Do you place any extra value on guns bought from private sellers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you place any extra value on guns bought from private sellers?

mabgrac
07-08-2012, 10:37
I have been thinking about downsizing and simplifying my collection a bit. In doing so I would be selling a couple of guns that came from private sellers and being left with only guns that came through the lgs.

Any opinions on how important it is to keep at least one gun around that is "off the books" so to speak?

AK_Stick
07-08-2012, 10:43
Are you worried about your guns being traced back to you? If not, I don't know why you'd care.

bac1023
07-08-2012, 10:53
I wouldn't even think about it.

NZshooter
07-08-2012, 11:11
keep at least one gun around that is "off the books"
I doubt that anyone that thinks that's important would be responding to this thread.

plouffedaddy
07-08-2012, 11:15
I doubt that anyone that thinks that's important would be responding to this thread.

:goodpost:

mabgrac
07-08-2012, 11:17

Maybe I should have used the phrase purchased through private sale instead. There is nothing shady about the their origins, but I am I hope to live at least another 30 or 40 years and a lot could change politically in that amount of time. Maybe I should have posted in the S&P forum. :supergrin:

M2 Carbine
07-08-2012, 11:36
Any opinions on how important it is to keep at least one gun around that is "off the books" so to speak?
All things considered I (and friends) value a gun without a paper trail to be worth about an additional $100.

I end the paper trail every chance I get.

FTF sales.....here's the money...here's the gun...walk away.

If my life depended on it I couldn't remember a thing about most guns I bought and sold FTF.

And please don't come up with that old, "I want a Bill of Sale, etc, etc," to cover my butt if the gun is used in a crime.
One of the guns I sold FTF was used in a killing. The Police called me on the phone because I filled out the 4473 when I bought it from a dealer.
I said, I sold the gun to an individual (legally) and I have no idea where it's at.
The END.

longhair
07-08-2012, 11:58
I'm with M2 on this.

Decguns
07-08-2012, 13:52
I've been a gun dealer a long time. There's a entire community of aluminum-hat wearing guys out there who want guns with zero paper trail. Since these guys typically don't use the internet or cell phones, fearing the gov't is tracking them, it's difficult to find them unless you visit the local gun shops and shooting ranges. Do they pay more for a gun without a paper trail? I don't know. They don't buy guns from me!

Unless I buy a new gun from the manufacturer or their distributor, the ATF has no way of tracking them to me or the consumer. They don't know which guns I've bought used, so they have no idea who I sold them to. They're not allowed to keep records of NICS. I keep all the yellow forms you guys fill out at my shop. After 20yrs, they're trash anyway.

dnuggett
07-08-2012, 14:42
I don't place a premium, in fact it may very well be the opposite. Especially when I know that I am unlikely to receive manufacture support.

GlockFish
07-08-2012, 14:48
Doesn't matter to me.

Bruce M
07-08-2012, 15:08
The guys that I have seen would would pay a substantial (say 50% and up) premium over the value of a used gun would be the last guys I would want to do any kind of business with.

jakebrake
07-08-2012, 15:16
not in this lifetime...no vacations to club fed.

ChicagoZman
07-08-2012, 16:22
All other things being equal, no difference in value.

dnuggett
07-08-2012, 16:24

For what? A face to face sale?

Scamp
07-08-2012, 16:27
I wouldn't pay more for the gun that's for sure, value is the same to me.

F350
07-08-2012, 16:48
:yourock:All things considered I (and friends) value a gun without a paper trail to be worth about an additional $100.

If my life depended on it I couldn't remember a thing about most guns I bought and sold FTF.

And please don't come up with that old, "I want a Bill of Sale, etc, etc," to cover my butt if the gun is used in a crime.
One of the guns I sold FTF was used in a killing. The Police called me on the phone because I filled out the 4473 when I bought it from a dealer.
I said, I sold the gun to an individual (legally) and I have no idea where it's at.
The END.

:yourock::thumbsup:

mabgrac
07-08-2012, 16:52

My original question had nothing to do with anything illegal and really nothing to do with is a gun worth extra in a face to face sale. Although I have noticed it sometimes works that way and I respect M2's input.

What I am really asking is do many people find merit in having at least one gun in their collection that wouldn't show on a NICS form?

Personally I am undecided whether it matters to me or not, but I was thinking about it and wanted to see what others had to say.

geofri
07-08-2012, 16:58
All things considered I (and friends) value a gun without a paper trail to be worth about an additional $100.

The END.

Absolutely refreshing to hear. :cool:

CBennett
07-08-2012, 18:08
I couldnt care less where I got mine as long as its all legal. and ive bought and sold a bunch both ways(private and stores)

JDSTG58
07-09-2012, 14:16

fnfalman
07-09-2012, 14:24
I've been buying guns since 1980s. I don't think NICS was around back then.

The Pirate
07-09-2012, 15:09
I think you should keep one if it'll make you feel better. I don't see how it would really matter though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

07-09-2012, 18:14
FTF or LGS buys don't matter to me one way or another, except for paying no tax on a FTF deal.:cool:

CajunBass
07-10-2012, 06:52
I never even think about it. I'd probably have a hard time telling you which of mine I got where.