Mini-14 > AR-15 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 > AR-15

Ballisticism
07-07-2012, 23:45
This should be good.
:popcorn:

Seriously, though... I bought a new Mini-14 and took it apart to clean and lubricate everything before firing it, and there were many tiny little metallic flakes on the patches I ran through the barrel. They appeared to be steel.

???

Could this be from the machining of the barrel? Could left-over flecks of steel in the barrel be the reason for reports of poor mini-14 accuracy? Has anybody else ever seen this in a new rifle?

BenjiEDF
07-08-2012, 00:35
You're getting the cart ahead of the horse. Go shoot it a bunch and get back to us. Also the cliche' "pics or it does not exist" is worth stating :whistling:

Ballisticism
07-08-2012, 05:35
The reason I bought one is because I shot someone else's.

So, you want pics of the patches, or the Mini-14?

The patches are gone, and I don't have a camera. I'd buy one, but I just spent my extra money on a Mini-14, so maybe next week.

Fed Five Oh
07-08-2012, 06:42
left over flecks have nothng to due with the mini-14's accuracy issue.

ak103k
07-08-2012, 07:06
The left over flecks were probably just left overs of the manufacturing process. I wouldnt worry to much about it, Ive seen it in other guns. You did right cleaning the gun first.

As far as accuracy goes, they seem to have addressed the issue with the newer Mini's. My buddy has a couple of the newer guns, and I was quite impressed when I shot them. The difference between them and the old 180/181's I've owned is pretty dramatic, and the newer guns are more in line with the AR's.

DonD
07-08-2012, 07:33
The newer, heavier barreled Minis, both 14 & 30 have much better accuracy than the earlier versions.

My Mini 30 is a 1.5 MOA gun off of the bench using Fiocchi ammo. Not a bench rest champ but certainly more than good enough for hunting. A fun and reliable gun.

I also love how incredibly easy and quick the cleaning process is. They hardly have any fouling anywhere except on the gas piston area and that doesn't need constant cleaning. Don

mingaa
07-08-2012, 07:41
Which version did you get and how much did you pay?? Is the question really Mini 14 vs
Starter AR?

Not a bad deal on LEO turn in Rugers $479 http://summitgunbroker.com/Mini_14_LE.html

ArmoryDoc
07-08-2012, 10:39
Metal flakes from machining. It's normal. You should see what ends up floating around in your oil in a new vehicle.

Decguns
07-08-2012, 14:06
I would have assumed Ruger test fired the rifle before packaging. They have to provide a fired case with new guns. So, there shouldn't be any metal flakes in the bore. Maybe copper flakes from feeding ammo, but not steel.

I can't remember ever buying a gun that had metal flakes in the bore. They're usually test fired, cleaned and lubed before shipment. And no, Mini-14 accuracy issues stem from loose tolerances, cutting corners to make it cheap to manufacture, and Bill Ruger's poorly designed "self cleaning" gas system. Those problems were finally fixed around 2008. Now it's a decent 2 MOA rifle.

faawrenchbndr
07-08-2012, 14:32
Ibtl.....

Bro KV
07-08-2012, 14:38
580???

GlockFish
07-08-2012, 14:39
Borderline trolling.

AZ Jeff
07-08-2012, 15:54
..... Bill Ruger's poorly designed "self cleaning" gas system.

Since you are performing a "final design review" of the Mini-14, please elaborate on how the design of the gas system on that rifle is so inferior to other fixed-piston/moving cylinder designs, such as the AR-180, the SA80, the L85, and the recent "piston driven" AR-15 derivatives.

I am really curious as to what your expertise tells us here.

Powerkicker
07-08-2012, 16:45
Gasblocks held on with clamping pressure of a couple screws makes me nervous.

ArmoryDoc
07-08-2012, 17:06

It's four screws. Never, ever have I read or heard of them failing catastrophically. Don't be a Henny Penny. ;)

WoodenPlank
07-08-2012, 17:09
It's four screws. Never, ever have I read or heard of them failing catastrophically. Don't be a Henny Penny. ;)

I think he was more thinking of the block walking loose. I have seen it happen with clamp-style blocks on an AR before.

DonD
07-08-2012, 17:12

Those screws are staked to preclude their loosening. Don

Bob Hafler
07-08-2012, 20:40
Borderline trolling.

I don't see anything borderline about it. When the post starts out.
This should be good.
If the OP had a serious question about these so called little metal flakes,(which my newer 580 does not seem to have or ever had)then why not just ask the question? Why bring the AR into it at all. Nothing but pure Bovine Excrement.

FireForged
07-08-2012, 20:48
this would be like talking about vw bug > porsche 911. I own both the Mini and the AR and you just cant reasonably compare the two, so I wont try.

brisk21
07-08-2012, 21:15
Im not a big fan of the mini, but I work in corrections (we use them alot!) and I'll admit that they just keep going and going and going. VERY robust, relaible, accurate guns. We have guns that are 25+ years old and they work great. They are very underrated, which makes them sell for cheap, which makes them a great choice for someone who doesn't want to shell out $900 for a good AR.

countrygun
07-08-2012, 21:21
this would be like talking about vw bug > porsche 911. I own both the Mini and the AR and you just cant reasonably compare the two, so I wont try.

I dunno about that. If what i have heard about the accuracy improvements are true. The Mini-14 is a fair competitor to a BONE STOCK AR.

Ballisticism
07-08-2012, 22:54
This should be good.
If the OP had a serious question about these so called little metal flakes,(which my newer 580 does not seem to have or ever had)then why not just ask the question? Why bring the AR into it at all. Nothing but pure Bovine Excrement.

It's a strategy to get views to the thread.

It's working.

Conan1
07-09-2012, 01:55
I have a NRA Mini-14 and my grandson kills a deer with it every year at about 75 yds. I hunt with the AR-15 and also get my deer. Both in .223 which is perfectly legal to hunt with in KY just in case ya'll were wondering......They drop where their hit using Win Ballistic Silvertips.

mingaa
07-09-2012, 14:13
I dunno about that. If what i have heard about the accuracy improvements are true. The Mini-14 is a fair competitor to a BONE STOCK AR.

They are right there in the same price range $650-$750 depending on trim. Ruger's more expensive proprietary 20 rd. mags is a point against in my opinion.

GlockFish
07-09-2012, 17:08
Borderline trolling.

This should be good.

Yeah, I was trying to be nice.

It's a strategy to get views to the thread.

It's working.

Definitely trolling.

CAcop
07-09-2012, 22:33
580???

Prefix in the serial numbers for the new Minis. 580-XXXXX, some are 581-XXXXXX.

CAcop
07-09-2012, 22:35
I think he was more thinking of the block walking loose. I have seen it happen with clamp-style blocks on an AR before.

Ruger machines a shelf in the barrel to hold it in place. They also torque the screws pretty hard and stake them in place. They can walk loose, especially if you adjust them to shoot better. It is a pretty easy fix.

CAcop
07-09-2012, 22:38

I think it is a bit like Glock vs. 1911.

The question that comes to mind is "Which AR-15?"

There are some AR-15 manufacturers I would stay very far from.

DJ Niner
07-10-2012, 01:22
The gas block screws loosening are not the only potential problems with the Mini-14's gas system.

Many years ago, I was firing my Mini when it suddenly seized-up and would not go into battery. I cleared the rifle, let it cool (I was shooting quite a bit, rapidly), and then inspected it. I still couldn't figure out the problem, so I went home and took it apart.

The gas port bushing had sheared in half, allowing the gas pipe (piston) to pop off the lower portion of the gas block and get jammed-up in the op-rod/slide area. The pipe/piston is normally held in place by the gas port bushing, which is "trapped" between the barrel and the gas pipe/piston when the gas block screws are tightened. It is pressed into a counter-sunk area on both the barrel and the gas pipe/piston, holding the gas pipe/piston in the lower part of the gas block while letting gas flow from the barrel to the pipe/piston through a tiny hole in its center.

Back then (early 1980s), I think the gas port bushing was shown as a 50-cent part on the parts list, so I sent Ruger an order for two (if it broke once, it can break again), along with a couple of bucks for shipping. They sent me the parts, and returned my money order, too, also including a brief apology for the problem. It was a fairly easy fix once I got the part, but if/when it happens, you are all done shooting, period.

I think I may still have the spare bushing in a parts drawer somewhere... a pack-rat 'til the end.

DJ Niner
07-10-2012, 01:43
Found this shooting problem diagnosis target while looking around for the Mini-14 schematic. Maybe someone will find it useful...

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6066/shootingproblemsdiagnos.jpg

Sharkey
07-10-2012, 09:15
I have both and I kinda like the nomenclature of the
Mini better. Mags seemed to be its downfall. That said, we went to a patrol rifle school 15yrs ago and the ARs had several malfunctions while the 2 Minis chugged along.

arclight610
07-10-2012, 10:53
Mini>AR-15? It must be opposite day.

ghostrider88
07-10-2012, 14:01
I have both minis & ars ,old & new like em all shoot em all really like my newest mini 14 tactial picked up lightly used $500 its good out to about 300m.

collim1
07-10-2012, 14:03
I always stick up for the mini, I am quite fond of them, especially the new ones with a flash hider and heavy barrel profile.

To the OP you did good to clean the gun well before taking it out the first time. I always give a new gun a thorough cleaning and run extra lube before the first time out.

I would not worry about the metal flakes unless the show back up after shooting.