahr P380 or the S&W Bodyguard, or both. Out of these two .380 pocket guns which would you recommend?

Search for BG 380 Vs Sig P238 on the forums also. Someone just did a comparison - it is a difficult decision.

neilsmth
07-04-2012, 16:59
Search for BG 380 Vs Sig P238 on the forums also. Someone just did a comparison - it is a difficult decision.

Not really. The Sig is twice the gun at twice the price and they handle the same but with a long trigger pull on the BG.
I have both and on ranges day the BG stays home.

eddy t
07-04-2012, 18:40
I have both and carry both and have not had a round fail to fire in either gun. 950 rounds through the bg and 450 rounds through the kahr. I bought the bg first.
The kahr is my preference if you are willing to spend the additional money. Better built all around, are more streamline. laser is not really a plus for me on the bg, don't use it at the range.
here are the specs for both:
BG KAHR
L 5.3 4.9
H 4.1 3.9
W .8 .8
BL 2.8 2.5
SR 4.2 4.0 (SIGHT RADIUS)
WT12.3 11.3
TRG 8 5.3

PS... I HAVE TALON GRIPS ON BOTH GUNS, REALLY ENHANCES THE GRIP.

Bilbo Bagins
07-04-2012, 18:43
Not really. The Sig is twice the gun at twice the price and they handle the same but with a long trigger pull on the BG.

Funny , I have the Sig P238 and after a month I want to get rid of it. Loaded in a wallet holster that covers the safety its 1 1/2 inches thick and weighs +18 oz loaded. You better off just carrying a PM9 or a Beretta Nano :upeyes: I'm also not that impressed with an 8lb single action trigger, and I was disappointed with the so called Sig quality for a +$600 gun, with only 1 mag and the finish rubbing off the barrel after the first 50 rounds.

Its a pretty looking gun, its fun to shoot, and its reliable, but its not a great pocket gun.

Dexters
07-04-2012, 18:44

Not really, The BG is a DAO and the Sig's action is similar to the 1911.

As to price - there is only $150 difference in my area.

Berto
07-04-2012, 22:56
I like my BG 380, but it took a little work to get it right.

Nakanokalronin
07-05-2012, 09:50
Here's my review of the BG380 as well as some P238 comparison pic: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425826

Bilbo Bagins
07-05-2012, 12:18
Here's my review of the BG380 as well as some P238 comparison pic: http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425826

Thanks, that is an awesome review. Like you mentioned the Sig was suprisingly heavy for a .380 pocket gun. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting it, but carrying it in the pocket just stinks for me. I tried carrying it around unloaded and its better, so the weight of a Sig 238 unloaded is about the weight of a S&W bodyguard loaded. The Kahr P380 is a little over an ounce lighter than the S&W bodyguard, but I wonder if having a nicer Kahr trigger and shaving an extra ounce is worth the extra +$150 or so in cost.

I was critical of the Bodyguard in the past, but its been out for a while and I'm hoping all the bugs have been fixed.

Boot Stomper
07-05-2012, 17:45
IMO the Kahr has the better trigger over the Smith & Wesson, Bodyguard. The Bodyguard (my father's) I have shot has been reliable. The Kahr 380 is more expensive in my area. The Kahr design seem to be very reliable design.

For me, I would take the Kahr over the Bodyguard.

Dexters
07-05-2012, 19:26
Thanks, that is an awesome review. Like you mentioned the Sig was suprisingly heavy for a .380 pocket gun. Don't get me wrong, I like shooting it, but carrying it in the pocket just stinks for me. I tried carrying it around unloaded and its better, so the weight of a Sig 238 unloaded is about the weight of a S&W bodyguard loaded. The Kahr P380 is a little over an ounce lighter than the S&W bodyguard, but I wonder if having a nicer Kahr trigger and shaving an extra ounce is worth the extra +$150 or so in cost.

I was critical of the Bodyguard in the past, but its been out for a while and I'm hoping all the bugs have been fixed.

check out post #10 in that threat - fully loaded the difference is 2.1 oz.

Bilbo Bagins
07-05-2012, 20:48
check out post #10 in that threat - fully loaded the difference is 2.1 oz.

But when you factor in using a lightweight pocket holster that just covers the trigger vs full sized holster that covers the trigger and manual safety, now your talking 4 to 5 ounces.

Like I mentioned earlier a loaded Sig P238 in leather holster that covers the safety is as thick and heavy as a loaded Kahr PM9/CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis.

Why not buy a Bodyguard or Kahr 380, then trade in the Sig and get a Kahr or Beretta pocket 9mm.

Dexters
07-05-2012, 21:12
But when you factor in using a lightweight pocket holster that just covers the trigger vs full sized holster that covers the trigger and manual safety, now your talking 4 to 5 ounces.

Like I mentioned earlier a loaded Sig P238 in leather holster that covers the safety is as thick and heavy as a loaded Kahr PM9/CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis.

Why not buy a Bodyguard or Kahr 380, then trade in the Sig and get a Kahr or Beretta pocket 9mm.

I'm with you that every ounce counts.

I wouldn't go with the new pocket nines. My basic reasoning is that in a stress situation they have two disadvantages then the 380s related to recoil.
1 - Second shot placement & time back on target
2 - Second shot - risk of poor grip and/or limp wrist-ing and possible feeding problems

I think the great grip and isosceles triangle you see on youtube etc. would be difficult in the situations most likely to be encountered.

I think practicing one hand and other stressed grips is important.

popapeach
07-06-2012, 19:37
Sorry guys can't agree about the Kahr I red everything I could on 380's and thought the Kahr would work for me. Right out of the box FTF's but I hung in there The gun shop says got to break it in recommend 250-300 rounds it got better but every once in a while another FTF it was a nice shooter then I took a friend out to the range on a 10-15 degree early winter day and that sucker just kept failing, can't trust it went for a G26 gen 4 heavy, a little but reliable , the recoil is even lighter, I love this Gun