Curious: Why is Walmart always mentioned as the Concealed Carry Cherry? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Curious: Why is Walmart always mentioned as the Concealed Carry Cherry?

CDR_Glock
07-07-2012, 21:31
Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.

IndyGunFreak
07-07-2012, 21:37
Lot of people... if you're going to print, someone there is going to notice. Since every new CCW'er is worrying about printing... it's tough to imagine you being around more people than a busy Wal Mart.

Wal Mart *generally* has a reasonable friendliness towards gun owners. If you print, you might get the police called on you by a patron, but it's unlikely the manager would require you to leave, etc.. would probably just ask you to keep the firearm concealed. (at least this is what I've always read when people get made at Wal Mart).

Those are the main reasons.

LASTRESORT20
07-07-2012, 21:46
This policy is still in affect today 2012 and Wal Mart is progun/rights.
Below is the letter I received from corporate HQ to confirm what I am referring to:

DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM
Subject: RE: Firearms
Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.
The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.
We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.
Thank you,
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
This policy is still in affect today 2011.

nastytrigger
07-07-2012, 22:48
I've open carried at Wal-Mart multiple times, at least three different locations. Never had an issue.

I talk guns/ammo availability with the 'outdoor/camping' associates nearly everytime I'm there (you know, have to wait for them to show with a key to get ammo).

Sharky7
07-08-2012, 00:11
There was a humor thread about it on here.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd188/tus165/Walmarttactical-1.jpg

RussP
07-08-2012, 06:28
The Walmart trip is for ammo, WWB in the caliber of your choice, and to quell the fears that everyone is looking at the non-existent bulge on your waist. Once you make the Walmart walk...hey, you're good to go.

Now, the nacho thing, it's on the map, however it has nothing to do with the Walmart walk. The nacho legend is related to buying a concealed carry badge. Long ago someone asked about carrying a CC badge for whatever reason. Another member said to forget the badge and spend the money on a huge plate of nachos - the nachos are a better use of ones money.

As newbies joined GT, the two stories started merging. They are totally separate.

Arc Angel
07-08-2012, 07:23
As I remember it, WalterGA was - if not the originator, then - the poster who always made wisecracks about Wal-Mart and nachos.

Deye76
07-08-2012, 07:50
Maybe it's cause a lot of walmart customers wear their pajamas to the store. Easier to print when dresssed "hillbilly". One more reason to stay away from walmarts.

Cavalry Doc
07-08-2012, 08:00
Way back when....

The running joke around here was that you had to go to walmart to get nachos on your first day with your CHL. Just to show you that no one is going to notice. It's a bit of GT tradition. Unfortunately, most walmarts don't serve nachos any more.

Ahh the good ol' days, when GTCI used to be frequented by threads with the word "Nachos" in the title.

Times change.

Bren
07-08-2012, 08:15
Sorry if it This was a rude question. I couldn't think of a better way to ask it.

So every New CC License holder on the Internet talks about their first walk as a concealed carry member in Walmart. Why is that the case? Because it is the most common retail store in the country? Why not "The Mall" or "The Flea Market". I find those areas to be a higher functioning test since many more people are in your personal space.

Walmart is as close as many of these people will ever get to a dangerous neighborhood. It's very exciting and scary for them. It helps them imagine they are about to get into a gunfight.

You've never read the threads about almost drawing because somebody walked too close to a GTer in the Walmart parking lot? (Yes, that was at least 1 real thread here)

happyguy
07-08-2012, 08:43
You had to be there.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Stevekozak
07-08-2012, 09:19
Now, the nacho thing, it's on the map, however it has nothing to do with the Walmart walk. The nacho legend is related to buying a concealed carry badge. Long ago someone asked about carrying a CC badge for whatever reason. Another member said to forget the badge and spend the money on a huge plate of nachos - the nachos are a better use of ones money.

As newbies joined GT, the two stories started merging. They are totally separate.
That is good information! :)

RyanNREMTP
07-08-2012, 11:23
No matter where you go, there Wal-Mart is.

RussP
07-08-2012, 14:19
Way back when....

The running joke around here was that you had to go to walmart to get nachos on your first day with your CHL. Just to show you that no one is going to notice. It's a bit of GT tradition. Unfortunately, most walmarts don't serve nachos any more.

Ahh the good ol' days, when GTCI used to be frequented by threads with the word "Nachos" in the title.

Times change.No, no, no, Doc...The Walmart trip is for ammo, WWB in the caliber of your choice, and to quell the fears that everyone is looking at the non-existent bulge on your waist. Once you make the Walmart walk...hey, you're good to go.

As newbies joined GT, the two stories started merging. They are totally separate.:cool:

Rick C
07-08-2012, 14:39
The infamous thread about pocket carry in Victoria’s Secret was immediately locked and deleted, thus never attaining the legendary status of first time CCW and nachos.:whistling:

Redheadhunter21
07-08-2012, 14:51
It was the first place I CC'd, but I needed target ammo, and had just gotten my holster earlier that day. Kinda worked out that way, saw some friends even gave one a hug they had no idea.

Cavalry Doc
07-08-2012, 14:51
No, no, no, Doc...:cool:

Well, I am correct for my time. Thanks for the information on the historical underpinnings of the story I used to enjoy.

Cavalry Doc
07-08-2012, 14:53
The infamous thread about pocket carry in Victoria’s Secret was immediately locked and deleted, thus never attaining the legendary status of first time CCW and nachos.:whistling:

I'm guessing it got closed due to debate over who was packing compact or full sized models??? :whistling:

happyguy
07-08-2012, 15:01
No, no, no, Doc...:cool:

If I'm not mistaken WalterGA had something to say about many too fat GT members spending too much money on the nachos as well.

Too bad we can't resurrect some of those old threads. Gecko45's mall ninja thread was a classic.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Rick C
07-08-2012, 15:49
I'm guessing it got closed due to debate over who was packing compact or full sized models??? :whistling:
It quickly deteriorated into measurements, as do most threads.

bucky_925
07-08-2012, 15:59
I am convinced that you could carry a full size pistol on your ball cap in wal-mart and nobody would notice.

Rick C
07-08-2012, 16:28
^:rofl:
Open carry at it's best.

janice6
07-08-2012, 16:45

In Victoriea's Secret, carrying a full size weapon in the front pocket could also be construed as brandishing.

The gun might show too.

Cavalry Doc
07-08-2012, 16:46
In Victoriea's Secret, carrying a full size weapon in the front pocket could also be construed as brandishing.

The gun might show too.

Depends on the size you are carrying... :whistling:

I'd be in trouble.

Turk
07-08-2012, 17:44
[QUOTE=LASTRESORT20;19173272]This policy is still in affect today 2012 and Wal Mart is progun/rights.
Below is the letter I received from corporate HQ to confirm what I am referring to:

I was not aware that this policy existed. Just for interest sake do you know how they handle open carry in open carry states like Iowa?

jakebrake
07-08-2012, 17:49
I am convinced that you could carry a full size pistol on your ball cap in wal-mart and nobody would notice.

you could carry a ma duece on your head in your pajamas and no one would notice.

Rick C
07-08-2012, 17:51
It doesn't take long to see why the original pocket carry at Victoria's was sent away forever.
I think there was some confusion over centimeters and inches.:rofl:

LASTRESORT20
07-08-2012, 17:59
[QUOTE=LASTRESORT20;19173272]This policy is still in affect today 2012 and Wal Mart is progun/rights.

I was not aware that this policy existed. Just for interest sake do you know how they handle open carry in open carry states like Iowa?

.....Walmart is a business......They have rules for their business....I would imagine no open carry in all Walmart stores....just Concealed Carry which is fine with me...would save alot of time and Hassle....wouldnt want uninformed Walmart customers freaking out calling cops and management every few minutes....

ADK_40GLKr
07-08-2012, 18:03
Thanks, Russ & Doc for the history lesson, & everyone else for stimulating our imaginations! :supergrin:

jpa
07-08-2012, 23:11
I recall a poster who detailed his first ccw trip to Wal-mart to get ammo. It was written in the style of the mall ninja and back when Wal-marts had snack bars. His post included such details as stopping at the snack bar for nachos, browsing for concealment garments, etc etc.

IIRC this was back around 2001-2003. Yeah, I'm internet old. :)

RussP
07-09-2012, 05:54
I recall a poster who detailed his first ccw trip to Wal-mart to get ammo. It was written in the style of the mall ninja and back when Wal-marts had snack bars. His post included such details as stopping at the snack bar for nachos, browsing for concealment garments, etc etc.

IIRC this was back around 2001-2003. Yeah, I'm internet old. :)Hmm, you just poked a brain memory cell...

Ammo and nachos, ammo and nachos...could be.......:dunno:

CR500
07-09-2012, 10:49
I've open carried at Wal-Mart multiple times, at least three different locations. Never had an issue.

I talk guns/ammo availability with the 'outdoor/camping' associates nearly everytime I'm there (you know, have to wait for them to show with a key to get ammo).

+1, I live in Arizona thought... kind of like the wild wild west out here :tongueout: anyone can carry open as long as they are legally allowed to own a firearm.

but seriously, I have open carried in Walmart probably as many times as I've CC'ed. Never an issue.

dabigguns357
07-09-2012, 11:50

As long as you are within the law then it is fine till someone calls and you get investigated.Here in West Virginia you can open carry and as long as you can legally buy a gun,and yes we have several people who open carry in our store.Funny thing is most come it at like 3am or later.

SPIN2010
07-09-2012, 12:20
This policy is still in affect today 2012 and Wal Mart is progun/rights.

DATE: Friday, April 16,1999 2:13 PM
Subject: RE: Firearms
Thank you for contacting Wal-Mart regarding our concealed handgun policy. Wal-Mart was founded by Sam Walton on three basic principles. Strive for Excellence, Service to our Customers, and Respect for the Individual. It is that respect for the individual that led us to create the current policy pertaining to concealed handguns.
The following is our policy......If a Wal-Mart customer has been awarded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property, With the exception of law enforcement personnel, Wal-Mart does not allow any exposed weapons to be worn or carried in public view on Wal-Mart property or in Wal-Mart stores. Customers other than law enforcement personnel wearing or carrying a weapon in an exposed manner will be asked to leave the property immediately.
We appreciate your concern and trust that this message has addressed your concerns regarding this issue.
Thank you,
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
This policy is still in affect today 2011.

I used to work as a LP associate at wali wurld and I can tell you this is all corporate smoke and mirrors. I had people walk in with exposed weapons all the time and they were never asked to leave, in fact I got my donkey chewed for reporting a "Dark White" patron (glock hanging in a partial concealed-open position out of the pants) to the local police for a CCW check.

Safety at wali wurld is in your hands and you better be prepared that's all I can say. Good Luck!

Stevekozak
07-09-2012, 14:10
I used to work as a LP associate at wali wurld and I can tell you this is all corporate smoke and mirrors. I had people walk in with exposed weapons all the time and they were never asked to leave, in fact I got my donkey chewed for reporting a "Dark White" patron (glock hanging in a partial concealed-open position out of the pants) to the local police for a CCW check.

Safety at wali wurld is in your hands and you better be prepared that's all I can say. Good Luck!
You called the cops on some dude because he was carrying in Walmart?

quichedem
07-09-2012, 17:42
I'll tell you one thing: In my neck of the woods, you better damn well be packing if you go to Wal-Mart. Even the suburbs around the city have scary Wally Worlds. I actually loathe going there.
Forgot about 'ole WalterGA! I remember his posts. Where is that guy now?

Patchman
07-09-2012, 20:52
Walmart and movie theaters. Two venues where I feel the need to go armed. So I've stopped going to both.