Moisin Nagant M44 question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Moisin Nagant M44 question

clancy
07-06-2012, 16:12
A coworker has an M-44 carbine for sale. I fired it, and the bolt stuck so that he had to beat the bolt against a tree to get it to open. The cartridge case was stuck in the chamber, and we had to use a cleaning rod to push it out. As one who knows nothing about Moisin-Nagants, I am hoping that someone here can give me a little insight to what is causing this, if it is a minor or major issue, and if it will require a lot of money and or work to remedy. I offerd the guy $100 before I shot it, and might consider offering him $50 once I find out what the issue is.

Any help would be appreciated.

arclight610
07-06-2012, 16:18
What ammo was he shooting? I know this is can occur when shooting overpowered MG rounds.

Baba Louie
07-06-2012, 16:24
1st thing comes to mind, a pitted/corroded chamber, ala the initial M16s Colt sent to Vietnam w/ our troops. If that is the case, reaming it a tad might help some. Reaming it and chromeplating it might be even better (if in fact that is the issue) but will be spendy... if it's possible at all. :shocked:

I vote pass?

clancy
07-06-2012, 16:25
Tula, steel case, 7.64X54. He says it has happpened with both steel case and brass.

hogship
07-06-2012, 16:25
It could be that it just needs a good cleaning, but it could also be the ammo, or chamber dimensions............hard to speculate.

I had a M44 MN at one time, and my personal opinion of them is they are very cheaply made, and not really worth owning. I sold mine at a profit. Mine seemed to be reliable enough, but only shot one box of Wolf ammo through it. I'm sure these are good rifles for the purpose.......but, it is what it is.

$50 isn't a bad price, considering what they go for......but, I wouldn't have one at that price, if I had to keep it. It's nothing more than a waste of valuable gunsafe space to me.

ooc

The one that came and went:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/278369489.jpg

Decguns
07-06-2012, 16:52
When the bolt is that hard to open on a Mosin, you either have a corroded chamber or a major over-pressure situation. Most Mosins that have been imported have been refinished on the outside, but the barrels are original and typically have some level of pitting from the corrosive primed ammo. First thing I'd check is the condition of the chamber. Remove the bolt and get a good look at the chamber & the bore. If the chamber has any imperfections, it'll cause rough extraction.

A major over-pressure could be caused by rifling clogged with powder residue and metal fouling (copper fouling). That can be cured with a stainless steel bore brush and a good bore solvent. The other problem that occasionally crops up is the bore dimensions. The 7.62X54R shoots a .310" projectile. Due to war time production, the diameter of the bores often vary from .310 to .313". Sometimes, you'll even find a Mosin with a .308" diameter bore. I have an interesting 1941 dated M91/30 with a .308" bore that is threaded for a silencer. It shoots light ball fine, but yellow tipped heavy ball causes all kinds of pressure issues. Many M44s were made from cut down M91/30s, so you never know if he has a true odd ball, tight bored rifle.

trashcat
07-06-2012, 17:10
I like my m44 it's a great plinker and a blast to shoot. Many of your shell sticking issues are from a dirty chamber especially if all the cosmoline wasn't cleaned out of the chamber before being shot. It'll cook into a glue like coating on the chamber that sticks rather well to varnish coated cases when hot. You can usually pick up a brand new (to the US) m44 cosmoline grease stick for $100.
Some fine steel wool, cleaner, an undersized chamber brush or similar should be able to clean off any cooked cosmoline out of the chamber.
Check out this page for cleaning http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

Even with a perfectly clean chamber it'll start getting hard to operate after 50-100 rounds of surplus ammo.
The m44 was not accurate when it was new and it wont be accurate now but I think it's a blast to shoot.

Top_Shot_31
07-06-2012, 17:41
Sticky Mosin Bolt? Here's how to "Make your Mosin Rock" - YouTube

Buy it, then follow this video step by step. You absolutely will not be disappointed.

vafish
07-06-2012, 19:05
I like my m44 it's a great plinker and a blast to shoot. Many of your shell sticking issues are from a dirty chamber especially if all the cosmoline wasn't cleaned out of the chamber before being shot. It'll cook into a glue like coating on the chamber that sticks rather well to varnish coated cases when hot. You can usually pick up a brand new (to the US) m44 cosmoline grease stick for $100.
Some fine steel wool, cleaner, an undersized chamber brush or similar should be able to clean off any cooked cosmoline out of the chamber.
Check out this page for cleaning http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinCleaning.htm

Even with a perfectly clean chamber it'll start getting hard to operate after 50-100 rounds of surplus ammo.
The m44 was not accurate when it was new and it wont be accurate now but I think it's a blast to shoot.

Where are you finding m44's for $100?

Haven't seen them in that price for 2 years.

Cheapest lately is $149 plus shipping.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Top_Shot_31
07-06-2012, 19:08
Mine was $180 at a gun show in June 2011. That would still be a fair price today.

stolenphot0
07-06-2012, 19:40
Aim just got a shipment in. :whistling:

raven11
07-06-2012, 19:56
Aim just got a shipment in. :whistling:

The price is still a bit more than $100 but more tolerable than the $200 they were selling it for at the beginning of the year

07-06-2012, 22:24
When the bolt is that hard to open on a Mosin, you either have a corroded chamber or a major over-pressure situation. Most Mosins that have been imported have been refinished on the outside, but the barrels are original and typically have some level of pitting from the corrosive primed ammo. First thing I'd check is the condition of the chamber. Remove the bolt and get a good look at the chamber & the bore. If the chamber has any imperfections, it'll cause rough extraction.

A major over-pressure could be caused by rifling clogged with powder residue and metal fouling (copper fouling). That can be cured with a stainless steel bore brush and a good bore solvent. The other problem that occasionally crops up is the bore dimensions. The 7.62X54R shoots a .310" projectile. Due to war time production, the diameter of the bores often vary from .310 to .313". Sometimes, you'll even find a Mosin with a .308" diameter bore. I have an interesting 1941 dated M91/30 with a .308" bore that is threaded for a silencer. It shoots light ball fine, but yellow tipped heavy ball causes all kinds of pressure issues. Many M44s were made from cut down M91/30s, so you never know if he has a true odd ball, tight bored rifle.

91/59s carbines were made from cut down 91/30s - easily confirmed by barrel thickness and rear site.

No M44s were ever made cutting by down full sized rifles.

If there are many M44s made from 91/30s there ought to be picts, in some collections and easily found for sale. I've never seen one and I've been collecting mosins for 10+ years.

kf4zra
07-07-2012, 01:42
usually a buildup of lacquer in the chamber.
its pretty common
some acetone on a shotgun brush in the chamber cleans it up.
could be pitting in the chamber too, but its usually just some lacquer or hardened cosmoline in the chamber. If the chamber is pitted, you will see it imprinted on the extracted case. if you see this, i would pass on the gun

i have used a steel brush on a drill in the chamber with solvent to clean the hell outta the chamber
i have replaced several extractors due to stuck ammo breaking them.

for $50 i would take a chance. for 150 you can get one from a retailer where if you have a problem you can send it back

they are great guns, lots of fun. since its a coworker, you can probably try to clean it with him, that way you can know its good, and feel fine paying $100 for it.

heres a link to mosin sticky bolt syndrome.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sticky_bolt.htm

you can google "mosin sticky bolt" and find lots of information on it.

good luck, hopefully you will be a member of the mosin club soon.

be careful, they multiply quickly :)

here is my brood:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j89/kf4zra/IMG_2341.jpg