How do you store a couple hundred new cars in a very small space? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you store a couple hundred new cars in a very small space?

Atlas
07-05-2012, 18:24
Check this image on a Bloomberg article today:

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/i1876RhVVeZE.jpg

This is an ASRS (automated storage and retrieval system) at a VW dealer in Wolfsburg, Germany.
Pure engineering art.

I've programmed and commissioned ASRS systems for some machinery almost as large as a car, but the shelves were arrayed more like the storage shelves in your garage or laundry room, 25 spaces horizontally and 5 vertically, and not in the round like in this photo..

yesitsloaded
07-05-2012, 18:29
Didn't Tom Cruise shoot an action scene in this place?

Atlas
07-05-2012, 18:41

I dunno, which one?
I don't see many movies, and usually only when they've been out long enough that they're on DVD for $5 - $8 somewhere.

slick64
07-05-2012, 18:48
The most recent MI Ghost Protocol movie was shot there.

tony4311
07-05-2012, 18:49
You can actually see and use them in normal life but not so much in the us since we don't have the space issues other places do. They're pretty damn cool.

Glockdude1
07-05-2012, 18:50

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.moviefone.com/media/2011/12/mission-impossible-ghost-protocol.jpg

:cool:

Gallium
07-05-2012, 18:53
I have seen something similar in Tokyo, and that was 4-5 years ago...still, that is mondo cool as heck.

Rick C
07-05-2012, 19:08

Pure engineering art.

As an engineer, would you certify the plans?

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:18
As an engineer, would you certify the plans?

"Certify the plans" ?
I don't know what you mean.

Programming it would be essentially the same as one I did for large hydraulic power-units.
The only difference is the number of tiers, and the one in that photo apparently has a turntable to position it around it's axis.

I probably know (barely) the guy in Germany who programmed that one. He works for a company that makes the "crane" as they refer to the lifting unit you see there.
They do ASRS systems all over the planet.

CitizenOfDreams
07-05-2012, 19:24
You can actually see and use them in normal life but not so much in the us since we don't have the space issues other places do.

Ever tried finding a parking space in New York City? That's the first thing I thought about when I saw "Bloomberg" in the title.

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:26
This company:
www.dambach-lagersysteme.de/en/products/stacker-crane-controls.html

I don't know if they constructed the system in that photo, but it was probably them.

GSSF17
07-05-2012, 19:29
Leave it to the Germans! I say that with sincerety, jealousy, and a bit of resentment......

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:30
Leave it to the Germans! I say that with sincerety, jealousy, and a bit of resentment......

I believe I know exactly what you mean..

Gallium
07-05-2012, 19:39
Ever tried finding a parking space in New York City? That's the first thing I thought about when I saw "Bloomberg" in the title.

There is a hotel in midtown that has (a la Tokyo) a turntable, this allows the cars to be fed in any of 6-8 slots (parking garage is below ground, there are support beams virtually everywhere) without having to execute any sort of u-turn.

The contraption I saw in Japan was 5-7 stories high, similar to the design in this picture.

arclight610
07-05-2012, 19:41
Power outage = screwed.

Rick C
07-05-2012, 19:44
"Certify the plans" ?
I don't know what you mean..
Professionals that sign and seal construction plans approved for construction.
Is that required in Europe?

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:45
Power outage = screwed.

Do tell...
They may well have on-site generators though.

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:48
Professionals that sign and seal construction plans approved for construction.
Is that required in Europe?

Being Germany, I'd expect you could bet your life on it.

Here in America it would be required also of course, but I don't get involved in that sort of thing.

ASRS is not my usual thing, but I've done the large one I mentioned and another system for tiny electronic components.

Altaris
07-05-2012, 19:49
I wonder how that would handle the giant pickup trucks that many Americans have.

Atlas
07-05-2012, 19:57
I wonder how that would handle the giant pickup trucks that many Americans have.

Don't know about that specifically but it being German you can believe it was designed to easily handle at least 5x the heaviest car in VW's lineup.

Dambach, the company I linked above will make ASRS to handle anything you want to store.

Gallium
07-05-2012, 20:02

Many garages (here) that have vertical lifts, and /or turntables have height and weight limits. From the look of this thing, it was not designed to handle a vehicle 76" high or 222" long (Suburban = 1.95m and 5.6m respectively)

harlenm
07-05-2012, 20:44
Many garages (here) that have vertical lifts, and /or turntables have height and weight limits. From the look of this thing, it was not designed to handle a vehicle 76" high or 222" long (Suburban = 1.95m and 5.6m respectively)

76" tall and 222" long would accommodate almost every vehicle besides for a suburban or full size long bed pickups.

SpectreRider
07-05-2012, 21:41
Anyone notice in the movie still the cars are facing out and in the photo of real useage the cars face in?

certifiedfunds
07-05-2012, 21:46
Like a car vending machine

JMS
07-05-2012, 22:52

This is an ASRS (automated storage and retrieval system) at a VW dealer in Wolfsburg, Germany.
Pure engineering art.

I've programmed and commissioned ASRS systems for some machinery almost as large as a car, but the shelves were arrayed more like the storage shelves in your garage or laundry room, 25 spaces horizontally and 5 vertically, and not in the round like in this photo..

I'm pretty sure that's VW HQ and not a dealer.

Atlas
07-05-2012, 23:12
I'm pretty sure that's VW HQ and not a dealer.

Maybe.. all I know is the caption on the Bloomberg site where the photo was posted..

How are you so certain?

JMS
07-05-2012, 23:18
Maybe.. all I know is the caption on the Bloomberg site where the photo was posted..

Why are you be so sure?

I've seen the picture before (years ago) and I recall it being the factory. I can't imagine many dealers could afford that setup, plus VW is based in Wolfsburg.

Google confirmed http://my.volkswagen.com/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/my/company/volkswagen_germany/Autostadt_2.html

http://www.autostadt.de/en/explore-the-autostadt/virtual-tour/

Atlas
07-05-2012, 23:21
Please... re-quote me with my corrected post.

:rofl:

It's late and the Bushmills is overtaking me.

JMS
07-05-2012, 23:23
Please... re-quote me with my corrected post.

:rofl:

It's late and the Bushmills is overtaking me.

I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out :tongueout:

I be so sure :rofl:

Atlas
07-05-2012, 23:34
...I be so sure :rofl:

And I be semi-drunk!
:cool:

Got tomorrow off, having fun tonight!

Be well, and stay safe.

ty2engnr
10-30-2012, 11:15
I was with some colleagues from work when I saw Ghost Protocol and this ASRS was all we could talk about after the movie. Some of them want to plan a trip to go see this in person! It is amazing!!

Halojumper
10-30-2012, 17:22

I was thinking the same thing!