Standard 1911 safety with left hand...? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard 1911 safety with left hand...?

Metal Angel
07-04-2012, 22:16
How do you work the safety on a standard non-ambi 1911 when using left hand only?

AKRover
07-04-2012, 22:35
I recently purchased my first 1911 (a Colt Delta Elite) and since I'm a left handed shooter I have been trying to figure out the same thing. I usually end up using my right hand to reach across and operate the safety. I'm installing an ambidextrous safety on my gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

fnfalman
07-04-2012, 23:44
Use your left thumb to cross over and flick off the safety lever. This technique works well with non-beavertail grip safety.

Lior
07-04-2012, 23:49
My opinion:
Ideally, a left handed shooter should not carry a non-ambi 1911 for self defense cocked and locked. It is quicker to rack a round than manipulate the safety. Aftermarket ambi safeties are the way to go.

m14fan
07-05-2012, 17:09
Depends on holster.I had a holster I could pop the safety off as I drew,but you had better be careful doing that.It's best to add an ambi safety.

silversport
07-06-2012, 07:14
My opinion:
Ideally, a left handed shooter should not carry a non-ambi 1911 for self defense cocked and locked. It is quicker to rack a round than manipulate the safety. Aftermarket ambi safeties are the way to go.

I agree with this...it's not impossible to do...or even real hard to do but I don't trust being able to do it when stressed...no issue with an ambi-safety in my experience...

Bill

fnfalman
07-06-2012, 07:48
If you're going to equip your pistol with an ambi safety then make sure you get a good one from a good manufacturer that is well known for making ambi safety where the right side doesn't work loose.

Wyoming
07-06-2012, 08:15
You don't.

If you are thinking about using a 1911 for CCW you will need an ambidextrous safety. All mine have them. You can buy one but it will need to be fitted. Not hard to do if you know how.

Standard 1911 for range shooting you just shoot it form slide lock to slide lock. It is very easy for lefty to release the slide by using trigger finger.

If you are carrying a 1911 then condition three fastest and safest. (empty chamber). You just draw and rack slide with right hand.