Use of Force: Hollywood vs Reality [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Use of Force: Hollywood vs Reality

Sam Spade
07-05-2012, 10:25
http://www.forcescience.org/hollywoodvsreality.html

Sam Spade
07-05-2012, 10:29
And to quote another poster: "Not too hard to relate it to carry issues. Anyone who chooses to carry a firearm, or other weapon, and uses it, will go through many of the same processes. They're all homicides."

series1811
07-05-2012, 12:42
Looks like Hollywood is winning again. :supergrin:

Cavalry Doc
07-05-2012, 16:35
In Texas, all homicides go to the grand jury.

Hollywood does make things difficult. I'm giving a lecture on wound ballistics and selection of defensive handguns, and I think about a third of it will be trying to dispel Hollywood myths. People do not get blown back 6 feet with a 44 magnum, people do not die instantly. They don't sit and give you words of wisdom then just go limp. The only round that I have seen that stopped a person instantly every time, were direct hits with 40mm grenades, and those are too heavy to carry around every day.

One thing they didn't cover, on TV, someone shoots someone, and is still on the investigation 20 minutes later.

Deaf Smith
07-05-2012, 18:07
Aw heck man... their SA revolvers are 60 shooters, the 'Homie stance' is a sign of toughness, and running with their gun in both hands (either right by their heads or between their legs) is SOP.

Hollywood is, uh, Hollywood. By definition it is fake.

Deaf

Misty02
07-06-2012, 09:15
I'm sharing this one! :wavey:

scottydl
07-07-2012, 00:06
Hollywood is, uh, Hollywood. By definition it is fake.

You'd think people would know that. But for many members of society, DirecTV and Dish Network are the only outside contact they have with the "real world" ... so it must be true, right? :upeyes:

RussP
07-07-2012, 07:31
People do not get blown back 6 feet with a 44 magnum, people do not die instantly.Depending on shot placement, parts of them might... :whistling:

Sorry, Doc, I had to... :cool:

Cavalry Doc
07-07-2012, 07:49
Depending on shot placement, parts of them might... :whistling:

Sorry, Doc, I had to... :cool:

Melon shots due tend to spray, but

Myths Revisited 2 - Blown Away - YouTube

Gallium
07-26-2012, 17:32
Good reminder.

Caver 60
07-26-2012, 19:54
Good thread. Thanks Sam. Lot's of people (I know no one on Glocktalk does) don't realize that a 'dead man' can still kill you. Lot's of people forget about the dead mans 'five seconds'.

Most hunters have seen a deer run 10 to 40 yards and even jump a fence (like I have) when their heart has literally been blown to small pieces with a centerfire rifle hit that also broke the off leg.

Imagine what a drugged up individual could do in that five seconds after a puny handgun hit, even from a dreaded 10mm.

ETA Being a retired military pilot, I can well appreciate the fact that sometimes you only have seconds (or less) to make life or death decisions.

Yet the investigative agency has days, weeks, or even months to analyze your actions and decide if you did right or wrong. Doesn't matter if you're alive or dead, they're going to look at everything and figure out what you did, or should have, or should not have done.

nomadrider
08-10-2012, 07:43
That was good.

SCmasterblaster
09-07-2012, 12:34
I wonder if all homicides go to a grand jury in the twin states? :upeyes:

TXPamIAm
02-17-2013, 22:22
-----

Tazz10m
03-06-2013, 21:58
Excellent!

SCmasterblaster
11-26-2013, 14:25
Good thread. Thanks Sam. Lot's of people (I know no one on Glocktalk does) don't realize that a 'dead man' can still kill you. Lot's of people forget about the dead mans 'five seconds'.

Most hunters have seen a deer run 10 to 40 yards and even jump a fence (like I have) when their heart has literally been blown to small pieces with a centerfire rifle hit that also broke the off leg.

Imagine what a drugged up individual could do in that five seconds after a puny handgun hit, even from a dreaded 10mm.

ETA Being a retired military pilot, I can well appreciate the fact that sometimes you only have seconds (or less) to make life or death decisions.

Yet the investigative agency has days, weeks, or even months to analyze your actions and decide if you did right or wrong. Doesn't matter if you're alive or dead, they're going to look at everything and figure out what you did, or should have, or should not have done.

Human reaction to bullet wounds is an inexact science.

Cavalry Doc
11-26-2013, 17:37
Human reaction to bullet wounds is an inexact science.

Or maybe it is an exact science, with innumerable variables.

SCmasterblaster
11-27-2013, 11:21
Or maybe it is an exact science, with innumerable variables.

You are probably right. I would expect that my 9mm 115gr JHP at 1400 FPS would destroy a significant length of the spinal cord or a notable portion of a brain or heart. 5 or 6 rounds would be certainly conclusive. :cool:

retired guard
12-22-2013, 11:35
Thanks for sharing.

Cavalry Doc
12-22-2013, 12:12
You are probably right. I would expect that my 9mm 115gr JHP at 1400 FPS would destroy a significant length of the spinal cord or a notable portion of a brain or heart. 5 or 6 rounds would be certainly conclusive. :cool:

Not if you hit them in the extremities only. I've seen a number of people shot more times than that and lived.

That's why I normally recommend carrying the largest caliber that you can be accurate with.