which .22 pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : which .22 pistol

win
07-05-2012, 09:49
My daughter is in the market for a .22 per dad's request.
Which is a good .22 pistol for young shooters. She wants a pink one.
I see the M22 glock clone has a pink version. Also the Sig Mosquito has a pink model. But I must say the ruger sr22 really looks like a great gun for the money.
Any thoughts on these guns or do you have any better ideas.
thanks for your thoughts

stolenphot0
07-05-2012, 09:57
How old is she? I say you can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark series and others say the Buckmark. I tried the Mosquito with my 9yr old and the trigger pull was too long for her. While being heavier, the pull on the Mark III 22/45 was perfect for her and my 7 year old daughter.

win
07-05-2012, 10:00
My daughter is 7. Not that big in to shooting. I hope to change that. The 22/45 might be a great choice. I hope this will be a life gift for her.
thanks again

JaPes
07-05-2012, 10:08
A MKIII Standard 4.75". Get some pink grip panels.

stolenphot0
07-05-2012, 10:19
My daughter is 7. Not that big in to shooting. I hope to change that. The 22/45 might be a great choice. I hope this will be a life gift for her.
thanks again

My 7 year old shoots with a rest under her hands, but aims on her own. She really gets into shooting now, and loves it when she is hitting bulls eye. I prefer the more traditional grip of the Marks, but I took my 9 year old to pick the gun, and she chose the 22/45. Makes them happy, so I am happy with it. I added a fiber optic front sight not too long ago and they like it even more now.

win
07-05-2012, 10:38
whats your thoughts on the ruger mk1.

stolenphot0
07-05-2012, 11:31
I love the Mark I. I'm biased because it was the first pistol I ever shot and it belonged to my grandpa. I now have it (a 1979 model) that wasn't cleaned in 30+ years if ever and it functioned almost flawlessly. I had to order a new recoil assembly because it wouldn't cycle properly. If you can find one, I say buy it.

The Mark III seems to eat any ammo I run in it so far, and I am sure that the Mark I will once again. I need to take it out soon and make sure the RSA was indeed the problem.

win
07-05-2012, 11:47
It seem the buckmark and the ruger mk1 2 and 3 eat ammo with out problem.
I read and watch some videos on the other 22 out and it seems that they can be more picky. I shoot mainly the cheap stuff. The last thing I want to do is start buying different ammo for differ 22.
thanks again

stolenphot0
07-05-2012, 11:54
No problem. I steered clear of Buckmarks because I didn't want to need a tool to field strip. I didn't really realize I needed a flat head screw driver to pop the Mark III free every time.

4Rules
07-05-2012, 12:03
With a seven year old, hand size is likely to be an issue. The Ruger MK pistols are probably too large this application. The Walther P22 is pretty small, and the Ruger Bearcat is very small.

poodleplumber
07-05-2012, 12:38
The Beretta Neos has very small grips, and pink grips can be had. She might like the styling. Mine (sans pink grips) is extremely reliable and accurate.

Highspeedlane
07-05-2012, 16:27
I highly recommend the Ruger Mk series.

Not to be a nay sayer, but there are two guys I work with that bought the Sig Mosquito. One seems to have gotten his running but after much tinkering and he seems stuck with one brand of ammo (CCI standard vel).

The other guy can't get his running no matter what he uses. Every mag there is a failure of some sort. He's mentioned to me several times he wishes he hadn't bought it.

That said, do some research, get some feedback and good luck whichever your choice is.

bac1023
07-05-2012, 17:17
The Ruger Mark series is outstanding.

win
07-05-2012, 17:18
will the MK I and MK II take the same mag?
thanks

oldnoob
07-05-2012, 17:32
Also how big is her hand. I think Beretta Neos is perfect for small frame shooter. Very slime frame and very easy to operate. And it come with pink grip insert.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Beretta-Neos/DSC04576.jpg

Bruce M
07-05-2012, 17:41
I have no experience with one but from what I have read here I would avoid the Mosquito.

Jason D
07-05-2012, 18:46
A young shooter may not have an easy time pulling the trigger on some guns, so having a nice trigger is a plus. Being so young weight is also an issue as a MK pistol can weigh in as much as a full sized .45. Therefore something light weight and polymer would probably be called for.

I would also be thinking about a gun that a small person could grow into. She may be small now, but want something bigger later.

If I were to give a gun to a 7 year old.
I would be thinking about a MKIII 22/45, and might even go so far as to pick up one with the new aluminum upper. The polymer lower can be painted or dyed pink or whatever, and you can still put a really nice trigger in it. It may be on the heavy side at the beginning, but it's a gun she could grow with.

win
07-05-2012, 18:55
thats kinda what I was thinking? Is the aluminum upper model called the LITE?
I was looking at the 22/45 and some looked to have grip panels and some did not.
Is this a model thing or am I just seeing things?
If I were to have the frame colored what method would you suggest?
thanks again

hogship
07-05-2012, 18:59
will the MK I and MK II take the same mag?
thanks

Don't know for sure, but I'd be willing to bet the MKI magazine will not fit the MKII, or MKIII. I do know that the MKIII magazine will fit the MKII, but not the other way around!

ooc

nathanours
07-05-2012, 19:03
I just got a new MKIII and love it. The first time out I put an entire box of wwb 555 through it without a single jam. Great little gun, and it was only $300 new.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/glock19_9mm/IMAG0174-1.jpg

win
07-05-2012, 19:05
the LITE is the aluminum upper. I was hoping the MK I and II would use the same mag but I knew the MK III was different and 22/45 is different again.

stolenphot0
07-06-2012, 09:57
I was looking at the 22/45 and some looked to have grip panels and some did not.
thanks again
The base, cheapest 22/45 is a 1-piece grip, but some of the others have grip panels. I have the SS target version, which apparently isn't offered anymore?

My 7 year old is small for her age, and loves the 22/45. To make the Mark III even better, I removed the mag safety and polished the sear and hammer a little. It really makes a world of difference.

The only other polymer pistol I would recommend would be a Glock 19/23 with an AA kit, but that makes it an expensive, ammo picky option. My girls love it too though, and it is light enough my 7yr old doesn't need a rest.

RedHaze
07-06-2012, 10:15
Know any little girls who don't love horseys?

Now she can be a real cowgirl!

http://rossauction.com/topics/guns/albums/gun/full/48_3.jpg

Just_plinking
07-06-2012, 10:30
I just got a new MKIII and love it. The first time out I put an entire box of wwb 555 through it without a single jam. Great little gun, and it was only $300 new.

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/glock19_9mm/IMAG0174-1.jpg

sweet looking gun!

stolenphot0
07-06-2012, 10:57
Know any little girls who don't love horseys?

Now she can be a real cowgirl!

http://rossauction.com/topics/guns/albums/gun/full/48_3.jpg
What is that little thing? My girls would be all over that!

Rinconjoe
07-06-2012, 11:12

I have seven yr. old and ten both girls shoot the mark 3hunter no problems the sig mis. Did't Like kept having feed cam problems

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

stolenphot0
07-06-2012, 11:20
I have seven yr. old and ten both girls shoot the mark 3hunter no problems the sig mis. Did't Like kept having feed cam problems

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Yeah my girls are both excellent shots with the Mark III. I just wondered if that would be another cheap, fun gun for them to take with us.

The_Gun_Guru
07-06-2012, 13:39
Has anyone mentioned the Walther P22?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411548697

I love mine (it's NOT pink though!:rofl:) and can't wait till my kids are old enough to start shooting with me. I bought the P22 because it has a threaded barrel and I wanted to eventually add a suppressor.....and did just that in May! I should have my tax stamp in October, according to the NFATracker.

I am also looking at the Ruger LITE, which also has a threaded barrel.

As for the Sig and the Glock clone.....I have heard UNFAVORABLE reviews....just FYI.

TGG

hogship
07-06-2012, 13:49

That's a Pink Heritage 22 single action.........

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/293545000/293545149/pix496809763.jpg

hogship
07-06-2012, 14:10
BTW: I originally bought my first son a Ruger Bearcat......great little revolver, but the problem with that, just as it is for single shot rifles, is both boys grew tired of reloading very quickly. The single action and single shot guns are great for first time shooters, but kids are only "first time shooters" just ONCE. I learned the hard way.....after buying single shot rifles and single action revolvers for my boys, and then finding out what really turns them on is SHOOTING A LOT.........for my boys, learning to shoot as accurate as possible came later, but making coke cans dance, is where you can turn on the smiles!

My second son still started with a single shot rifle, and that's not a bad thing, but by then the Bearcat was sold, and he started out with the Ruger MKII his brother had been shooting.........that's when the "light bulb" turned on. He still started out with a single shot rifle, but after one range trip, he began shooting the Ruger 10/22, and the fun really started at that point.

If there is one suggestion I can give........get a semi automatic 22 pistol and rifle........they will start out their shooting experience having FUN first. Once they learn some basic safety habits, and are all smiles and can't wait to go shooting again.......THEN hit them with trigger control, technique, etc...........

Both of my boys turned out to be excellent shots, and it's not so easy to outshoot them! They both wanted to learn to shoot accurately with time........

For whatever it's worth, if I had it all to do over again, I'd start a kid out with a semi-automatic 22 pistol and rifle.......and, once they're hooked on the fun......THEN, work on marksmanship.........

ooc

win
07-06-2012, 14:54
thank you I think thats a very good point. I find my self over correction both my kids. I need to just let them safely have fun and do what you did.
thanks again great point of view

stolenphot0
07-06-2012, 15:12
That's a Pink Heritage 22 single action.........

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/293545000/293545149/pix496809763.jpg

thanks. I'll have to weigh the fact it's a Heritage. I've read some bad reviews on their pistols.

63bmechanic
07-06-2012, 15:57
i found the p22 due to it looking similar to the "big" gun as he put it made getting my nephew into shooting much easier. plus its just fun to shoot, and w/ a slide change shoots 380ACP so it isnt a bad carry piece either. the sr22 looks pretty nice and would give a similar effect as stated above as well.

Jason D
07-06-2012, 17:32
thanks again

It looks like most of those have already been answered.
I'm not sure on the color. I know that there are weapon's grade paint kits you can get from Brownells. I have also heard of people dyeing their guns, but I think those were from a lighter color to a darker one.

You could use something like Krylon Fushion which is specifically for polymers. However if the frame is made from Nylon 66, most painting won't work and that includes the Krylon.

Since the Ruger lower is not considered the gun. You can mail that off and have it professionally done. You may want to contact www.lauerweaponry.com and see if the duracoat product would work.