Pocket carry G36? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry G36?

slainer
07-07-2012, 17:26
I plan on carrying my G36 IWB but does anyone pocket carry their G36? If so, what brand pocket holster do you use? It will be cargo pocket not jeans or dress slacks if pocket.
Thx. Slainer

vafish
07-07-2012, 18:10
I had one pair of cargo pants I could drop my G36 in, but I still never pocket carried it.

1smoothredneck
07-07-2012, 21:30
G36 is the size of a G19 or 23. NOT a pocket gun, ime. your pockets may vary.

Creatism
07-07-2012, 21:40
I have pocket carried my 36, not easy, not fun, NOT recommended! I used a remora holster when I did.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

G26S239
07-07-2012, 21:55
I guess if the cargo pockets are that huge you could. My 36 with 7 rounds of 230 grain Golden Sabers weighs 28.4 ounces so the weight might be a consideration.

MeanAction
07-07-2012, 22:26
I have a MIC holster and carry my G36 in my pocket at the time. I recomend this holster if you own a Glock no matter if you pocket carry or not. Great for storage and transport. Designed and made by an ex-marine at Glocktech. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1133/5103077279_e9fa722bde.jpg

nastytrigger
07-07-2012, 22:37
I pocket carried a Glock 19 in suit pants for a couple years (it's doable). I just used a cheap Uncle Mikes IWB, but cut off the clip.

The reasoning for pocket carry, was I didn't always wear a suit jacket, and my G19 was my (at the time) smallest gun. Had to conceal, so that was the easiest way, compared to IWB tuck, it hardly printed in the pocket. Still easy to draw too. If it matters, I'm 6'2", 200lbs.

I installed night sights on a friends G36, so I got to play with it for a day. I tried it on my hip and in my pocket. I didn't look at the specs, but the G36 felt a tad smaller both dimensionally and in weight, versus my G19.

G26S239
07-07-2012, 23:22
I have a MIC holster and carry my G36 in my pocket at the time. I recomend this holster if you own a Glock no matter if you pocket carry or not. Great for storage and transport. Designed and made by an ex-marine at Glocktech. http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1133/5103077279_e9fa722bde.jpg

That does look convenient.

slainer
07-08-2012, 11:23
I appreciate the input! I like the Mikes IWB and cutting the clip for the pocket!
Slainer

High Noon
07-08-2012, 14:53
I plan on carrying my G36 IWB but does anyone pocket carry their G36? If so, what brand pocket holster do you use? It will be cargo pocket not jeans or dress slacks if pocket.
Thx. Slainer

The 36 is big but can be carried in the pocket with the "correct" colthes. Baggy is better then tite fitting. We have the Pocket Grabber designed just for the 36. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Pocket_Grabber/_pocket_grabber.html

If not in a pocket that holster does well in a gear bag, glove compartment, pocket book etc etc. The trigger is covered and the holster is molded right on the 36.

You may like it.
Hope that helps.

Justin

Turk
07-08-2012, 22:46
The G-36 is too big IMO. No matter how big the pockets are it still flops around and feels very uncomfortable to me. I carry my 36 in a Galco FLETCH OWB holster. Feels very good.

GotFour
07-09-2012, 07:13
If your tailor is "Omar the Tent Maker", G36 pocket carry should not be a problem ........on the other hand you might want to ask Plaxico about pocket carrying Glocks :supergrin:

mj9mm
07-09-2012, 07:35
i like IWB with the "crossbreed" design, several makers offer competeing styles. it's hard to believe that people around you wouldn't be suspicious about the appearance of your pants with an object that big in your pocket.:whistling:, but using the unflattering nickname, you could tell them you have a "brick" in your pocket:embarassed:

High Noon
07-09-2012, 21:56
If your tailor is "Omar the Tent Maker", G36 pocket carry should not be a problem ........on the other hand you might want to ask Plaxico about pocket carrying Glocks :supergrin:

Many people customize the pockets to fit their choice of gun and holster. I think a 10.00 fix from a tailor.

Justin

LOCHFAL
07-13-2012, 20:30
If you are talking about cargo pockets in BDU's or such I won't reccomend it. I've always found that anything with any weight to it in those pockets is a PITA the pocket swings around and I'm always getting hit with the weight of the gun in the leg as I'm walking.
I have carried G36 in my front pocket and if the pocket is deep enough and shaped right for the holster and the gun it is not only possible but not unpleasant at all. My only complaint was I always wished for a flush fitting magazine for the 36. I even seriously considered butchering a factory mag to try and make one for it.

MeanAction
07-13-2012, 20:50
If you are talking about cargo pockets in BDU's or such I won't reccomend it. I've always found that anything with any weight to it in those pockets is a PITA the pocket swings around and I'm always getting hit with the weight of the gun in the leg as I'm walking.
I have carried G36 in my front pocket and if the pocket is deep enough and shaped right for the holster and the gun it is not only possible but not unpleasant at all. My only complaint was I always wished for a flush fitting magazine for the 36. I even seriously considered butchering a factory mag to try and make one for it.
I'm a G36 guy and I would love to see the flush magazine look.

Rcsteffen
07-14-2012, 07:07
Just yesterday, I pocket carried my 36 in the cargo pocket of some shorts for a quick run to the bank. It was in a Galco Summer Comfort holster. It worked, but I think it was kind of heavy for that, and definitely felt better IWB.

Crazyd
07-14-2012, 07:15
I am guessing this is strictly a trigger guard correct? if so how do you remove it in the draw process? I like the compact size of it just curious of the function

MeanAction
07-14-2012, 23:19
I am guessing this is strictly a trigger guard correct? if so how do you remove it in the draw process? I like the compact size of it just curious of the function
It's not a trigger guard. It's a holster. Here is how it works.
http://youtu.be/nYC_Un8pPnA

Crazyd
07-19-2012, 08:42
Wow I want one.

whatnickname
07-19-2012, 19:15
Yes it can be done but let's not forget the reason non-military / non-LEO people carry a gun in the first place...Protection. Right? The dynamics of the life or death decision to employ lethal force is generally such that most of us: 1) will not see the situation unfolding until its way past being "too late" to do much of anything about the matter and 2) the distance will likely be well under ten feet in most circumstances. Given these factors, the ability to deploy and use a gun quickly will be critical to the outcome of the transaction. Sorry, but pocket carry may well prevent a good many folks from bringing a weapon to bear quickly enough to tip the end result in their favor. I favor a good (read that professional) quality open top holster without any type of retention device. I just don't want to end up fumbling with lose clothing and wasted motion while I dig for my weapon in a critical life or death situation. I keep mine on my hip, good quality dress belt designed specifically for CCW (Kydex layer between two layers of leather) and in relatively close proximity to my wallet. Perhaps there's an edge here. If my opponent believes I may be reaching for the wallet he or she has just demanded I may (emphasis on the word may) be able to buy myself a few seconds before my attacker tumbles to the fact that they are about to get paid in lead rather than money. Given the dynamics of the situation I may also elect to comply and hand over my wallet anyway. It’s a case by case decision where quick assessment will make all the difference. Also a word about weapon size…the really tiny autos and revolvers are 1) going to be harder to “dig out” of concealment and 2) smaller in caliber. A compact weapon is good to a point but I want something big enough to hold on to, that packs a reasonably good punch and that I can score reasonably good hits with. My CCW weapons and things like my G36, G19 and S&W 6906.

MeanAction
07-19-2012, 21:57
Yes it can be done but let's not forget the reason non-military / non-LEO people carry a gun in the first place...Protection. Right? The dynamics of the life or death decision to employ lethal force is generally such that most of us: 1) will not see the situation unfolding until its way past being "too late" to do much of anything about the matter and 2) the distance will likely be well under ten feet in most circumstances. Given these factors, the ability to deploy and use a gun quickly will be critical to the outcome of the transaction. Sorry, but pocket carry may well prevent a good many folks from bringing a weapon to bear quickly enough to tip the end result in their favor. I favor a good (read that professional) quality open top holster without any type of retention device. I just don't want to end up fumbling with lose clothing and wasted motion while I dig for my weapon in a critical life or death situation. I keep mine on my hip, good quality dress belt designed specifically for CCW (Kydex layer between two layers of leather) and in relatively close proximity to my wallet. Perhaps there's an edge here. If my opponent believes I may be reaching for the wallet he or she has just demanded I may (emphasis on the word may) be able to buy myself a few seconds before my attacker tumbles to the fact that they are about to get paid in lead rather than money. Given the dynamics of the situation I may also elect to comply and hand over my wallet anyway. It’s a case by case decision where quick assessment will make all the difference. Also a word about weapon size…the really tiny autos and revolvers are 1) going to be harder to “dig out” of concealment and 2) smaller in caliber. A compact weapon is good to a point but I want something big enough to hold on to, that packs a reasonably good punch and that I can score reasonably good hits with. My CCW weapons and things like my G36, G19 and S&W 6906.
I agree that you need to be able to deploy rapidly or why carry. I like the feel and draw of OWB pancakes but I prefer the concealment of appendix carry with the MIC holster. I use John Jackson Leather Works.

whatnickname
07-20-2012, 18:11
I agree that you need to be able to deploy rapidly or why carry. I like the feel and draw of OWB pancakes but I prefer the concealment of appendix carry with the MIC holster. I use John Jackson Leather Works.

Whatever works for you. No disagreement with your choice...just saying what works for me. There just isn't a right or wrong answer in this case. I know of people that got themselves hurt or killed because they think this stuff should work like it does in the movies or TV; and that's just not the case at all. I can see some good value with the MIC holster just not for me. Most of my carry takes place while driving a car (45,000 miles a year on the interstate highways)so carring a pistol in the MIC holster in this mode is going to get uncomfortable due to my size and weight. I watched the video and just about died when the guy said: "Don't shoot your dick carry a MIC" :-))

harleypower69
07-21-2012, 14:57
I use the Galco PH286 in horsehide. It works fine for me in front pocket of my Levi's and my Lee jeans. Deployment is easy for me. I find it bounces around (like other members wrote) in BDU / cargo pants. It hides nicely for me but I am a tall guy (6ft, 212 lbs.). + 1 on the comment about magazine floor plates being flush. Hope this helps your decision making process.

Chris