Dan Wesson PM-9 Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson PM-9 Question

hi-power man
07-05-2012, 19:37
I hate to post a price question but ...
I'm in need of some funds for a rifle project, so I am considering selling my DW PM-9, 9 mm, 2009 production. The unit is about 95% with ~600 rounds fired. All original, I've not made any modifications - original grips, mags, paperwork and box. I have not shot this pistol since I bought my G34. Anyway, I have been looking about the internet and cannot find any used for sale to get a price idea. All comments will be appreciated.

B_RAD
07-05-2012, 21:40
I'll give you $400.

Seriously though, a gun store is going to give you around 50% of what they sell a new one for. Maybe less. IIRC the PM-9 has been discontinued. So take 30-60% off what it cost new, maybe you could get that from a lgs? You should be able to get more from a individual but you may find that it's a little more difficult to sell it becasue it's 9mm. Also, some may not know of DW. So I'd guess you could get $600 if you find the right person.

If I was you and you don't absolutely have to sell, I'd do all I could to hold on to it. I love DW 1911's!

Just my $0.02 but I'm sure some other members with a lot more knowledge of what you may get for this will be along to comment.

Good luck,

MSgt Dotson
07-05-2012, 23:14
Between $1200-$1400, depending on buyer, would not seem either overpriced or underpriced...

Good luck

deadite
07-06-2012, 09:05
Between $1200-$1400, depending on buyer, would not seem either overpriced or underpriced...

Good luck

That seems very high.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

B_RAD
07-06-2012, 09:10
That seems very high.

I agree. I'm guessing this was around what it sold for new. Maybe less. It's not impossible to get this much for it but the stars are goin to have to align. Stranger things have happened.

rock185
07-06-2012, 18:49
I have two PM-9s, so I wish they were very valuable used, but I doubt it. There is a new one on Gunbroker for $1374.95. They are not discontinued, just limited production. In my part of the US, I suspect dealers would offer about 50% of what they figure they could sell a used one for. I would imagine maybe $900.00 or so to a motivated private party, if the 2009 guns are of the same configuration a my 2012 PM-9s. Perhaps a bit more if advertised on GB or similar site. Dealers I have experience with in my state pretty well have it all covered if you try to sell or trade a gun to them. If the gun is well known, current production,etc., it is common and not worth much. If it is something like a 1911 in 9MM from a maker not widely known for their semi-autos, it would be a "niche" gun. Desired by few, hard to sell and therefore not worth much. I think they would probably throw in; " Who would even want a 1911 in 9MM anyway?". Hope the stars do align for you if you do decide to sell it... ymmv

hi-power man
07-06-2012, 18:53
Thanks for the info fellows. I'm going to visit a local shop tomorrow that always has quite a few items on consignment and see what he would ask for it.

rock185 - I understand. I once thought about selling my NIB Colt Combat Traget and both dealers I visited told me they had never seen one and would not expect to ever sell it. They wanted to label it a "niche gun", forget the fact they only made them for one year.

Another point, I won't do consignment. I put a NAA Guardian 380 at this shop three years ago. I received a call from the owner a couple days later. One of the employees allowed a customer to take it apart and then neither he or the employee could get it back together. Fortunately no damage was done by the "dynamic duo". I took the pistol home with me and held on to it until I found a buyer.

rock185
07-06-2012, 21:26
hi-power, I have consigned several guns, but fortunately never had that happen, as with your NAA. The shops I've dealt with most recently all wanted 20% off the top to sell anything. Fair enough, they get to decide what they charge. The last two also tried to talk me down on price, obviously for a quick sale. I held out for a higher price at both places and both sold at the higher prices.

Recently, with some trepidation, I decided to try Gun Broker on my own. Gun soon sold for more than I could have netted at any shop. Smooth transaction, my FFL to buyers FFL, minimal GB fee, no problems at all. I think I am done with consignments to gun shops. Anyway, I think, even used, your PM-9 is worth a lot more than the $600.00 someone mentioned. Just before this most recent run of PM-9s was released, I saw a used one advertised on an auction site for $1700.00,IIRC. I don't know if it sold...

deadite
07-07-2012, 05:35
A good way to establish value is to look on Gunbroker.com and see what they are going for...ones that actually sell, not ones that have a ridiculous starting price that just sit there.

I know that 600 rounds isn't much for a good 1911, but buyers will treat that like it's a lot.

Believe it or not, 9mm 1911s are very popular with 1911 fans, so don't believe the "who wants a 1911 in 9 mm?" crowd.

Personally, I sell and trade a ton of hand guns and I would never try to sell one back to the gun store...unless you like losing money on deals. List it locally in the paper or like I do, on a local firearms related forum. That way you get closer to what you want.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Elsilrac1
07-07-2012, 19:16
I think you will find the PM9 is in high demand since they are made on a limited basis. I would think you would be closer to the 1K mark based on your condition. As always it will depend on the market and buyers.