Being approached in your car. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Being approached in your car.

funky2714
07-05-2012, 09:08
In my area, car jackings have been on the rise. I carry every day, all day. When I am in my car, I usually have my pistol accessible but not in plain site.

My question is, if an individual is approaching my car, and I then access my weapon and have it in hand, or say sitting on the center console with my hand on it, might this present a problem? Am I allowed to be at the ready in case of a problem, or do I need to wait until there IS a problem to access my weapon.

I had a situation at night where some jerk was tailgating me, going left and right in my rear view mirror. After about 2 miles of this crap, I pulled over to let him go by and instead he pulled over behind me and got out of his car. Instead of letting a situation occur that could have escalated into very bad situation, I just pulled back onto the road and left. However, about a half mile down the road, I hit a red light and had another car in front of me. He gets out of his car again. At this point, I'm figuring this guy is having a road rage issue. I have my firearm in hand on the center console. I could not tell if he had a weapon or not when looking in the rear view mirror. He approached the car and was yelling and was banging on the window telling me to roll it down. He appeared drunk. But he had a very sobering moment when he noticed I had a handgun in my hand on the center console. He became very meek at that point and returned to his car. I never pointed the gun at him, simply had it at the ready. Did I do anything wrong?? Some say I could have been in trouble because he could have returned to his car, called the police, and gave them my license plate # and said I had a gun and threatened him with it.

I am just looking for the best way I could have handled this without totally leaving myself vulnerable.

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
07-05-2012, 11:54
"Some say" is often a BS alert, but in this case, the "some" are absolutely correct. I've seen lots of cases where the road rager in this situation "won the race to the telephone" and made a complaint about being threatened with a gun. This results in a role reversal in which the suspect becomes the victim-complainant, and the intended victim (you) becomes the suspect.

DEFINITELY be the first to call in when you believe you're being followed or stalked by someone in a state of "road rage."

Options: always come to a stop with the bottom of the tires and bumpers of the car ahead of you visible through your windshield. This gives you enough room to accelerate and clear the scene when being approached aggressively by a suspect on foot, assuming you can do so without crashing into oncoming traffic or running over a pedestrian on the crosswalk.

It's possible to rig a holster under the dashboard where you can reach it quickly without having it visibly in hand. (What you want to have in your non-dominant hand is a cell phone already contacting 9-1-1.) A shoulder or cross draw rig, ankle holster, or an appendix holster, may be more accessible than a conventional hip holster when driving, particularly in bucket seats. It is possible to slip the gun out of the console and hide it under the thigh, but this introduces safety issues, including the fact that if you have to maneuver the vehicle suddenly to escape, the gun may be dislodged and become inaccessible.

No easy answers. Best advice: next time, call it in immediately.

Glad you got out of that situation OK,
Mas

funky2714
07-06-2012, 12:55
[QUOTE=Mas Ayoob;19165228]

DEFINITELY be the first to call in when you believe you're being followed or stalked by someone in a state of "road rage."

As much as I hate to say it, I did not have a functioning cell phone with me and it really drives me CRAZY! I am insanely anal with my wife and kids when it comes to always having a full charge on the cell phone when you leave the house. This is literally the one time my cell was dead and had no means of charging it in the car. AND WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT!!!!!! It was the one time I needed the phone for an emergency!!

In retrospect however, I should have called as soon as I got home, and, at the time, had I thought of the fact that he could call the authorities on me , I most certainly would have. The thought just never entered my mind until it was brought to my attention by some people that I had explained the situation to in the days to follow.

Its a lesson learned. I still FUME however, over the fact that the one day my phone was dead was the day that I truly needed it!!