Pedestrian perps threatening drivers in cars. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrian perps threatening drivers in cars.

Lakota
07-07-2012, 20:41
The preceding issue entitled, "Being approached in your car", is indeed a germane and unfortunately worthy subjection regarding the deterioting economy and corresponding increase of desperate car jackers and/or angry people (road ragers) in general.

funky2714 describes his experience in the entry:
"Being approached in your car"

Portions of Officer Mas' reply include the importance of calling 911 (especially before the perp does, as they often do) and another excerpt (in italics) I agree with and wish to comment further upon:

"It is possible to slip the gun out of the console and hide it under the thigh, but this introduces safety issues, including the fact that if you have to maneuver the vehicle suddenly to escape, the gun may be dislodged and become inaccessible."

For my part I alternately carry a Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II, or a G 26 (*147 gr. Federal LE Tactical +P) on my belt at 4 O'clock. When driving, an LC-9 (*) is under my right thigh, most folks know that the LC 9 is DAO and has a long trigger draw and requires about 6 and more pounds of pressure to fire. Of course these factors are conducive to safety for the described occasion, i.e., these features are in your favor regarding the circumstace of the subjected scenario...

Of course most CCWs familiar with ordnance are aware that the LC 9 is an unusually slim, light weapon and serves the issued purpose swimmingly. Its' 'melded' exterior proffers non snag withdrawal from the afore described location...

I fold a cotten bandana into a triangle, with the narrow part tied at the top of my thigh and the wider portion securing about two thirds of the weapon to avoid what Mas speaks of, in terms of possible loss of access to the weapon due to the ever incumbent possibility of irregular motion of a (moving) car introducing a 'loose cannon' (inaccessible) weapon - when seconds and fractions of seconds count, as they often do.

funky2714 indeed introduces an important consideration, while our venerable host allots his usual, tenable and multiple solutions.

Here's hoping my 2 cents worth helps.

Best regards,
- Lakota

Mas Ayoob
07-08-2012, 11:30
The two cents worth is appreciated, Lakota. Can you post a photo of your arrangement with the bandanna? How much inconvenience do you experience when you stop to get out of the car?

Best,
Mas

Lakota
07-08-2012, 12:49
Since I'm nearly computer illiterate beyond keyboard dexterity and the ability to post I'm unable to post a photograph.

Fortunately, the issue at hand is mercifully simple, as stated earlier you start with a triangle folded bandana with wide side beneath the right thigh: I stipulate the
'right' thigh here, because even a southpaw might inadvertently depart the vehicle and neglect to release and secure the subjected handgun, to effect a possible dropping - or complete loss - of the weapon upon disembarking the vehicle, while the advised location of the (whatever) firearm, minimises the possiblity of a 'drop', and/or complete loss of the weapon, even while departing the vehicle under non-stressful conditions: if you're in the passenger seat, of course this caveat is conversely reversed to utilise the left thigh, to insure that you don't depart the vehicle with the same previously; potententially described faux pas.

The operative objective is to tie a simple bow knot with the two narrow ends at the top of the thigh. The way to instant release is in pulling the 'key' end of the bowknot, which leaves the initial cross-over portion of the knot as expediently detachable as the described, initial release.

With my LC 9 I never do engage the safety, since the length of the trigger draw is about 2/3rds of an inch, and the force necessary on the trigger to discharge the weapon is something around five or more pounds. These facts also minimize the potential hazard of an AD.

Of course adjusting your thigh secured weapon - especially if employing something other than an LC-9 - entails the precaution of pointing it to miss harming yourself, while at the same time insuring an expedient withdrawal, with the advisory to slightly roll the thigh from its previous function of pinning the weapon down.

Hope those cordially invited details contribute to the emphatically important issue(s) commenced by the OP.

Best regards,
- Lakota