Old Colt report: Officer's Model (target) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Old Colt report: Officer's Model (target)

Berto
07-06-2012, 20:43
I decided to shoot at the 25yrd outdoor bullseye range today, so I brought my 1912 dated Colt Officers .38 along.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7167/colt004.jpg

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3237/colt005.jpg

Ammo was Rem 125gr +p SJHP. These chrono between 1050 and 1100fps from 4" .357mag chambered guns, I can only guess in this gun, as I've seen Colts run slower at times...but it should be good for similar velocities, or better.
As this is well below the .38/44 pressures this gun was deemed sufficiently strong enough for, I felt safe using the ammo...though I rarely run anything but std pressure wadcutters.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6029/colt002j.jpg

All shooting was offhand, single action. The gun has a decent DA trigger, too, with the characteristic 'stacking' before the break....but this is really a bullseye gun, so I shoot it SA. I can only describe the SA pull as being just a little heavier than the metaphorical "wish off" weight, maybe 3lbs or so, I should get a gauge for that, dammit.

Shots went low and right a little, it's sighted for 148gr WC's.

50 went into 5.25"....not bad, for me.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/6445/colt003.jpg

The tyler insert makes the gun handle nicely for me, recoil actually had a hint of attitude for .38sp in a fairly heavy revolver, but easily managed , of course.

The gun has the feel of a nicely broken in weapon; The action locks up 'bank vault' tight, as you'd expect from the .41 frame Colts, but the opening/closing of the cylinder is smooth and loose feeling, but solid at the same time.
The wear from use shows, as most of the finish is gone and the bore is just showing a hint of frost- not enough to present any qualms about shooting, though...and it seems to shoot fine.:supergrin:

bac1023
07-06-2012, 20:50
Very nice Berto :cool:

I'm picking up an old Officer's Model Match shortly.

hogship
07-06-2012, 21:11
Yep......that's a nice old Colt.

There is another thread going where a similar Smith revolver is being asked about. You've probably seen it. Out of curiosity, what would you say your Colt is worth?

thx

ooc

Berto
07-06-2012, 21:16
I paid $369 for it, it's worth about $500 in this condition more than likely.

fnfalman
07-06-2012, 23:28
not bad at all, Berto. I need to find me an old OMM to round out my Colt Target series. I've encountered the later model OMMs, but not the older ones.

Glock40man
07-07-2012, 01:22
Nice old colt and, good shooting Berto.:cool:

ithaca_deerslayer
07-07-2012, 05:53
50 went into 5.25"....not bad, for me.

You are too funny :)

ronin.45
07-07-2012, 10:37
It's no classic Smith, but it appears to shoot ok.:supergrin:

got2hav1
07-07-2012, 12:46
Nice shooting and beautiful old Colt. I have a 1959 OMM and have been very impressed with it. One of my favorites.:cool:

Berto
07-07-2012, 13:30
The coolest thing for me is just shooting it and knowing this gun dates back before my grandparents were born, the 4th year of production for the Ford model T and William Taft as President.
If the thing could only talk...

bac1023
07-07-2012, 17:39
The coolest thing for me is just shooting it and knowing this gun dates back before my grandparents were born, the 4th year of production for the Ford model T and William Taft as President.
If the thing could only talk...Yeah, that sort of thing is always cool Berto.

Berto
07-07-2012, 21:14
It's no classic Smith, but it appears to shoot ok.:supergrin:

It was very 4 'O clock that day.:supergrin:

pennlineman
07-08-2012, 06:14
That is a very nice old Colt. I've seen a few old Rugers and Colts I'd like to have. But I'm try to stay focused on S&W.

Wadcutters are hard to find around here for some reason. So I bought a Lyman mold for 150 grain WC's last week. Yesterday I cast about 500 bullets. I still have to size and lube them. I've always cast my own muzzleloading bullets, this is my first for modern guns. I can't wait to give them a try.

Anyways, cool gun and great shooting. :thumbsup:

Berto
07-08-2012, 08:54
That is a very nice old Colt. I've seen a few old Rugers and Colts I'd like to have. But I'm try to stay focused on S&W.

Wadcutters are hard to find around here for some reason. So I bought a Lyman mold for 150 grain WC's last week. Yesterday I cast about 500 bullets. I still have to size and lube them. I've always cast my own muzzleloading bullets, this is my first for modern guns. I can't wait to give them a try.

Anyways, cool gun and great shooting. :thumbsup:

I sooo need to get set up for handloading, but I literally don't have any space. Once I move to a larger home I can put the guitars and bicycles someplace other than my bedroom.:upeyes:
The local outdoor range is bullseye oriented and has a good supply of the Black Hills wadcutter load, which is an excellent shooter in .38sp, they also stock the 200gr SWC in .45acp-equally good. It's expensive though.
The Colt may be old, but it is at least as capable as my 14-3, from what I'm seeing, and I'd guess the faster twist probably helps with low velocity wadcutters.

pennlineman
07-08-2012, 09:33
I'm not sure the casting is a real money saver when you include the time invested into it. But it does give me a lot more options when it comes to reloading. I'm looking forward to trying the Keith bullets in .44 and ..45 Colt, maybe even .357.

Reloading does save you a lot of money, especially if you use cast bullets most of the time. Where it really pays off is rifle and larger less common pistol calibers like .44 spl, .45 Colt, 500 mag etc. 9mm is hardly worth the effort being so cheap to begin with. I have so much brass that I do reload for it, but I still buy some now and then. My .375 H&H is a good example. The last factory box of twenty I bought cost a bit over $60. Not including the cost of the brass, I can reload 100 of the same rounds (same or better bullet @ the same velocity) for less than $100. Plus I can create loads that can't be bought in stores.

Good luck in getting a bigger place, you'd be good at reloading. In the mean time hang on to your brass, it's one of the most expensive components.

Berto
07-08-2012, 09:37
I'm saving the brass, even 9mm.
I have about 200rnds of 7.62x38R (Nagant revolver) and .44sp too.:supergrin:

deguelo
07-08-2012, 12:58
nice wheelie, berto. don't make them like that anymore.

Very nice Berto :cool:

I'm picking up an old Officer's Model Match shortly.

i just picked up an omm in .22..... what caliber did you score, bac? regards to all-- deguelo

69HEMI-R/T
07-08-2012, 13:30
Very nice old Colt Berto and pretty good shootin' also ! Better than I could do, for sure.

L Pete
07-08-2012, 14:27
I wished my Colt "Army" would shoot that good.......Heck, I just wished it would shoot six out of six. It's a big, heavy POS.

Berto
07-08-2012, 18:33
I wished my Colt "Army" would shoot that good.......Heck, I just wished it would shoot six out of six. It's a big, heavy POS.

If it's 100yrs old, cut it some slack.:supergrin:

CajunBass
07-09-2012, 02:21
Hey man. I was looking at that target, and I know what the problem is.

Your cylinder is rotating the wrong way. :whistling: You need to get a cylinder reverser for that thing. :supergrin:

Seriously, nice old Colt. I got rid of all mine, and decided to just keep a few really nice Smiths, but old Colts still tempt me.

Say, Berto. If you want to get into reloading, and don't have any space, do what I did and get a Lee Hand Press and a set of Lee dies. It's sort of like a big nutcracker. A couple other small tools like Lee auto primer and it all pretty well fits into a shoebox. I don't even use the powder measure and scale anymore. The Lee dies come with a little dipper for powder. Just check the list for your cartridge, pick a powder from it, and use the dipper. Works fine as long as you're satisfied with a limited selection of powder charges and don't mind it being a little slow. You can get everything you really need for about $100.00. I haven't shot a factory cartridge for years.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Other%20Stuff/001-4.jpg

Berto
07-09-2012, 14:40
Hey man. I was looking at that target, and I know what the problem is.

Your cylinder is rotating the wrong way. :whistling: You need to get a cylinder reverser for that thing. :supergrin:

Seriously, nice old Colt. I got rid of all mine, and decided to just keep a few really nice Smiths, but old Colts still tempt me.

Say, Berto. If you want to get into reloading, and don't have any space, do what I did and get a Lee Hand Press and a set of Lee dies. It's sort of like a big nutcracker. A couple other small tools like Lee auto primer and it all pretty well fits into a shoebox. I don't even use the powder measure and scale anymore. The Lee dies come with a little dipper for powder. Just check the list for your cartridge, pick a powder from it, and use the dipper. Works fine as long as you're satisfied with a limited selection of powder charges and don't mind it being a little slow. You can get everything you really need for about $100.00. I haven't shot a factory cartridge for years.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/CajunBass/Other%20Stuff/001-4.jpg

That's an idea I've considered, especially since I know I will obsess over every step anyways. I just want to make sure the dies are quality and I can get good crimps since much of the reloading will be for small guns like the J frame and Bond Derringer.
I have a chrono already, so I can dial in my loads.

pennlineman
07-09-2012, 17:46
Nothing wrong with that set up. I started out much the same with the dippers and all. It works. I still use the hand priming tools. I would not worry too much about the dies, I've always used RCBS. I know guys that like and use Lee, they all work good. For heavy crimps try seating and crimping in two separate steps. It works better for me. Carbide dies for pistol cartridges are worth the extra $ IMO. I used to use the dippers to get me close to the powder charge I wanted, then used a powder trickler and a scale to go the rest of the way. So you're not really limited with the powder charges. Just a little more time consuming, thats all.

There is nothing easier to reload for than revolver cartridges, a good place to start. Two powders that will cover any pistol loading are Unique for standard loads and H110 or 296 which are virtually the same for the magnum loads. I could easily live the rest of my life using just these two powders. H110 and 296 produce some impressive fire balls.

257 roberts
07-09-2012, 18:10
Nice gun and nice shooting and yea at least worth $500.