Springfield XD(s) is off my list now [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield XD(s) is off my list now

Beanie-Bean
07-05-2012, 12:58
Finally saw one in-person today, and had it in my grubby little paws.

1. It's pretty thin, much like the S&W Shield.
2. The overall footprint from the side view is bigger than I anticipated.
3. The F/O sight up front is nice, but I would prefer a Tritium night sight if this will be a carry pistol.

For the $539 the shop was asking, I'll pass. G20 & G29 Gen4 models are higher on the priority list.

If you don't have a smaller .45, like a G30 or G39, I would recommend having a look at the XD(s)

dnuggett
07-05-2012, 13:09
It's a great piece. Y'all can see my write up and pics in a thread I started on it. The 7 round mags are ridiculously long however.

thinblueline90
07-05-2012, 13:29
I just don't care for the feel of a XD. It could be because I'm VERY partial to Glock, but XD's just don't impress me.

Decguns
07-05-2012, 14:07
I've never been impressed by the XDs. They feel clunky, top heavy, like the Ruger P-series. I'm not a big of any pistol sporting a superfluous grip safety anyway.

Beanie-Bean
07-05-2012, 14:29
It's a great piece. Y'all can see my write up and pics in a thread I started on it. The 7 round mags are ridiculously long however.

I read your threads when you got yours...thanks for putting that up for us.

I'm running into the same thing with the Shield--the 8-round magazines make the grip extremely long. For me, the issue with concealment is not how thick the gun is, but rather, how long the grip is.

I like the feel of the XD(s) but already have some .45 handguns about that size. If I only had G21/G37/1911/P220, then I would get one of those in a heartbeat. For me, the size was just too close to the small Glock .45s I have.

The width on that thing is impressive, I must say. All the reviews I've read and seen over on the XDTalk site, and on YouTube had me searching high and low and calling everywhere to try and get one. I still have two on pre-order, too! If I ever get a call from those guys, and I already have the new 10mm Gen4 pistols in the safe, then I may take them up and fill out the paperwork to take the XD(s) home...:supergrin:

Enjoy your XD(s) nugget!

Kaybe
07-05-2012, 14:34
I have had a chance to handle one, but not shoot one. It is very close to the size of a Kel Tec PF9. I compared the two side by side and other ways. Almost the same. I hope to get one when they are available. 9mm and .40 are on the way also.

Dan Glock
07-05-2012, 17:20
I'm really digging the XDs! I think it's great gun great carry and will replace my shield once I get a buyer. And will most definitely get it in the 9mm as well :-)

gsdrulz
07-05-2012, 18:05
I just got mine for $499 out the door. I'll give it a chance as it feels fine in my XL glove wearing hands.

I do prefer Glock's but now that my small time LGS can't get new ones, and internet stores feel the need to over charge to ship any gun to Alaska means that I'll be looking at other gun makers.

BuckyP
07-05-2012, 19:29
I just don't care for the feel of a XD. It could be because I'm VERY partial to Glock, but XD's just don't impress me.

I own XDs and GLOCKs. It may come as a surprise the XDS feels more GLOCK like than XD like. Sure, it still has the grip safety, but internally the trigger action is more GLOCK like as well.

BuckyP
07-05-2012, 19:31
I just got mine for $499 out the door. I'll give it a chance as it feels fine in my XL glove wearing hands.

Wow, you saw one in a local shop? Shops around here can't get one, so I had to overpay on Gun-makeyou-broker. No regrets though. I got it when I wanted it. :dunno:

BuckyP
07-05-2012, 19:32
If you don't have a smaller .45, like a G30 or G39, I would recommend having a look at the XD(s)

I have the G30 (main CCW), and I got the XDS as a smaller alternative, mostly for pocket carry when the need arises. The XDS is much slimmer and smaller.

bac1023
07-05-2012, 19:55
I haven't handled one yet.

I'm not much of a small pistol guy though.

faawrenchbndr
07-05-2012, 20:26
The XDs has WAY better ergos than the G30 or G36!

Dan Glock
07-05-2012, 20:36

Fo Sho!

sharkbait22
07-05-2012, 20:48
If I could put the glock trigger system inside my Kahr cw45 I would have invented my ideal carry .45 I love my Kahr but that damn trigger reset kills it. Better yet put a DA/SA mechanism in the Kahr. That would be sweet.

SMOKEin
07-05-2012, 20:56

For you.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

gsdrulz
07-06-2012, 01:19
Wow, you saw one in a local shop? Shops around here can't get one, so I had to overpay on Gun-makeyou-broker. No regrets though. I got it when I wanted it. :dunno:

I walked in to buy some fishing gear that I needed. And saw it just sitting in the case. So it was a impulse buy as I am really in the market for a 22 bolt gun and pistol. Like I said before it feels really great in my big ca-lopper paws much better than the LC9, Shield, Nano. I'll try get the pics and a rudimentary range report up hopefully tomorrow.

Boats
07-06-2012, 01:44
For you.

For most.

CBennett
07-06-2012, 04:34
ive wanted a small .45 for a few years now I think the XDs will be it. The small fat glocks dont do it fro me with their horrid grips. The 36 is good im guessing cause its slimmer probably...BUT I cant even find a USED one for a decent price(aka less than a new XDs which ive seen for near $500 but never seen a USED Glock 36 for less than that) so it leaves me with 3 on the list the XDs,Used Glock 36 in the $450 range(never found one), or the Taurus Mil Pro 145..they seem to be the only 3 that suit my needs..

cal45
07-06-2012, 05:23
Finally saw one in-person today, and had it in my grubby little paws.

1. It's pretty thin, much like the S&W Shield.
2. The overall footprint from the side view is bigger than I anticipated.
3. The F/O sight up front is nice, but I would prefer a Tritium night sight if this will be a carry pistol.

For the $539 the shop was asking, I'll pass. G20 & G29 Gen4 models are higher on the priority list.

I also had the chance to handle one and after looking it's size over, while much thinner than my G30SF - it's OA height and length is not that much diff (G30 w/the 9 rd mag). I am looking for a smaller .45ACP pistol to carry when size matters (I do not consider any .45GAP as a true .45ACP since my purpose is to stay with the same ammo I carry in my G30). For this reason I have begun looking at the Kahr PM45. They had some growing pains when they first came out a few years ago but the more recent reviews have been favorable.

SMOKEin
07-06-2012, 09:19
For most.

You mean for the very small amount of people that have run out and bought the newest gun available and claimed its greatness? Cool gun, but every year there is another gun that people go bonkers over as "the game changer".

I passed on buying one, didn't feel right.

Dan Glock
07-06-2012, 11:29
You mean for the very small amount of people that have run out and bought the newest gun available and claimed its greatness? Cool gun, but every year there is another gun that people go bonkers over as "the game changer".

Hickok seemed to like it so much he bought it. And yet he didn't say it was the greatest. Gotta count for something

sharkbait22
07-06-2012, 12:59

Mans gotta point. Every time a new gun comes out people use it as a way to bash GLOCK. But I still have yet to find a gun to replace my G19 for CC.

BuckyP
07-06-2012, 15:34
Mans gotta point. Every time a new gun comes out people use it as a way to bash GLOCK. But I still have yet to find a gun to replace my G19 for CC.

I love my XDS, but I haven't found it to "replace" my GLOCK 30 for primary CCW, but supplement it for those (not too frequent) times I must dress up and the chubby GLOCK is not an option. :cool:

threefeathers
07-06-2012, 17:46
I've seen many XD's on the range at a bunch of classes and I must say the darn things work and work well. I don't like their top heavyness, but that would be an individual complaint.

joeglock19
07-06-2012, 18:08
Shot my son's today at the range. It was not fun to shoot for me. I'll take my g-19 or S&W model 38 anytime. It was accurate though.

dnuggett
07-06-2012, 18:36

There are other reasons to bash Glock... it doesn't take a new gun. :tongueout:

That said, in no way does my XDS replace my 1911 for carry. The XDS fill a limited role (summer tshirt and shorts carry) very well for me. As always YMMV.

09crue
07-06-2012, 18:58
i'll be waiting for one on 9mm

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2012, 13:48
OK, I was told today that it would be a 9-10 month wait on the Ruger SR1911 which I've had on pre-order since Feb 2012.

So, to fill the gap while Ruger takes their sweet time, I went ahead and put in another pre-order with a different LGS. Two pre-orders in already, and no XD(s) in sight from either of those guys.

I had it in my hand again yesterday while I was waiting on some night sights to be installed (bought it from them, no charge on the installation...) and I have to say that I really liked it.

Now, to find those extended magazines...:supergrin:

dnuggett
07-11-2012, 14:16

Call Springfield, they shipped mine right away. Not sure if there is a delay now though.

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2012, 15:05
Call Springfield, they shipped mine right away. Not sure if there is a delay now though.

Thanks, nuggett--I saw a post on the XDTalk forum that had the phone number and the part number for it. I may just carry it as a spare, because the gun looks HUGE with that big old magazine installed.

I was sort of hoping to order the whole thing later this year, in hopes of a "Gear Up" program like they've offered in the past with the extra mags. Perhaps the 9X19 will be released around that time for those extra magazines...:supergrin:

On the hunt for a holster now, and it looks like my trusty Remora will have to take that duty until I can find one I like in leather/kydex. I saw that lots of folks have ordered the MiniTuck, but I'm a fan and supporter of the Comp-Tac gear, so I may just hold out until they release a version.

elde
07-11-2012, 17:59
Seems to be some trouble in paradise with the XDs over on the XD Forum......light strike issues. Incredibly hard to believe since it's taken the place of the Shield as the Gun of the Moment.

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2012, 19:26
Seems to be some trouble in paradise with the XDs over on the XD Forum......light strike issues. Incredibly hard to believe since it's taken the place of the Shield as the Gun of the Moment.

I did see that. Perhaps a little bit stronger striker spring, and maybe seating the primers properly on the press would help? Don't know yet...as long as it goes bang, I don't care if the primer still looks new. I'm going to decap that case later on anyway to reload it.

PimpStick
07-11-2012, 20:16
When I get a chance, I'll post comparison pix of my XDs, 29 and 36. The XDs is noticeably smaller than the other 2. Here's the XDs against my 26, which even has a grip redux:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/GLOCK38CCW/IMG_0125.jpg

PimpStick
07-11-2012, 20:18
OK, I was told today that it would be a 9-10 month wait on the Ruger SR1911 which I've had on pre-order since Feb 2012.

So, to fill the gap while Ruger takes their sweet time, I went ahead and put in another pre-order with a different LGS. Two pre-orders in already, and no XD(s) in sight from either of those guys.

I had it in my hand again yesterday while I was waiting on some night sights to be installed (bought it from them, no charge on the installation...) and I have to say that I really liked it.

SA shipped mine in 2 days as well...

Beanie-Bean
07-11-2012, 23:41
SA shipped mine in 2 days as well...

That's good to know, PS. It will help redeem SA in my eyes, because I have been waiting on S&W to send the spare magazines I ordered months ago! I am still rolling with the two factory-supplied magazines for my Shield. Needless to say, it doesn't get shot a whole lot.

I like to have at least five magazines for each pistol I'm shooting with at the range. It makes for a more enjoyable trip, and easier counting when loading (and shooting,) especially when testing out new loads from the reloading bench.

Sendarr
07-12-2012, 03:51
is there any info on the mag capacity of the upcoming 9mm and 40 versions?

Beanie-Bean
07-12-2012, 05:51
is there any info on the mag capacity of the upcoming 9mm and 40 versions?

Haven't seen anything official yet...my guess would be 7 for the 9X19, and 6 for the .40S&W.

BuckyP
07-12-2012, 06:37
That's good to know, PS. It will help redeem SA in my eyes, because I have been waiting on S&W to send the spare magazines I ordered months ago! I am still rolling with the two factory-supplied magazines for my Shield. Needless to say, it doesn't get shot a whole lot.

Which gun do you like better? I was on the fence between The Shield and XDS. Ultimately chose the XD-S for the grip safety and like the trigger safety better. The grip safety isn't a big deal for holster carry, but felt it would be a benefit for alternate carry, such as Smart Carry.

Would like to hear your take, being you own both.

Beanie-Bean
07-12-2012, 08:26
Which gun do you like better? I was on the fence between The Shield and XDS. Ultimately chose the XD-S for the grip safety and like the trigger safety better. The grip safety isn't a big deal for holster carry, but felt it would be a benefit for alternate carry, such as Smart Carry.

Would like to hear your take, being you own both.

Bucky, I'll post the comparison and review after I have it. Was told from the LGS yesterday (3rd place I've placed a pre-order...) that it would be a week to ten days.

I'm a Glock guy first, and I really like the Shield. However, the XD(s) seems to be more Glock-like in the way it feels. I didn't think that I'd like it after I first checked it out in-person, but while I was waiting for the guys to install some sights for me on some other firearms, I had a lot of time in the relatively empty store to inspect the XD(s) more closely. It's a lot more to my liking than I originally thought, and both the Shield and XD(s) are more to my liking than the Kimber Solo I owned and traded off for another firearm.

Garrett Industries just called, and told me that they would be ready to go with holsters for the new .45 in about three weeks. I'm interested in their Silent Thunder Solo for this one, and will probably be picking up a few others for some of my other pistols for which comfortable holsters are hard to find.

BuckyP
07-12-2012, 08:40
Bucky, I'll post the comparison and review after I have it. Was told from the LGS yesterday (3rd place I've placed a pre-order...) that it would be a week to ten days.

I'm a Glock guy first, and I really like the Shield. However, the XD(s) seems to be more Glock-like in the way it feels.

It was my impression too. In ways, the XDS is more GLOCK like than XD like, especially in the trigger feel. Will be looking forward to your comparison.

:wavey:

Beanie-Bean
07-17-2012, 13:34
Took about a week, but I finally got the call today "Your XD-S is ready to pick up..." Going to clean it out and put lots of Federal ($25.97/ box of 100) and Speer LM ($15.88/box of 50) in addition to my own creations (Hornady 185 and 230 gr.) through it to try to break it in properly.

Range report to follow after I can get it out to the range.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SA/24c26e7f.jpg

evilspringer
07-17-2012, 15:00
I picked one up last week. I really like the gun. It was originally for the wife but she hates shooting it. I like the size and weight of it. My son has a G36 and this is a bit smaller. I have carried this for the past week and it is a big difference from my G30.
Still not sure if it will become my primary EDC. Just feel better with 10+1. The XDs will make an excellent BUG.

evilspringer
07-17-2012, 15:02

You can also order 7 rd mags here:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Springfield_XDs_45ACP_7rd_Extended_Magazine_XDS500_p/xd-s50071.htm

CBennett
07-17-2012, 15:06
I picked one up last week. I really like the gun. It was originally for the wife but she hates shooting it. I like the size and weight of it. My son has a G36 and this is a bit smaller. I have carried this for the past week and it is a big difference from my G30.
Still not sure if it will become my primary EDC. Just feel better with 10+1. The XDs will make an excellent BUG.

What do you feel are the biggest difference between the XDs and the Glock 36(the Glock 36 is the ONLY glock id own) Ive been looking for a compact .45 ACP for a year or more now and come to the conclusion if I want one its gonna have to be the XDs because I STILL cant find a Glock 36(used not new) for a decent price.

evilspringer
07-17-2012, 15:23
I am going of memory, since I live in Ohio and my son lives in SC, but the XDs seems much smaller in my hand than the 36. The 36 feels like my G19. For me I didn't feel like there was much difference between the 30 and 36. Obviously the 36 is slimmer, but it wasn't a big enough difference to warrant buying a 36 since I have a 30 and 19.

Beanie-Bean
07-17-2012, 15:27

You can also order 7 rd mags here:

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Springfield_XDs_45ACP_7rd_Extended_Magazine_XDS500_p/xd-s50071.htm

Thank you for the info, ES. I'll have to get some extra magazines as soon as I can, because there is no way I'll be breaking this in with just two flush magazines. I did that with the Kimber Solo I had, and haven't shot the Shield much because of the lack of magazines available.

I'm going to try your Power Pistol recipe you mentioned over on the other forum. My brother and I had a lot of fun running Longshot/230 gr. projectiles. I think that I responded back to you (if you are the same ES from the other forum...)

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/207354-my-range-report-xds-glock-g30.html#post3433135

XD-S fits in the same Remora and cheap-o Uncle Mike's holsters as my smaller Glocks (G26/27/33) and somewhat fits in the Comp-Tac MTAC holster I have for my G30SF.

For my use, I think that I'll try this one out as an alternative to my SIG P238HD, which is usually the gun I'm running with if I'm not going to have a proper belt holster. The Remora holsters have been outstanding for me, and really just allow you to put it inside your pocket or waistband and head out in a hurry.

CBennett
07-17-2012, 15:34
I am going of memory, since I live in Ohio and my son lives in SC, but the XDs seems much smaller in my hand than the 36. The 36 feels like my G19. For me I didn't feel like there was much difference between the 30 and 36. Obviously the 36 is slimmer, but it wasn't a big enough difference to warrant buying a 36 since I have a 30 and 19.

Unfortunately the 36 is the ONLY Glock that feels right in my hand(wish they all did) and I think it was that extra "thinness" that it has (making it closer grip size to the rest of the guns ive ever shot instead of big and fat like the rest of the Glocks)

evilspringer
07-17-2012, 15:37
Thank you for the info, ES. I'll have to get some extra magazines as soon as I can, because there is no way I'll be breaking this in with just two flush magazines. I did that with the Kimber Solo I had, and haven't shot the Shield much because of the lack of magazines available.

I'm going to try your Power Pistol recipe you mentioned over on the other forum. My brother and I had a lot of fun running Longshot/230 gr. projectiles. I think that I responded back to you (if you are the same ES from the other forum...)

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/207354-my-range-report-xds-glock-g30.html#post3433135

XD-S fits in the same Remora and cheap-o Uncle Mike's holsters as my smaller Glocks (G26/27/33) and somewhat fits in the Comp-Tac MTAC holster I have for my G30SF.

For my use, I think that I'll try this one out as an alternative to my SIG P238HD, which is usually the gun I'm running with if I'm not going to have a proper belt holster. The Remora holsters have been outstanding for me, and really just allow you to put it inside your pocket or waistband and head out in a hurry.

Yes, same one. I think you will like the 6.6 grns. I have had good results with that load.

I too have a Remora that I use and like real well

random southpaw
07-17-2012, 19:13

I wear a medium sized glove. I have the G30SF and the G36--love them both!

I really like the fiber optic from tight on the XD-S and it feels great in my hand. My LGS did not have one for display; they had to go open a box to let me handle it--they have a pretty long waiting list.

My stash funds will allow me to buy one but I am still not quite decided.

CDR_Glock
07-17-2012, 21:41
I have a Detonics Combat Master V, Glock 30 and Glock 36. I don't need another compact 45.

Beanie-Bean
07-17-2012, 23:50
Cleaned up and ready to go!

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SA/IMG_8814.jpg

pat701
07-18-2012, 08:39
Why to small in the hand for a 45acp.

dnuggett
07-18-2012, 10:05
Why to small in the hand for a 45acp.

I am going to assume you mean way to small. I'm curious.. how much time do you have behind the trigger? Or is your statement just an assumptive opinion? That's fine if it is, but I'm curious.

TxDoubleAgent
07-18-2012, 10:24
I handled one for the first time at a gunshow last weekend. My very first impression was.... SLIDE BITE!

If your deploying it with a quickness from your rig, and if you have large hands, sooner or later, your gonna get bit. It has a much lower bore axis than the typical XD. Am a SA fan also, but 5+1 rounds in a .45, I'm out. Will take another look when the 9mm is released.

NEOH212
07-19-2012, 02:24
While I won't say I hate the XD, I don't like it.

Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Such as a HK, Sig, or a Glock. :cool:

ricklee4570
07-19-2012, 02:40
I find it funny how many people on here say that you are better off with another pistol, when they have not shot or even handled the XDS.

Everyone has been wanting Glock to come out with a single stack 9mm and they wont, so S&W produces one and it is selling like crazy....Glock lost out on this one.

Now that Springfield has introduced the single stack compact 45 that is way better in ergonomics to the G36, smaller and much easier to carry and looks to be priced much better, it looks like Glock is missing the boat yet again.

BuckyP
07-19-2012, 02:41
While I won't say I hate the XD, I don't like it.

Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Such as a HK, Sig, or a Glock. :cool:

Except.... HK or GLOCK doesn't make a gun in the size category. Sig has 2 now, and I haven't seen stellar reports on either. :dunno: