FN FNX9 Review [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : FN FNX9 Review

plouffedaddy
07-05-2012, 14:39
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC00828.jpg

I've liked FN firearms since I was in basic training and first got the opportunity to get behind what may be my favorite gun of all time––-the M240B. Unfortunately, I can't have one of those in my personal collection so I've been collecting their handguns, rifles, and shotguns ever since. FNH makes great military and civilian firearms and I haven't been disappointed in any of them thus far.

The FNX line of pistols are decedents from the Browning PRO guns. Sales of the Browning Pro were disappointing so FN rebranded the pistols the FNH FNP and sold them under the FN name. Sales still were lower than expected so they 'improved' upon the original design and released the FNX (more on that in the video).

FNX9 Pros:

-Accuracy (in SA mode, this gun is extremely easy to shoot accurately)
-Reliability (I've never had a malfunction of any kind with this firearm)
-Durability (cold hammer forged barrel, stainless slide, ect...)
-MIL-STD 1913 rail for lights and accessories
-Ambidextrous controls
-Comes with 3 magazines
-4 interchangeable backstraps
-Aftermarket support (holsters, parts, ect...) are availible
-Safety acts as a decocker as well
-US made

FNX9 Cons:

-The position/size of the safety/decocker rubs my thumb (and the thumb of others that have tried it) when firing high round counts
-Mag lockup is suspect. I've never had an issue with it but it doesn't inspire confidence either

Here's a video with some shooting, table top review with disassembly/assembly and size comparison with other popular pistols, and some chronograph testing.

http://youtu.be/8P3H4NpfAVU

Chronograph Tests:
Hornady 147gr TAP JHP: 985 fps, 317 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 124gr JHP: 1102 fps, 334 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 124gr +p JHP: 1127 fps, 350 ft/lbs energy
Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1100 fps, 309 ft/lbs energy
Remington UMC 115gr JHP: 1113 fps, 316 ft/lbs energy

plouffedaddy
07-05-2012, 14:53
Not sure why the video's link is not working...? :dunno:

Edit, fixed it.

raven11
07-05-2012, 15:02
Link works for me. Thanks for the review. My uncle had the Browning PRO and they sold them pretty cheap compaired to now

Decguns
07-05-2012, 17:07
I have about 6 months experience with the FNX-9 now. I'm a tad more critical of the pistol than most amatuer reviews I've seen.

1. The grip, slide & magazine are much larger than required for a 9MM. In addition to the unusually large size, there's a massive lightening cut inside the slide. This would lead me to believe it's a 40 S&W pistol modified for 9MM.

2. The interchangeable back straps are held in place by a tiny plastic tab. The backstrap that came on the pistol locked up tight, but now none of the others do. Plenty of annoying up & down slop. Do be careful. The tab is easily damaged.

3. The single action trigger pull is horrible. It's long, creepy and has a noticeable hitch at the beginning. There are many safety related widgets attached to the trigger bar that cause the hitch. You have to rack the slide to reset them to get the full effect. Just cocking the hammer at the gun shop will not reveal this funky pull.

4. The finish on the slide, on my pistol, is already scratched up. The finish is very thin. When scratched, that bright silver stainless slide underneath really shines.

The FNP was a horrendous failure. It didn't survive most agency's acceptance testing. The FNX is better, but still leaves a lot to be desired. It has good sights, it's accurate, it feels good in the hand with the proper backstrap installed. It'll be interesting if they refine the pistol.

bac1023
07-05-2012, 19:53
Very nice review

tim12232
07-06-2012, 07:54
Wow...kinda seems like you crapped on this dudes thread?!
I have fired the FNX9 many times as a close friend recently purchased one. The SA trigger IMHO is far from what your describing, it is short, clean and crisp breaking, and has a nice reset after the first shot. Is it the SRT trigger in my SIG? No but its also half the price too!

Congrats on your FNX and thanks OP for the review!

I have about 6 months experience with the FNX-9 now. I'm a tad more critical of the pistol than most amatuer reviews I've seen.

1. The grip, slide & magazine are much larger than required for a 9MM. In addition to the unusually large size, there's a massive lightening cut inside the slide. This would lead me to believe it's a 40 S&W pistol modified for 9MM.

2. The interchangeable back straps are held in place by a tiny plastic tab. The backstrap that came on the pistol locked up tight, but now none of the others do. Plenty of annoying up & down slop. Do be careful. The tab is easily damaged.

3. The single action trigger pull is horrible. It's long, creepy and has a noticeable hitch at the beginning. There are many safety related widgets attached to the trigger bar that cause the hitch. You have to rack the slide to reset them to get the full effect. Just cocking the hammer at the gun shop will not reveal this funky pull.

4. The finish on the slide, on my pistol, is already scratched up. The finish is very thin. When scratched, that bright silver stainless slide underneath really shines.

The FNP was a horrendous failure. It didn't survive most agency's acceptance testing. The FNX is better, but still leaves a lot to be desired. It has good sights, it's accurate, it feels good in the hand with the proper backstrap installed. It'll be interesting if they refine the pistol.

gatorboy
07-06-2012, 08:07
I've had an FNX40 since they first came out. It's top 3 for favorite polymer guns. I also have the FNP40 USG. It's decent but not a favorite.

The FNX was made for 40 so the observations about lightening cuts is right on.

I have no issues with DA or SA in either pistol. They both have improved with shooting.

My FNX40 has just shy of 5K rounds through it without a failure of any kind.

The chamber is on the large size and bulges factory ammo more than any Glock I own.

Some don't like the large 'combat' sights but I love them.

This gun is handsome, accurate and reliable. Taking it out right now. The FNX40 ALWAYS rides!

Nice write-up on a great pistol.

fnfalman
07-06-2012, 08:08
Wow...kinda seems like you crapped on this dudes thread?!
I have fired the FNX9 many times as a close friend recently purchased one. The SA trigger IMHO is far from what your describing, it is short, clean and crisp breaking,

This is where I disagreed. One day last year I decided to get me one of these FN plastic phantastics. I didn't particularly cared which model because because I just wanted one for the hell of it. Went down to the local gun shop, played with them and decided on the FNP9 because the SA & DA trigger pulls on the FNX were utterly crap. Long, gritty, heavy, uneven.

So, if some FNX out there with good trigger and then there are FNX out there also with bad trigger, then something is seriously wrong.

gatorboy
07-06-2012, 08:16
This is where I disagreed. One day last year I decided to get me one of these FN plastic phantastics. I didn't particularly cared which model because because I just wanted one for the hell of it. Went down to the local gun shop, played with them and decided on the FNP9 because the SA & DA trigger pulls on the FNX were utterly crap. Long, gritty, heavy, uneven.

So, if some FNX out there with good trigger and then there are FNX out there also with bad trigger, then something is seriously wrong.

This is a documented issue with the FNS. Some triggers reported excellent some poor, not a lot in between. Even heard of functioning issues with the FNS. Seems a heavier trigger return spring is needed?

plouffedaddy
07-06-2012, 13:38
The FNP was a horrendous failure

Oddly enough, I like my FNP9m more than the FNX. The two 'cons' I listed above are absent on the FNP. The 'M' version should have been the standard version though; just feels right in the hand. :supergrin:

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01603.jpg

fnfalman
07-06-2012, 14:25
Oddly enough, I like my FNP9m more than the FNX. The two 'cons' I listed above are absent on the FNP. The 'M' version should have been the standard version though; just feels right in the hand. :supergrin:

It's interesting to note that FN Herstal website shows the FNP series and FNS series but no FNX, while the FN America website shows the FNS and FNX but no FNP.

Sendarr
07-06-2012, 14:45
I've been happy with the fnp9 and fnx45 and 9. I'm primarily a Sig owner, and while these arent sigs, they're usually lighter, less expensive, and come standard with 3 mags. Also, the 45 holds 15 rounds in a mag. Does your 45 do that?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

s&wfan
07-06-2012, 15:24
Nicely done on this review. Please post more in the future.

plouffedaddy
07-06-2012, 17:06
Nicely done on this review. Please post more in the future.

Thanks. I'm working on it but my job/wife/ammo costs/ect.. get in the way!

ShaneS
07-06-2012, 22:17
I have an FNX40 and am very pleased with it. I think the trigger pull is very good. Accuracy and reliability are excellent. Well built and designed. The chamber is looser than my Sig 2022 but a little tighter than my 3rd Gen Glock 22. It is the perfect size in .40 but would be big for 9mm IMHO.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

gatorboy
07-15-2012, 12:26

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/DSC01603.jpg

There's one you don't see everyday! Nice pistol, I'd prefer it as well but they did'nt make them in 40. 3.5" barrel? One of three I've ever seen, thanks for the pic.

Sendarr
07-15-2012, 14:59
About how big was the fnp9m? glock19 size?

plouffedaddy
07-15-2012, 19:49
About how big was the fnp9m? glock19 size?

It's very close to the G19 size... If you check out the video you can get a pretty good idea of the comparative size.

Blitzo
07-15-2012, 21:06
The FNP 45 is one of my favorite guns. Congrats on the FNX and thanks for the review.