Help: (Walther PPS) Magazine Tension Change [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help: (Walther PPS) Magazine Tension Change

fordhook2000
07-07-2012, 05:18
I originally posted this in the "gunsmithing" section, but it's been a few days and I haven't had any replies. Hoping to get a little better exposure here:

I've had something a little strange happen with one of my magazines for my go-to summer carry gun, a Walther PPS in .40.

Just recently, I noticed that one of my magazines started to be a LOT harder to load on a closed slide (1 in the chamber). I'm no stranger to having to give loaded mags a good belt to get them to seat after topping off--my Glocks certainly require a fair bit of "rough lovin'" on this count--but not only has this little Walther always seated full magazines fairly tenderly with a happy little click, this one magazine is now requiring a REALLY hard smack to get it to seat all the way and click into the release notch.

When I remove one round and load it with fewer than the maximum of 6, there's no problem. I have to really ram the 6th round in there. When I press on the top round in another one of my magazines topped off with 6, there is plenty of easy play in the spring for the round to push farther into the magazine, but there is virtually no "push" with 6 rounds in the problem mag. Obviously this is the problem, but I can't figure out what's causing it.

It's not the gun, I have three mags and it is only this one. All three magazines have the medium sized 6-round endcap.

I tried loading the magazine with a fresh set of 6 rounds, again with no change to its behavior.

I took the problem magazine apart and could find no obstructions, dirt, or obviously broken or deformed parts. I looked at each piece side by side with one from a properly functioning mag and could observe no difference anywhere.

It's mainly a nuisance, because I CAN get it to work, and I have taken to using this as the mag that I leave in the Condition 1 gun so that it's not a problem I would run into if I had to perform a tactical reload using this as a spare mag... Still, since it's a recent development and isn't consistent with my other mags, something is obviously not right, and I'd like to correct it if I can.

Did I mention that these ()@$*%^ PPS mags cost $60 a pop... :steamed:

What's going on? Any ideas?

Thank you!

hogship
07-07-2012, 05:28
Try using the follower from another magazine, and see if it changes anything.

ooc

fastbolt
07-07-2012, 11:12
When you reassemble the magazine with the M floorplate, is it possible the floorplate catch is still in a retracted, or partially retracted, position? Is the lateral extension of a similar height after your magazine has been assembled compared to another of your magazines that isn't exhibiting this condition?

Is the lateral extension at the correct angle?

I'd wonder if the floorplate catch wasn't descending fully down into the floorplate, which might prevent the spring from being compressed down into the M floorplate to the point needed for it to allow the intended room for the 6th round and normal functioning.