Sporterized Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sporterized Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 12:42
Finally got a chance to sight in my red dot sight on my Mosin. The results were impressive. The shots were at 100 yards with a 1X red dot sight.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 12:45

Bro KV
07-08-2012, 12:59
Very nice!!!!

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 14:04
Another thing, can anyone give me an idea on how to get those rings over the front sight without cutting them? I've tried to stretch them with pliers and another set of hands but no luck.

07-08-2012, 14:44
Remove the front sight?

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 15:50
Yea but there is also a folding bayonet that looks to be spot welded to the barrel. Ill have to take a closer look maybe I can get it off.

jakebrake
07-08-2012, 15:54
Yea but there is also a folding bayonet that looks to be spot welded to the barrel. Ill have to take a closer look maybe I can get it off.

i'd be hesitant to. they actually afect the accuracy of the old mosins. extending them will help even more. but they are supposedly balanced with the bayonet on the front of the rifle.

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 15:57
Yea that's what I've heard and taking a closer look I don't think I could take it off. I guess I'll just have to cut them off.

Njanear
07-08-2012, 16:27
It has been a long time since I looked at a M44 (I sold mine off years ago) but I do believe that the entire front signt assembly is threaded on and then pinned. I would look for the pinning and work through it - then you could sell the front sight, barrel bands, bayonet and sight/bayonet mount to a Mosin collector as spare parts, thereby making you a little money back on the deal.

BTW, what year and arsenal is the M44 marked with?

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 16:38
Does the whole bayonet assembly come off with the end of the barrel? It looks like one solid piece. I have tried to take the pin out and broke a punch. The year is 1955. The trigger on this one is pretty sloppy, but I also have a hex receiver 91/30 that's a dream to shoot

Decguns
07-08-2012, 17:00
The front sight base & bayonet lug is one piece that is "sweated" to the barrel and pinned in place. Remove the pins, heat it up with a torch and pull it off. Sometimes, they are soldered in place. Typically, there are two pins holding it on. One on top of the barrel under the front sight. The other going vertical on the side of the barrel by the bayonet lug.

Back in the 90's, I have a friend who sporterized Mosins. On the M44, he typically removed the front sight by drifting it off the base. Then cut off the bayonet lug. He blued the bare metal left behind. Kind of looked like an M1903A4 barrel when he was done... well, sort of.

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 17:10
Wouldn't it be a lot easier to cut the bands off? Do they have significant value? Or would I rot in Mosin hell for eternity?

07-08-2012, 17:42
Does the whole bayonet assembly come off with the end of the barrel? It looks like one solid piece. I have tried to take the pin out and broke a punch. The year is 1955. The trigger on this one is pretty sloppy, but I also have a hex receiver 91/30 that's a dream to shoot

It's not Russian.

The 1955 year makes it either Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, or Chinese depending on the markings. Those models are a little tougher to find.

The barrel bands have value to someone whole finds a sporterized mosin and wants to restore it back to original. If you start making permanent mods., I guess it doesn't really matter if you cut them off, because your rifle will never be stock again.

jakebrake
07-08-2012, 17:47
It's not Russian.

The 1955 year makes it either Romanian, Hungarian, Polish, or Chinese depending on the markings. Those models are a little tougher to find.

The barrel bands have value to someone whole finds a sporterized mosin and wants to restore it back to original. If you start making permanent mods., I guess it doesn't really matter if you cut them off, because your rifle will never be stock again.

why do i see him hacksawing a polish m44 in my mind?

or a type 53 chinese?

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 17:55
Haha havn't done it yet! I can't upload a pic of the markings for some reason. I got this Mosin from my grandpa who was a gunsmith, but his mind is starting to slip so he couldn't tell me much about it.

jakebrake
07-08-2012, 17:57
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks.htm

Dakota Carpenter
07-08-2012, 18:00
Thanks for the link it's a Romanian m44