New G22 gen 4's still have the gray finish? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G22 gen 4's still have the gray finish?

fuzzy03cls
07-07-2012, 16:39
I'm looking for a new gen 4 G22. My current one is pretty worn & I want to make it a range training pistol & carry an identical gen 4 G22.
But the slide finish on mine is the grayish mess that just doesn't hold up well. Mine is well worn & it's only 2.5 years old.

Is it luck of the draw or? I have seen other gen 4 guns with the black finish. If there's a certain time Glock will be making the black slides I can wait.

And yes I know all about the finishes, & the coatings & it's just the outside finish, & it's a tool blah blah blah...

SJ 40
07-07-2012, 17:25
Most of what I have seen recently at my LGS is what I refer to as the newer matte black,tends to have a little texture that in the paint world would be called orange peel texture. That's what I have been seeing as of late. SJ 40

Hokiegrass
07-07-2012, 23:29
I'm looking for a new gen 4 G22. My current one is pretty worn & I want to make it a range training pistol & carry an identical gen 4 G22.
But the slide finish on mine is the grayish mess that just doesn't hold up well. Mine is well worn & it's only 2.5 years old.

Is it luck of the draw or? I have seen other gen 4 guns with the black finish. If there's a certain time Glock will be making the black slides I can wait.

And yes I know all about the finishes, & the coatings & it's just the outside finish, & it's a tool blah blah blah...

I agree with you, the gray finish sucks a big one, imo...

bunk22
07-08-2012, 09:11
I too prefer the black finish over the grey. My new Gen 4 G19 has the black but my Gen 3 G19 has the grey and does tend to show wear easily.

cbbully
07-08-2012, 10:24
care to share any pictures of what the new gray finish looks like when its well worn?

RLZIII
07-08-2012, 11:14
From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the shinny black finish is cause by Tenifer, while the matte grey finish is cause by nitration. GLOCK no longer makes guns with Tenifer, so new guns should all be grey. You can still find the older ones, but they will become harder over time (especially finding them new in box).

emtjr928
07-08-2012, 11:24
From what I understand (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the shinny black finish is cause by Tenifer, while the matte grey finish is cause by nitration. GLOCK no longer makes guns with Tenifer, so new guns should all be grey. You can still find the older ones, but they will become harder over time (especially finding them new in box).

I believe you are correct. One of the nasty byproducts of the old tenifer process was cyanide gas. Hense its demise.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SouthpawG26
07-08-2012, 11:33
The Tenifer or any other form of nitrocarburizing is a case hardening process that does not give the slide its black or grey finish.

Glock still uses nitrocarburizing case hardening, just not by way of the earlier Tenifer process, that indeed involved cyanates.

The finish, whether its black or grey, is a completely separate step.

SJ 40
07-08-2012, 13:19
The Tenifer or any other form of nitrocarburizing is a case hardening process that does not give the slide its black or grey finish.

Glock still uses nitrocarburizing case hardening, just not by way of the earlier Tenifer process, that indeed involved cyanates.

The finish, whether its black or grey, is a completely separate step.That is correct,posts 6&7 are not. Tenifer is absolutely not the exterior finish ,in either color or texture. SJ 40

RLZIII
07-08-2012, 14:58
While the Tenifer and nitration processes are different from the parkerized finish on the outside of the pistols, the color difference is based on the way the different treatments are applied. According to my AC's instructor, the finish isn't actually different; the final color just turns out a different shade based on the treatment used.

nraman
11-12-2012, 20:47
Is there a list of the serial numbers of Glocks with Grey finish?
I'd like to order a G21 soon and before I get it I want to make sure I get the black finish.
Did anybody with a grey slide try to send it back to Glock for refinishing?

vmann
11-12-2012, 21:38
While the Tenifer and nitration processes are different from the parkerized finish on the outside of the pistols, the color difference is based on the way the different treatments are applied. According to my AC's instructor, the finish isn't actually different; the final color just turns out a different shade based on the treatment used.
this wrong....there are still new shiney black glocks out there as well as dull grey and dull black ones....glock is not that concerned with the exterior finish on their pistols...they never have been

nraman
11-12-2012, 21:53
glock is not that concerned with the exterior finish on their pistols...they never have been

They should be. I am.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

fuzzy03cls
11-13-2012, 07:16
Yeah's there no way to know what finish will be on the gun until you look at one. Sorry.

nraman
11-13-2012, 10:54
Yeah's there no way to know what finish will be on the gun until you look at one. Sorry.

Too bad, I got stuck with a G21 that I had to buy once it came. I had to sell it right away because I couldn't stand the way it looked.
I was hoping to get another to replace the first.

Giggity-Giggity
11-13-2012, 10:59
My G17G4 has a shiny black finish. But the only gray finish I own is my G31G3 that I picked up a year a go:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Gregdog/Pin%20Ups/DSCN1972.jpg

CrackerKen
11-13-2012, 11:09
I have a Gen 3 G23 with the dull gray finish, which I'm not crazy about. I'm going to have the slide Duracoated in #5 Semi-Gloss Black in the very near future. That should turn out to be a nice slick looking finish. The shiny smooth surface on my Gen 3 G27 is much better, IMHO.

nraman
11-13-2012, 11:48
I have a Gen 3 G23 with the dull gray finish, which I'm not crazy about. I'm going to have the slide Duracoated in #5 Semi-Gloss Black in the very near future. That should turn out to be a nice slick looking finish. The shiny smooth surface on my Gen 3 G27 is much better, IMHO.

How about sending it back to Glock to have it refinished. I regret I didn't try that.

CrackerKen
11-13-2012, 14:58
^^ What sort of finish would the put on it? Another dull gray? Dull black? Shiny black?

nraman
11-13-2012, 16:10
^^ What sort of finish would the put on it? Another dull gray? Dull black? Shiny black?

I would expect the current finish that replaced the hated grey.
I believe that Glock has a refinishing service for guns with worn out finish.

BossGodfrey
11-14-2012, 11:37
My g22gen4 dated 1-12 has the shiny black as did the one dated 3-12. My g23gen4 dated 10-11 had the grey finish. It sucked big time ! The new ones are still coming with the black thankfully !

joe0121
11-14-2012, 11:46
How about sending it back to Glock to have it refinished. I regret I didn't try that.
Why not just ceramacoat or duracoat it what ever color you want?

whitebread
11-14-2012, 14:06
I don't see how the finish is of concern. It is a firearm. Just use the damn gun and don't worry about the sheen of your slide's finish.

nraman
11-14-2012, 16:40
I don't see how the finish is of concern. It is a firearm. Just use the damn gun and don't worry about the sheen of your slide's finish.

Well, unlike the SEAL team six and Rambo types that use their Glocks for killing only, there are some owners that actually enjoy a good quality, good looking pistol that they can use for both fun and protection.
Yes, believe it or not, some think that guns in general and Glocks in particular can be fun. Some even have more than one.
BTW historically speaking, men have always cared about how their weapons look. Don't take my word, go to a museum.
On another note, the "grey" finish is not as durable as the better looking black finish, which means that even the SEALs on this forum should give a damn.
YMMV

silly boy
11-14-2012, 17:15
The slide on my G22 Gen4 is black. It was test fired on july 31 if that matters.

nraman
11-14-2012, 17:48
The slide on my G22 Gen4 is black. It was test fired on july 31 if that matters.

I recently bought a couple of baby Glocks, one test fired in January the other in May, both look great. Not even sure if the baby Glocks were ever part of the experiment.
The problem is that I bought the G21 during the summer and it was grey. I think we need to figure out serial numbers per model. Sometimes I buy online and I can't trust the pictures posted.