Visiting parks in Michigan in Sep/Oct? - Advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Visiting parks in Michigan in Sep/Oct? - Advice

Lt.Kubosh
07-06-2012, 02:41
Hello guys,
I'm planning to visit the USA and I'd like to see some north parks - Michigan or Wisconsin ones.
So the plan is to arrive at Detroir or Chicago for +-7 days. 2-3 days for the city and after this visit the forest(s).

Probably not to camp there, but drive in walk, look and spend the night in B&B.

Is it the good idea to visit these parks at the end of September or beginning of October? (Cold, rains, fogs or parks already closed?)

BTW> Could you provide me some short description for camping in parks? I mean is there a dedicated place for placing tent, fireplace, ?toilets?, water source?

Thank you
Martin

Hauptmann6
07-06-2012, 06:56
End of September/mid October is color tour time. There are MANY state parks in northern Michigan, really it depends on where you want to go. It's That time of year is very variable for weather. Can be 75 or it could be 60.

And the campgrounds vary as well. If you go to a state park, you rent a lot with a picnic table, fire pit and maybe and electrical hookup. With a shower/restrooms within few hundred yards.

If you go to a state forest campground. You rent a lot with a table and fire pit. And there are pit toilets within a few hundred yards.

Either way, most people that will be camping will either being doing the color tour or small game hunting.

Here's the official website. Look around and if you find something that looks good, ask about it and someone here has probably been there and can give you better info.
http://www.midnrreservations.com/SearchPark.aspx
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365---,00.html

If you are looking to go hiking you want to go into the far west end of the Upper Peninsula to go to the Porcupine Mountains. That is a 12-14 hour drive from Detroit and I would guess 8-12 from Chicago.

There is TONS of state forest in the lower peninsula but it's not set up for hiking. There might be some ATV trails but mainly it's just woods and swamp. Some areas are well divided up with dirt roads though. Depends on where you go. But where ever you end up, make sure you wear blaze orange as it will be bird/rabbit season at that time of year.

Hauptmann6
07-06-2012, 07:05
If you fly in to Detroit, anything in the northern half of the lower peninsula is going to be a 5-7 hour drive.

Unless you have been to the states most people can't comprehend how large even a mid sized state like Michigan is. Michigan is a little bit larger in land area than ALL of the UK.

sourdough44
07-07-2012, 11:32
I'd look into getting some tourist/camping/travel info from MI & WI. After that narrow down your area of interest some. I'd suggest going North in either State.

Lt.Kubosh
07-16-2012, 15:04
guys, thank you very much for your answers. They're helpful!