CZ75, why so inexpensive? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CZ75, why so inexpensive?

Tim151515
07-06-2012, 21:20
I have been just wondering this for a while now, figured I would ask the experts. Around here, when theyre in stock, they normally go for around 500. My dad has a beretta, and they seem to me to be very similar, if not identical, build quality and reliability/accuracy. And the beretta around here goes for about 100 dollars(if not more, usually around 620 or so) more money for NIB. I was just wondering why CZ is able and willing to sell them for so much mroe less than the Western European equivalent? I am not complaining, but it just has always made me wonder.

bac1023
07-06-2012, 21:26
Shhh...

Tim151515
07-06-2012, 21:31
Shhh...

:embarassed: I know I know...I should have known better. I remember that one time CZUSA posted a link to a cz75 thread on their facebook..so I know eyes are watching...but damn...I mean I know its no Sig...but everytime I see the price of my favorite gun...Im like WOW.

countrygun
07-06-2012, 21:39
European labor costs.

The basic manufacturing costs have been amortized by military contracts.

They don't show up in as many movies and TV shows as more expensive guns.

The expensive "penalty tax" levied on those who spill the beans about them..

Tim151515
07-06-2012, 21:49
European labor costs.

The basic manufacturing costs have been amortized by military contracts.

They don't show up in as many movies and TV shows as more expensive guns.

The expensive "penalty tax" levied on those who spill the beans about them..

haha! point taken. What I meant to say was damn those things are overpriced :whistling: I am really liking the p7 duty...dont wana screw myself over ;)

Sheepdog Scout
07-06-2012, 21:53
Shhh...
:rofl:

I don't think anyone here can give an answer they're completely comfortable with.

Could be labor cost in the Czech Republic and surrounding areas. Could be they're doing there best to compete for the US market. Since CZ isn't widely known or thought of in the USA, compared to other makers. Could be because the basic CZ75 and similar models are the most copied handgun pattern in the world (minus the USA).

raven11
07-06-2012, 22:48
I think it's because cz had the right marketing people. CZ knew that they did not have a huge reputation in the states so if the price was took high consumers would buy a 92FS, Sig , Browning Hi-Power, etc and they had to compete against their clones from EAA , Witness, tangfoglio, Turkish pistols , etc

So they found a price that was only a little more than a cz clone and less expensive than other famous brands but backed up with a great warrantee and parts,mags,etc

For the average consumer it's a no brainer, unless you wanted a cz in 10mm or a .45 in a CZ 75 frame there is almost no reason to buy a clone and you would have to pay more to find a steel 9mm/.40

Scott3670
07-06-2012, 23:18
Not sure about why the cost is so low, but all I know is that I paid $365 for my BNIB CZ P07. By far the best deal I ever made. I'm already preparing for my next CZ purchase.

oldnoob
07-07-2012, 00:48
Stop it. It's already 50% higher than what it was 4 years ago.

Sheepdog Scout
07-07-2012, 01:15
I think it's because cz had the right marketing people. CZ knew that they did not have a huge reputation in the states so if the price was took high consumers would buy a 92FS, Sig , Browning Hi-Power, etc and they had to compete against their clones from EAA , Witness, tangfoglio, Turkish pistols , etc

So they found a price that was only a little more than a cz clone and less expensive than other famous brands but backed up with a great warrantee and parts,mags,etc

For the average consumer it's a no brainer, unless you wanted a cz in 10mm or a .45 in a CZ 75 frame there is almost no reason to buy a clone and you would have to pay more to find a steel 9mm/.40

They make the 97b and bd is .45.

Though the 97 is just slightly heavier, longer and higher. But the width is within .002 of each other.

Glock40man
07-07-2012, 01:25
Shhh...

:rofl:

raven11
07-07-2012, 01:42
They make the 97b and bd is .45.

Though the 97 is just slightly heavier, longer and higher. But the width is within .002 of each other.

Still, doesn't have the look of a 75

Sheepdog Scout
07-07-2012, 03:26
Still, doesn't have the look of a 75

True. It doesn't have the classic look. But with all the variants like the PO1 series. It fits right in to me.:cool:

bac1023
07-07-2012, 04:12

They have gone up somewhat.

MarcDW
07-07-2012, 05:05
CZ's are great guns and CZ has to do something on the marketing to make them better known.
From the price I think they are just right.

Boats
07-07-2012, 06:05
Lots of highly finished internal machining that you'll see on a SIG or a Beretta is simply not done on most of the CZ models. Instead, all of that roughness is hidden under a black polycoat.

Also, and maybe it's only my impression, but the example to example similarity of things like triggers on CZ pistols are highly variable.

Don't get me wrong, they are great pistols, but shortcuts to make their price point are made. TANSTAAFL.

motorcyclist
07-07-2012, 06:59
A quick Google search and the Czech republic does have lower labour costs compared to most eastern European nations.
I agree with Boats point on quality control. Many here posted how great the trigger is on their 75B while mine was horrible new. Read some on the CZ forum and the Czech's appear to get the good out of every cutting tool before it's changed. While the external finnish on my stainless 75B is very nice (can't hide it with polycoat) some of the internal parts look like they were chewed on by small animals. My Beretta's are much nicer finnished, especially inside. Still though, with a little owner involvment it's one of those timeless designs that was done right the first time. Shoot a 75B and you'll want one.

bullseye717
07-07-2012, 08:46
Because the Czechs are kind benevolent people with great beer, beautiful women, and cheap wonderful guns.

Shadyscott69
07-07-2012, 08:49
I much prefer the CZ to the Beretta. They are actually slowly going up in price.

.45Super-Man
07-07-2012, 12:35
As usual, I have to agree with Boats. Dont get me wrong, I'm very fond of my CZ75 but when compared to others, the shortcuts in the final finishing process become evident. That said, those shortcuts in no way, compromise the performance of this excellent design. Still prefer the Beretta though.:supergrin:

attrapereves
07-07-2012, 12:41
I bought my CZ-75B two years ago and paid around $475 NIB iirc. Currently, they seem to run about $500+ (if you can find one).

I kinda miss my 75B, but I might pick up a P-07 to replace it.

TJx
07-07-2012, 14:44
I have seen nothing whatsoever that would lead me to believe they cut any corners on my recently purchased NIB $442.99 CZ75B. The gun is as good as any other top brands from what I can see so far.
As to price, the only thing I can think of is the 75B is CZ's "Loss Leader" to introduce you to the brand. Most of their other guns are more in line with other manufacturers prices.

Metal Angel
07-07-2012, 15:12
I don't know where you guys are all finding CZs for less than 500. Buds had Berretta 92s with comparable features for the same price as CZ 75s.

collim1
07-07-2012, 16:23

Yup secrets out, they aren't near the deal they used to be.

Still awesome guns though.

attrapereves
07-07-2012, 18:41
I don't know where you guys are all finding CZs for less than 500. Buds had Berretta 92s with comparable features for the same price as CZ 75s.

When buds has them in stock, they usually run around $480 with free shipping.

CAcop
07-07-2012, 18:51
IIRC the Czech republic is pretty low cost of living. I remember one of those "retire early" articles a few years back said it was a good place to go for Americans in retirement.

mr00jimbo
07-07-2012, 19:01
They are made in a country with lower labor costs than Italy or the US, or Germany.
The basic models are inexpensive, sure, but you will see them go up in price past a grand for the more done-up models...then again, 1k in CZ land will get you much more than it will in say, Sig land.
I still like the idea that you can get an all-steel, reliable pistol without a rail.
Though I'm curious (not that it matters) is the frame cast or forged?

countrygun
07-07-2012, 19:20
I do have to put things in perspective for those who weren't around.

In 1982 if you wanted a CZ-75 (pre "B" of course) They couldn't be imported directly into the US. Remember this was also before the internet.

You had to find an FFL dealer who would find a dealer in Canada who would order one from CZ and import it to Canada, Paper it there, and then sell it to the US FFL who would then sell it to you.

The general cost was about $1,000.00 more or less a few . People actually did this and remember that wa a thousand 1982 dollars. I have some old Gun digests around, but off the top of may head, in that day you were close to the price of 3 Browning Hipowers.

Complain today, but you should have heard the complaining back then.

bac1023
07-07-2012, 20:20
Just get a Sphinx if you want to pay more for a CZ.

...a lot more that is. Apparently, the labor costs in Switzerland are much higher. ;)

Seriously, they are very nice pistols.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1914.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_1915.jpg

Boats
07-07-2012, 20:59
They are made in a country with lower labor costs than Italy or the US, or Germany.
The basic models are inexpensive, sure, but you will see them go up in price past a grand for the more done-up models...then again, 1k in CZ land will get you much more than it will in say, Sig land.
I still like the idea that you can get an all-steel, reliable pistol without a rail.
Though I'm curious (not that it matters) is the frame cast or forged?

The steel framed CZ pistols are cast.

bac1023
07-08-2012, 03:32

Yeah, they're definitely cast.

esh325
07-09-2012, 11:13
I don't know, but they are high quality that are very reliable in my experience.

How do you know?

fnfalman
07-09-2012, 11:16
Or the smart GIs stationed in Germany would buy a few then bring them back and sell off at $1000 a pop.

I do have to put things in perspective for those who weren't around.

In 1982 if you wanted a CZ-75 (pre "B" of course) They couldn't be imported directly into the US. Remember this was also before the internet.

You had to find an FFL dealer who would find a dealer in Canada who would order one from CZ and import it to Canada, Paper it there, and then sell it to the US FFL who would then sell it to you.

The general cost was about $1,000.00 more or less a few . People actually did this and remember that wa a thousand 1982 dollars. I have some old Gun digests around, but off the top of may head, in that day you were close to the price of 3 Browning Hipowers.

Complain today, but you should have heard the complaining back then.

countrygun
07-09-2012, 11:32
How do you know?

CZ says so.