Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9?

Redstate
07-08-2012, 09:12
Considering a Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9. Have not seen one in person; however, I have shot a friend's full size Bersa 9 (not the newer model with the polygonal rifling and rail), and it was very nice. Anyone with experience with the above referenced Compact model, please share your opinion on this pistol. Thanks.

checkyoursix
07-08-2012, 10:37
Meh. Shot it, wasn't that impressed. There are no long term reliability numbers, and you want to be as sure as possible of your carry gun.

From an economic standpoint, if you trade guns after a while a Bersa won't most likely be worth much at all.

elde
07-08-2012, 11:58
Perhaps another viewpoint for you.

I have one with approximately 600-700 rounds thru it. From the outset I've had no failures of any kind. The gun is 3" accurate at 15 yds. for me & is comfortable to shoot, and I truly like the ergonomics (grip, trigger, etc.). DA trigger is 8# & SA is 3.5#. My experience is that it is a nicely made, comfortable to shoot, cost-effective firearm. These guns also have great support should a repair be necessary.

Bersa's .380's and 9mm's are quality pieces. However, the Compact .45 seems to be a more problematic gun.

Lastly, if I were you, I would use the Ruger SR9c (not the SR9 - the SR9c) for comparison purposes. Same size or perhaps a shade smaller and a little lighter. Cost of the Ruger is maybe $50 higher, if that much. Capacity is 10 or 17 depending on the mag. This gun is a real value and a high quality firearm in my opinion.

You should be quite happy with either choice.

The_Gun_Guru
07-08-2012, 13:30
Had one and LOVED IT!!!

I sold it because I needed the money more than I needed the gun. I did feel that it is a tad "fat" and is definitely NOT a pocket pistol. I think you should hold one before you buy. I did not and wish I had.....but in my defense, there were no pocket 9's available when I bought the Bersa.

I LOVE Bersa pistols! They are reliable and affordable - DO NOT let anyone tell you different! I have two Thunder 380s that are AWESOME!!! I am looking to get the BP9DTcc (single stack 9) soon, which might be a better fit for you instead of the "fatter" Ultra Compact.

Here is a photo of the Thunder 9UC next to my Taurus 85 snubbie....which I also sold:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/gunguru364/MISC%20Pistols/0829081455.jpg

Good luck and have a great week!

TGG

Redstate
07-08-2012, 21:10
Thanks for the responses so far. It is very tempting. I hope to find one so that I can check it out in person as opposed to ordering one. By the way, how does it compare in size to a Glock 19? Looking at the photo with it next to the revolver, it looks like it is a lot smaller than the G19.

unit1069
07-08-2012, 23:12
I came very close to buying the Bersa 9mm UC.

I think it's an excellent value.

unit1069
07-08-2012, 23:13
Thanks for the responses so far. It is very tempting. I hope to find one so that I can check it out in person as opposed to ordering one. By the way, how does it compare in size to a Glock 19? Looking at the photo with it next to the revolver, it looks like it is a lot smaller than the G19.

It's smaller than the G-19 but the grip is wider if I remember correctly.

The_Gun_Guru
07-09-2012, 12:36
It's smaller than the G-19 but the grip is wider if I remember correctly.

You are correct, the grip is wider than the G19 and it is shorter overall, but not by very much.

I feel that the single stack Bersa 9 will be more comfortable to hold and shoot. I look forward to getting one very soon.

TGG

Redstate
07-09-2012, 18:09
Thanks for the replies. when you say the grips are "wider" than the G19 grips, are you saying thicker or greater distant from backstrap to front strap?

The_Gun_Guru
07-09-2012, 18:55
Thanks for the replies. when you say the grips are "wider" than the G19 grips, are you saying thicker or greater distant from backstrap to front strap?

No, from right side to left side.

Unless you have long fingers it makes it difficult to get a good finger on the trigger. I have short fingers so the gun just felt awkward to me.

DON'T GET ME WRONG!!!!:wavey: It is a great gun and was ALWAYS reliable when I did shoot it. I just didn't shoot it enough to justify keeping it when there are so many other guns that are more comfortable in my hand.

TGG

bac1023
07-09-2012, 19:42
I like the Bersa pistols quite a bit.

unit1069
07-10-2012, 10:50
I feel that the single stack Bersa 9 will be more comfortable to hold and shoot. I look forward to getting one very soon.

If that's the new BP9CC it looks like a very close competitor to the S&W Shield. I was interested in this pistol before the Shield was introduced but another GT member reported that the extractor on his BP9CC wore down (or chipped away) around the 500-600 round mark. I haven't heard any more about these new Bersas but would still be interested as long as I know the glitches are corrected.

The_Gun_Guru
07-10-2012, 14:45
If that's the new BP9CC it looks like a very close competitor to the S&W Shield. I was interested in this pistol before the Shield was introduced but another GT member reported that the extractor on his BP9CC wore down (or chipped away) around the 500-600 round mark. I haven't heard any more about these new Bersas but would still be interested as long as I know the glitches are corrected.

Like with every new pistol I'm sure the BP9cc has it's problems, that's probably why it took them so long to get it on the shelves.

I have not jumped on it yet....but I will very soon.

TGG