Gunshots in the woods: Norwalk man arrested for firing gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gunshots in the woods: Norwalk man arrested for firing gun

TBO
07-06-2012, 06:36
http://www.acorn-online.com/joomla15/wiltonbulletin/news/localnews/125907-gunshots-in-the-woods-norwalk-man-arrested-for-firing-gun.html

LoadToadBoss
07-06-2012, 06:55
Connecticut is weird. Here is Louisiana there's nothing illegal about discharging your firearm in the woods provided you're not trespassing on private property. The article did not say if the man was on private or public lands. Oh, and BTW, it's never a good idea to lie to the popo.

TBO
07-06-2012, 07:28
Connecticut is weird. Here is Louisiana there's nothing illegal about discharging your firearm in the woods provided you're not trespassing on private property. The article did not say if the man was on private or public lands. Oh, and BTW, it's never a good idea to lie to the popo.

Inside city limits.

Bruce M
07-06-2012, 08:14
I wonder how far he was from civilization when he fired.

firefighter4215
07-06-2012, 08:28
I wonder how far he was from civilization when he fired.

Legally I don't think it matters if he was indeed inside city limits.

RussP
07-06-2012, 08:54
http://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=Ay5GWBeob_WIPLDYoIWcfVXxvZu9XwJ55OX7Ag,b-jpyxcW6PMPBs6PcGo1a8GqBi3lWwAVxziqPcHfaJwyeaK6NZWI7oSNKONo8fND0Lr_AmlwRZ-_GJvYMHXYS8QdvKvfn5liKK9X12ykpac-d3HxeL8-UmuHWUhEtfvx8g08c-P1QqZpaMB5B9m5zctmdwmIkJJVIr6UXW5IGc1tVis

The town boundary encompasses a whole lot of land...

ithaca_deerslayer
07-06-2012, 11:45
Many years ago, wife and I were hiking in the woods during the Summer.

I wouldn't do this now, but back then I wasn't thinking of various potential issues. We were each carrying, with extra mags, and happened upon some guys target shooting their AK's. Just seemed like normal guys who found a good place to shoot, and it all looked fun and innocent. So we asked to join them. They seem surprised but said ok, and asked what we were going to shoot. Pulled out the handgun and did some target shooting. I know, sounds completely dumb now, but didn't seem like any big deal back then. Was a place where hunting was allowed, too. The guys were young, probably didn't have any place of their own to shoot.

So, my wife and I pack up and leave, and as we were walking out and getting to our car, a trooper pulls in. The trooper paid no attention to us at all, didn't ask us any questions, but started to head down the trail on foot.

I could only guess afterwards that maybe target shooting wasn't an allowed use of that land, even though hunting was. And probably some other hikers called the cops on the target shooters. I can't remember if the other guys were still shooting when we left, but I know they were still down there.

I can only imagine them trying to explain that they weren't the only ones shooting :rofl: No idea if they got a ticket or just told to knock it off, or maybe even worse, depending upon their background and how they reacted to the situation :)

I know I learned to never again be quite so social about impromptu target shooting opportunities. Now, I belong to 2 gun clubs and restrict my target shooting to either the range or on my own property. And I also nowadays would not reveal that I was carrying a handgun.

Maybe age does make one wiser afterall. They weren't criminals, I'm certain of that, but they likely got a good yelling at by the tropper.

Bruce M
07-06-2012, 12:23
Legally I don't think it matters if he was indeed inside city limits.
I agree legally, however decision making might be called into question dependng how far he is from the nearest road, house, etc. Also my guess is about the time he changed his story from "no" to "I was signalling for help," he greatly increased scrutiny upn himself.

Paul53
07-06-2012, 19:36
Another crime spree by a gun crazed maniac averted! Do they have 8 by 10 color glossy photos of the crime scene, the getaway route, not to mention the aerial photos? Shades of Alice's Resturaunt! Not too far from that heinous crime scene either!:rofl:

glockaviator
07-07-2012, 12:36
Many cities have ordinances prohibiting discharge of firearms within the city limits, with exceptions of firing ranges and maybe some other exceptions.