Losing Gun on Layaway [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Losing Gun on Layaway

Yankee2718
07-04-2012, 21:11
So I thought that I would have this gun by now, but it's looking like I never will. I put a 99% CZ40B on layaway and have $380 or so left on it. Things got tough and now it looks like I won't be able to pick it up. I have a month left, but it doesn't look good. I will have lost $140 on it. I'm super bummed out.

hogship
07-04-2012, 21:21
Credit card......loan........sell something.......if you have an ebay account and a paypal account, you could probably raise $380 in a couple weeks, just selling things around the home that you don't use anymore..........

ooc

ReyFufuRulesAll
07-04-2012, 21:24
FACT: You only need one kidney
FACT: You were born with two
?????
PROFIT!

bac1023
07-04-2012, 21:33
Very sorry to hear

The 40B is a fine pistol.

collim1
07-04-2012, 21:35
Is it a shop you do business with often? If so go talk to them. I do alot of business with a local shop and they extended my layaway on a Ruger SP101 a few weeks and didn't even charge me interest.

bac1023
07-04-2012, 21:41
Is it a shop you do business with often? If so go talk to them. I do alot of business with a local shop and they extended my layaway on a Ruger SP101 a few weeks and didn't even charge me interest.

This.

See what you can do. The 40B isn't a pistol that comes up for sale all that often.

There must be something you can work out.

ctfireman
07-04-2012, 21:44
At least ask to use the $140 as store credit so you don't lose.

collim1
07-04-2012, 21:45
If nothing else see if they'll keep the gun and give you the $140 in store credit. Atleast you would get some ammo out of it and not just lose the money.

bigdough666
07-04-2012, 21:51
I second what these guys are saying - go talk to them and see if they will help you out someway, either an extension or store credit. I'm fortunate enough to know the owner of my local gun shop.

bac1023
07-04-2012, 22:48
Most shops will work with you in some way.

Bruce M
07-05-2012, 05:59
I would guess that if you can continue to keep paying something regularly they would extend the layaway if they are decent people.

stolenphot0
07-05-2012, 08:11
Sorry you're on hard times and may miss out on a purchase, but check your state's layaway laws, you may not lose all your money either.

MrGlock21
07-06-2012, 22:17
Is it an online dealer or local?

bac1023
07-07-2012, 04:09
I would guess that if you can continue to keep paying something regularly they would extend the layaway if they are decent people.

:agree:

Yankee2718
07-07-2012, 09:55
It's a local dealer. I have until Aug 5 so I'm going to see what I can do, but it doesn't look good right now.

Stevekozak
07-07-2012, 11:14
It's a local dealer. I have until Aug 5 so I'm going to see what I can do, but it doesn't look good right now.
Hell, dude, go to a temp agency and work a little part time after your regular job or on weekends. You can definately make the $380 in a months time, without too much effort!!

Jason D
07-07-2012, 17:05
They can't just keep your money if you can't finish paying for the gun.
If they say they can't give it back or quote store policy, or even offer you partial store credit. They are full of fecal matter.

They can however charge you a fee for restocking and whatnot.

Go in there and feed them a line about whatever you want. Just don't roll over and let them keep your money.

bac1023
07-07-2012, 17:21

I would never buy a thing from that dealer again.

That's ridiculous.

Stevekozak
07-07-2012, 17:49
I would never buy a thing from that dealer again.

That's ridiculous.
Do you know something that this thread doesn't say? From what I read here, the dude put a gun on layaway, now he is deciding that he cannot pay for it. It does not appear that he has tried to make any additional special arrangements..... How does this make the dealer a bad person? Again, if you know something additional that makes it true, then that is ok, but I wish you would share. :)

To me, if you put something on layaway, you are saying to the business owner, "hey, I am going to buy this, please extend me some time so that I may do so." If you later decide that you cannot pay for it, then it is you that have made a blunder, not the business owner. Like I said earlier, there are things the dude could do to come up with the money if he wants it bad enough. I hear enough whining from the welfare recipients at my job about how life has not handed them everything they want.

Huh....that sounded a bit like a rant.... :wavey::embarassed:

bac1023
07-07-2012, 19:03
He should be able to use the cash towards something the store.

No shop I frequent would just screw a guy out of the money. It was a layaway, yes, but things happen sometimes.

bsg1
07-07-2012, 19:35
if you are sure that you won't be able to turn the deal by the deadline... go speak to the dealer now; don't wait until the due date to deal with this. i believe the irritation factor will be less at both ends of the deal if a potential plan B can be orchestrated... in advance of the deadline.

this transaction may not be over yet; the key to a happy ending or the next best thing may be your willingness to communicate in a forthright manner... now. you never know... the dealer may offer you an extended layaway on this purchase. don't call on the phone; go in person.

JTBTACTICAL
07-07-2012, 21:10
I agree. Go talk to them. They are more likely to help you out and keep a repeat customer than to just pocket your cash and say have a nice life.

Yankee2718
07-07-2012, 23:11
I think I'm going to go on Thursday and offer to put some more money down on it and see if I can get something worked out. This is already my 2nd gun from them under new management.

bsg1
07-07-2012, 23:22
I think I'm going to go on Thursday and offer to put some more money down on it and see if I can get something worked out. This is already my 2nd gun from them under new management.

it's always best to bring something to the table when you sit down to eat; good plan.

bac1023
07-08-2012, 03:33

Good luck with it

ChicagoZman
07-08-2012, 07:44
If you make a reasonable offer to extend the layaway, the store will work with you (e.g. put more more down, extend the time frame for purchase). The store I sometimes work at will always try and accommodate the customer unless they simply string us along by making promises and never following up. Even then we will offer refunds in keeping with policy (i.e. less the restocking fee) or offer 100% store credit.

Good luck

bsg1
07-13-2012, 21:55
update?

bac1023
07-14-2012, 03:04
I was wondering myself...

redman797
07-14-2012, 21:52
So just a thought,

Someone here pays the rest off the layaway off, and have the pawn shop ship it to an FFL in their area. They have the gun and hold onto it. When your ready to pay the rest to that person, you send him the money, and then he sends the gun to an FFL near you. Someone here must have always wanted to shoot one and have the time to help someone out?

Im sure if you agree to also pay the other person interest, kind of like a loan, someone here must be willing to help you out?

Just a thought?

Its no illegal, just a hassle, but maybe someone can work something out with yah?

I know how it can be, $140 lost is a BIG deal to anyone, I yell everytime im charged an atm fee...

Yankee2718
07-14-2012, 23:32
Update...
I went into the store and I talked to the sales clerk that originally put the gun on layaway for me. He told me that if it came down to it and I couldn't pick it up he would try to get the manager/owner to extend the layaway. If that fails he said that he would try get the manager/owner to allow him to buy the gun himself (since he is in the market for one anyways) only if he could get the manager to give me store credit for the $140 I already paid on it. That would eliminate a restocking fee.

I figure that is better than losing my $. Just have to see what the next couple weeks brings and if I can find the choppy to bring that CZ40B home.

Yankee2718
07-14-2012, 23:34
So just a thought,

Someone here pays the rest off the layaway off, and have the pawn shop ship it to an FFL in their area. They have the gun and hold onto it. When your ready to pay the rest to that person, you send him the money, and then he sends the gun to an FFL near you. Someone here must have always wanted to shoot one and have the time to help someone out?

Im sure if you agree to also pay the other person interest, kind of like a loan, someone here must be willing to help you out?

Just a thought?

Its no illegal, just a hassle, but maybe someone can work something out with yah?

I know how it can be, $140 lost is a BIG deal to anyone, I yell everytime im charged an atm fee...

That isn't a horrible idea either.

dnuggett
07-15-2012, 00:25
That isn't a horrible idea either.

Sent you an email. I'll buy you some time on it if you want to take me up on the deal.. it is similar to Redman797's idea.. but with firm dates and outcomes.

dnuggett
07-15-2012, 00:40
Actually, sent you a PM- don't see an email option for you.

RedsoxFan4Lyfe
07-15-2012, 18:11
He should be able to use the cash towards something the store.

No shop I frequent would just screw a guy out of the money. It was a layaway, yes, but things happen sometimes.

THIS

Our shop is constantly taking things off layaway or swapping the money to another gun, or store credit. They are our customers and some of them are like family and we do whatever we can to make things right for everyone involved. Someone else will buy the gun once its off layaway and back in the display case, they always do. Everything sells eventually.

The thought of someone losing their money on a layaway is almost laughable. Except it's downright sickening in so many ways.

01coltcolt
07-15-2012, 19:06
Do you know something that this thread doesn't say? From what I read here, the dude put a gun on layaway, now he is deciding that he cannot pay for it. It does not appear that he has tried to make any additional special arrangements..... How does this make the dealer a bad person? Again, if you know something additional that makes it true, then that is ok, but I wish you would share. :)

To me, if you put something on layaway, you are saying to the business owner, "hey, I am going to buy this, please extend me some time so that I may do so." If you later decide that you cannot pay for it, then it is you that have made a blunder, not the business owner. Like I said earlier, there are things the dude could do to come up with the money if he wants it bad enough. I hear enough whining from the welfare recipients at my job about how life has not handed them everything they want.

Huh....that sounded a bit like a rant.... :wavey::embarassed:

I am in 100% agreeance. The item has been tied up for how long? The business invested how much money in it? It may have sold by now. Its not screwing the OP out of his money. He agreed to a orangment in witch the shop was doing him a favor/service. He is failing to keep his end of the deal. Right? enough said!