Sig Sauer C/S SUCKS [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer C/S SUCKS

Yankee2718
07-05-2012, 09:39
I just called Sig in reference to replacing the firing pin positioning pin in my P229. The guy was rude and told me that it would cost $50 to replace the pin! He said that because I bought the gun used there was no warranty as I was not the original owner. On top of that he wanted to charge me $50 for shipping. He said he could ship the slide only for $14.95.

He started talking all condescending to me about how people who don't normally work on guns can't typically fix them and that's why their gunsmiths can fix it. I also asked about repainting the rear sight while it was there. He said they would replace the sight and charge me another $38!!!! I asked him why they don't stand by their products like Glock. He just kept repeating over and over that I wasn't the original owner.

I like their guns but stuff like that really turns me off.:steamed::steamed:

Yankee2718
07-05-2012, 09:42
Every time I try something other than Glock it is never the same.....

Beretta92guy
07-05-2012, 10:17
If that clown ever loses his job at SIG he would fit right in at a gun shop working behind the counter.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G26S239
07-05-2012, 10:20
There are certain parts that Glock will only sell to certified armorers as well. You have to buy such parts from Lonewolf or another such vendor. Instead of carping about why Sig won't fix a gun bought used for free why don't you just order the part? http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p229-gun-parts/

fnfalman
07-05-2012, 10:22
You bought a used gun. Why should factory warranty from the original owner transfer to you if that wasn't in SIG's policy?

Novocaine
07-05-2012, 10:26
Their so called gunsmiths can't install the breechblock spring pin properly. SIG been on my blacklist for a while.

Yankee2718
07-05-2012, 10:31
The guy offered to sell me the part. He said there was no warranty to void so I could do it myself. I could understand a couple bucks to cover the part cost and shipping, but $45 to replace a single pin is excessive. They should stand by their products on small issues like that.

If you take your gun to Glock, their armorer looks it over and replaces parts for FREE. The only thing I have ever been charged for was night sights. One time I had to get some magazine springs replaced. I gave the guy 8 magazines to check the springs. I left with 11 magazines, free of charge. He said they had been used one time for a promo shoot. They even gave me a hat and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't expect Sig to do the same, but comping the labor would be a nice touch. I think 14.95 fro shipping and $10 for the part and labor is more reasonable. Not $65 total.

mr00jimbo
07-05-2012, 10:32
You bought a used gun. Why should factory warranty from the original owner transfer to you if that wasn't in SIG's policy?

Well, they don't have to, but you figure if you buy a thousand dollar gun, the company would stand behind it like less expensive guns such as Glock or Springfield Armory (the lower end 1911s are a lot cheaper than Sig, as are the XDs)

G26S239
07-05-2012, 10:59
So you could have bought the pin and an Armourers DVD and replaced it yourself within what you consider a reasonable price range. Why don't you do that?
Why does the firing pin positioning pin need to be replaced?

brisk21
07-05-2012, 11:05
The guy offered to sell me the part. He said there was no warranty to void so I could do it myself. I could understand a couple bucks to cover the part cost and shipping, but $45 to replace a single pin is excessive. They should stand by their products on small issues like that.

If you take your gun to Glock, their armorer looks it over and replaces parts for FREE. The only thing I have ever been charged for was night sights. One time I had to get some magazine springs replaced. I gave the guy 8 magazines to check the springs. I left with 11 magazines, free of charge. He said they had been used one time for a promo shoot. They even gave me a hat and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't expect Sig to do the same, but comping the labor would be a nice touch. I think 14.95 fro shipping and $10 for the part and labor is more reasonable. Not $65 total.

Yeah this is part of why Glock is just better. Peroid.

m2hmghb
07-05-2012, 11:13
Which pin is it? The one forced in with a hydraulic press or the one that has dual roll pins in it? If it's the one forced in by a press you'll find out why they charge so much.

Yankee2718
07-05-2012, 11:15
So you could have bought the pin and an Armourers DVD and replaced it yourself within what you consider a reasonable price range. Why don't you do that?
Why does the firing pin positioning pin need to be replaced?

The pin broke in half. I know how to get the pin out and install a new one, but the pin won't come out. Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but those pins go in left to right, and come out right to left.

Yankee2718
07-05-2012, 11:15
Which pin is it? The one forced in with a hydraulic press or the one that has dual roll pins in it? If it's the one forced in by a press you'll find out why they charge so much.

The one forced in by a press.

fastbolt
07-05-2012, 11:31
One of the problems with buying used pistols nowadays is that you don't know if the original owner (and maybe other, subsequent previous owners) felt they were some sort of armorer or gunsmith and have been 'working" on the guns. :whistling:

If the solid-style pin snapped, the thing to wonder is why it's broken? Did the previous owner(s) do something that caused it? Is this even the original pin? Was it already removed & replaced? If so, was it done properly, or has the corresponding shelf on the firing pin been damaged?

If it's a used gun, why not simply invest the money and send it to Sig and let them examine the gun (looking for other wear, damage, etc) while performing one of their Service Packages? http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/CUSTOMSHOP_pricelist_03-12.pdf

Yes, you could probably order a DVD on the market and the parts and "do it yourself", but throughout the years I've attended various armorer classes & recerts I've seen more students make mistakes during the classes than I can remember ... and that was with the advantages of having a factory armorer manual open in front of them, plus their own written notes, after having watched an instructor demonstrate something, and having the instructor present to observe and correct mistakes made using the company supplied guns for training.

The Sig service packages would seem to be a good deal for a used gun ...

faawrenchbndr
07-05-2012, 11:31
^^^^^^^.........what He said.

G26S239
07-05-2012, 11:34
The pin broke in half. I know how to get the pin out and install a new one, but the pin won't come out. Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but those pins go in left to right, and come out right to left.
Yeah they are directional. Fastbolt's recommendation is a good one. The SSP will get the sights changed to night sights as well.

Aurora
07-05-2012, 12:54
It's just part of the risk of buying used. I don't blame SIG at all, though the employee's attitude is out of line. I guess that's common with gun people, though.

V.

Beanie-Bean
07-05-2012, 13:05
I've had really good service from SIG the two times I've had to call on them for help.

1. One of the tritium lamps was burned out on the rear sight of my P238HD. They sent a postage label via e-mail, and I had the slide back in about two weeks. No charge there, either.

2. I recently purchased a P229 LE trade-in, and sent it over to SIG Custom Shop for the SSP, SRT, and E2 grip installation. They installed night sights as part of the SSP, too. Came back about a week and a half later with all the old springs and pieces in a ziploc bag, along with the old beat-up grips, and an E2 grip removal tool. The thing runs like a champ, now, too.

Sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you with your pistol. I hope you can get her up and running soon!

Cobra64
07-05-2012, 16:30
There are certain parts that Glock will only sell to certified armorers as well. You have to buy such parts from Lonewolf or another such vendor. Instead of carping about why Sig won't fix a gun bought used for free why don't you just order the part? http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sauer-p229-gun-parts/

:agree:

Here's a copy of an order I placed with Top Gun Supply a few years ago after running about 5k rounds through my P220ST (which I bought brand new years prior):

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2/Davis1950/Weapons/Sig%20Sauer%20Guns/P220DetailStripParts.jpg

The part he wants to replace costs $3.95 + shipping.

If the OP owned a BMW he'd go ape-sh1t at the cost of an oil change. :tongueout:

Cobra64
07-05-2012, 16:54

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_516FO1dMVAs/S_svk9Ut5kI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/VMtyym515Xg/s1600/funny_kids_pictures_25.jpg

Take that Sig!

I get free stuff from Glock!

:rofl:

MarcDW
07-05-2012, 18:04
1. Glock can be this way because Glock pistols hardly break!
So the rare cases compare to the numbers sold Glock can be really generous.
2. Sig Sauer is a sad story! In the 80's they were the leaders.
Now they are something else with "L".

Bruce M
07-05-2012, 18:05
Sounds like ordering the pin for four dollars is the better choice. Hope you can get it functioning again.

The_Gun_Guru
07-05-2012, 18:11
I like their guns but stuff like that really turns me off.:steamed::steamed:

Just be thankful he spoke FREAKIN ENGLISH!!!! Most of the CS people I speak to these days are FREAKIN IMMIGRANTS!!!!

Welcome to the "new world"!:rofl:

TGG:steamed:

donovan655
07-05-2012, 19:49
DIY repair and maintenance is a clear Glock advantage.

Premium guns can be a big gamble in my opinion.

silversport
07-06-2012, 07:03
One of the problems with buying used pistols nowadays is that you don't know if the original owner (and maybe other, subsequent previous owners) felt they were some sort of armorer or gunsmith and have been 'working" on the guns. :whistling:

If the solid-style pin snapped, the thing to wonder is why it's broken? Did the previous owner(s) do something that caused it? Is this even the original pin? Was it already removed & replaced? If so, was it done properly, or has the corresponding shelf on the firing pin been damaged?

If it's a used gun, why not simply invest the money and send it to Sig and let them examine the gun (looking for other wear, damage, etc) while performing one of their Service Packages? http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/CUSTOMSHOP_pricelist_03-12.pdf

Yes, you could probably order a DVD on the market and the parts and "do it yourself", but throughout the years I've attended various armorer classes & recerts I've seen more students make mistakes during the classes than I can remember ... and that was with the advantages of having a factory armorer manual open in front of them, plus their own written notes, after having watched an instructor demonstrate something, and having the instructor present to observe and correct mistakes made using the company supplied guns for training.

The Sig service packages would seem to be a good deal for a used gun ...

...as always...excellent advice from fastbolt and faawrenchbndr for agreeing with him ;) ...

Bill

SigFTW
07-06-2012, 07:50
I don't know what Sigs customer service is like, because I have never had a problem with my Sigs (new and Used).:whistling:

fnfalman
07-06-2012, 07:50
Just be thankful he spoke FREAKIN ENGLISH!!!! Most of the CS people I speak to these days are FREAKIN IMMIGRANTS!!!!

Welcome to the "new world"!:rofl:

TGG:steamed:

No habla ingles.

H&K 4 LIFE
07-06-2012, 08:01
I had the opposite experience with SIG CS.

The TFO front sight on my uncles P229 lost the fiber optic bead. I called SIG and they said I could perform the sight replacement myself, and that they would send me the replacement sight free of charge.

When I got the sight in the mail, I quickly realized I was unable to get the old sight out of the slide because it fit so tightly. Not wanting to damage the pistol, I called SIG back and explained the situation.

Without hesitation SIG then sent me a pre-paid shipping label via email and I sent the slide and sight in for installation. I was quoted a 2-3 week turnaround time. I got it back within 10 days.

Not only did I not pay a single penny for the sight, labor to install it or shipping there and back, SIG never asked me if the pistol was new, used, or even if I was the owner (which I wasn't). I don't even own a single SIG product.

In summation, the sight got replaced free of charge no questions asked. Great CS in my opinion.