#2 Barrel Contour VS #6 Heat Dissipation? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : #2 Barrel Contour VS #6 Heat Dissipation?

glockbanger
07-07-2012, 18:23
How much better does a #6 barrel contour dissipate heat than a #2 contour?

How much faster are you able to shoot with a #6 without the barrel getting too hot?

How much does fluting help heat dissipation and considerble weight reduced by fluting?

CAcop
07-07-2012, 20:55
When it comes to barrels the thinner it is the faster it heats up. Of course the thinner barrel cools off faster.

Now when it comes to fluting I think if you start out with a thick barrel and flute it to the thin barrel's diameter you will see cools of faster than before. Of course it heats up faster too. Now compared to a thinner barrel it is cut down to it will be more rigid. Of course you could always go with a barrel somewhere in between.

glockbanger
07-07-2012, 21:41
When it comes to barrels the thinner it is the faster it heats up. Of course the thinner barrel cools off faster.

Now when it comes to fluting I think if you start out with a thick barrel and flute it to the thin barrel's diameter you will see cools of faster than before. Of course it heats up faster too. Now compared to a thinner barrel it is cut down to it will be more rigid. Of course you could always go with a barrel somewhere in between.

I'm think I'm going to go with a #6 contour with no fluting. I don't like the way it looks. And I've never seen any hard evidence as to what fluting can do. It doesn't seems like it could realistically cut "that much" weight off.

hogship
07-07-2012, 22:11
I'm think I'm going to go with a #6 contour with no fluting. I don't like the way it looks. And I've never seen any hard evidence as to what fluting can do. It doesn't seems like it could realistically cut "that much" weight off.

When the big fluting craze was going strong, I bought a Remington 700 with a heavy fluted barrel. I believe it only marginally works for cooling, in that there is more surface area exposed to the atmosphere. I don't believe there is enough benefit to warrant any additional expense for that reason. There is one other benefit that a fluted barrel does give.....it's lighter in weight. This may not mean anything to someone who bench rests his rifle, but if you're going to lug it around, it does!

ooc

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431/781008/1425902/30712072.jpg

Jim Watson
07-08-2012, 09:24
CAcop has it.
The lighter barrel has less mass to absorb heat, it will gain more degrees per box of ammo than the heavier. It will cool faster because it has a greater surface area per unit of mass.
Theoretically, so will a fluted barrel with more radiating surface.
But is that good? It means that barrel temperature will swing up and down more during a string of fire. This is not good for accuracy.
Fluting a barrel also has the potential for releasing internal stresses unevenly.

One barrel fluter said he typically got 14 ounces off a large diameter barrel.

You don't see target rifles with skinny barrels and you don't see many with fluted barrels. I dare say you don't see any benchrest barrels with either a lot of taper or flutes.

glockbanger
07-08-2012, 19:42
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. 14 ounces is certainly a considerable weight reduction! I think I'm going to go with a heavy #6 contour over a #2. I'll be target shooting and hunting with the rifle. But not trekking far, so I doubt it will be a problem.

The only problem I could see that I would have with a heavier barrel is shooting freehand and game, it may be harder to hold steady. In the rifle I'm looking at we're talking about a 7.75lb rifle vs a 9.3lb rifle. What do you think? (Of course we're talking +scope weight)